Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scooterdanny

Tree Grafting

12 posts in this topic

The premise of the this suggestion is that tree's limbs may be transplanted between similar tree types, i suggest that one could take a sapling from one fruit tree (re-using the same item in this case) and "replant" it on the trunk of another fruit tree, this would allow for a variety of fruits to be grown on one tree, similar to real life. Although grafting does have different uses than just transplanting different fruit bearing branches. In some cases (like lumireaver mentioned a while back) this could be implemented to change the way that trees are planted, requiring either tilled earth, or a stump to plant a sapling.

I never knew that was possible .. Fruit salad trees :P

Maybe it could also be used to accelerate the growth of trees like hickory, by grafting them onto a pre-existing stump ?

I actually have an experience with Citrus trees grafting: You do it with a tool that cuts a crack in a log of a non-yeilding tree and plant a branch/sapling of a yeilding fruit tree in it

Basicly You'll need a tool, perheps a chisel to cut the log and attach the different sapling to it and close the cut with a rope/string

That's really cool, and would certainly be useful with fruit trees because then you wouldnt have to plant so many in a larger area :o...

maybe a more practical use is stacking up 'logs' of the same type of fruit tree, as a means of 'boosting' growth.

what i mean is: 1 red tree apple sapling gives you 1 log that starts growing, it takes ages for a second one to grow on top of the first one, so adding a second red tree apple sapling on top of the log you just placed would give you a 2block high tree already

the main reason besides asthetics is ,that you put the breed you like on better roots ( older, better resistence etc) so you can have a young (good harvest) plant with all the treats you like (size sweetness etc) and the old roots ( developed water/nutrition supply, better resistence, better adapt to drought,the ground etc)

so with tfc logic applied one could take appletrees plant them somewhere they like it, and graft an orange on it

or a oak on a pine tree etc

Wait, so all this time i could have a tree with 30 different fruits and all i've been growing is cherries. what the hell, internet, this would have been useful information two years ago.

It would be neat to have grafting implemented, but i think that the trees would need a lot more details coded into them, things like how hearty the root system is, how well the tree holds up in colder climates, how disease resistant it is, and other things like that.

The ultimate reason for grafting is not to have 5 types of fruit on one tree, cool as it may be, but to graft certain tree characteristics like fruit, onto other characteristics like a fast growing disease resistant root system/base.

I like the idea, but with the current level of detail on trees its not much useful.

Wait, so all this time i could have a tree with 30 different fruits and all i've been growing is cherries. what the hell, internet, this would have been useful information two years ago.

I feel the same .. Why did this never filter through to me before now ? o.o

maybe becouse its most used in france, austria and bavaria ( old empires/kingdoms/ big vine exporters) and its a damn hard work, the 2 plants have to be familiar, at least the same order/family depending on the class

maybe becouse its most used in france, austria and bavaria ( old empires/kingdoms/ big vine exporters) and its a damn hard work, the 2 plants have to be familiar, at least the same order/family depending on the class

I live in Scotland, which isn't far from France really :P

Hmm .. I don't have much of an interest in horticulture or agriculture to be fair, so I suspect that is why :P

Hey guys, this was an idea proposed by Sketchy when fruit trees came out.. It was rejected. Soo I am going to just give this a lock. If Bioxx is interested in pursuing this one again he can open the topic again :)