Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Why isn't minecraft as awesome as this ?

26 posts in this topic

http://www.blockscape.com/

Just saying, there would be so much more potential regarding blocks if MC was more like this game .. Just look at how pretty it is *.*

Yeah but it doesn't have nearly the amount of functionality. Yes it's pretty, but there's no farming, no hunting, no fishing, no survival. As far as I'm aware that is. I haven't played with it in a while, but it was pretty boring when I tried it.

Because it looks like Blockscape is being programmed by someone (or some people) who actually know a how to make a game.

Yeah but it doesn't have nearly the amount of functionality. Yes it's pretty, but there's no farming, no hunting, no fishing, no survival. As far as I'm aware that is. I haven't played with it in a while, but it was pretty boring when I tried it.

What is, "Beta Phase 1", Alex?

If you actually read the "About" section on the website, you'd notice that they are seem to state they are still working on the "engine" of the game, which includes the mechanics and physics for placing and removing blocks.

This is like complaining that Minecraft during early Alpha/Beta didn't have the same things that it does today.

This is like someone saying scaffolding is a really awesome house and all houses should have this scaffolding.

Fixed.

Sorry, until it's an actual game, I see no point in crowing about it. There's potential in a game. However, I seriously can't count the number of games I've been excited for because the idea was awesome.

Except the developers took it a whole new direction and it turned out to be shit to play.

that looks awesome...

now i'm asking myself if TFC could be ported to there : -just an imposible or extremely hard to accomplish wish :P-

EDIT: BTW; DarkLadyPhoenix...

Fixed.

*Snip*

Just a quote, from the strongestcraft thread. I'm sure you will recognise it.

Thanks. I love people who turn my words around. /sarcasm

*Snip*

-_- no hagas a otros lo que no quieres que te hagan...

If porting TFC to it were an option, I would be over the moon. I fear that, right now, that wouldn't be possible even if Bioxx wanted to as a lot of the basic engine features aren't there (might be wrong though :P)

Just a quote, from the strongestcraft thread. I'm sure you will recognise it.

Except there's a big difference between the two. Maybe you'll see it, maybe you won't. At least I have the common courtesy to do so.

If porting TFC to it were an option, I would be over the moon. I fear that, right now, that wouldn't be possible even if Bioxx wanted to as a lot of the basic engine features aren't there (might be wrong though :P)

It's almost definitely coded in an entirely different way. It would take much longer and we would be essentially rewriting all of the game features.

Don't know if this works with TFCraft, but if you have a powerful enough computer... Have you seen GLSL Shaders Mod? That can add quite a bit of prettiness to your minecraft, though I suspect at significant performance cost.

I think someone said it was uncompatible, and then Eternal said he wasn't starting his TFC LP until it was...? or something like that? don't know, was a long time ago :

I wonder about how well this will do. Minecraft built off of Infiniminer which only had a small cult success on the web. It was enough of a population moving over just as that game was dying to kickstart the Minecraft community. I have no idea how well entrenched the MC community is and how many have the time and money for another Minecraft game. These are incredibly social games and people won't move over if their friends are not playing regularly.

So yeah, just wait and see how it flies. It has a number of pretty features but those don't surprise me. Creator was sensible and used aesthetically pleasing colors instead of barfing out terrible high-res textures like the other minecraft clones. We will have to see how well creative options exist in the survival mode and how it affects said survival mode. Some of the screenshots show chunks loading in an area comparable to Minecraft or even a little smaller, so it's already hitting a certain technical wall as it is.

I think if it's like Minecraft, but improved, people will go to it. Especially if it's engine allows it to run better across a wide range of hardware. Part of MC's success and failures is it's java origins. It allowed for windows, linux, and mac gamers to play it, though the engine itself left the game pretty unoptimized. The game would also have to allow for modding support, as the lack of it will almost certainly be the death of it.

That said, people love minecraft and buy a lot of clones on it. Castleminer Z is, for all intensive purposes, a DayZ mod of minecraft sold on XBLA. While it is cheap at 1 dollar, its large selling numbers on a service that seems to offer absolutely no advertisement from microsoft (they seem to not ever advertise games from their indie section) makes me think the minecraft-like games still wanted. If they're identical, but cheaper, people will buy them. If they're the same price but better, people will flock to them.

Hmm .. Well I have tormented myself by looking over some of the user creations. You should see some of these !

I have actually done a SWOT analysis on the game (SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats - It is a management technique and is pretty useful for situations like this, it's pretty self explanatory)

Strengths - Better graphics than most competitors

World gen is much nicer (not just graphically, slopes etc. improve appearance) than most others

Diversity of block choices in terms of shape

Weaknesses - Still in early development, so missing many features

There has already been one "memory scare" where the game was crashing due to running out of memory. This could re-appear as the game seems fairly resource intensive

Control system is apparently more complex than other games in the genre

Practically unknown to the gaming community

Opportunities - Early in development, can avoid mistakes made by other games in the genre

Many older minecraft fans are disenfranchised with the basic game, most play heavily modified games, potential market ?

Could make the game more open to modding than others, modding community really brought life to minecraft despite obfuscation. Without these barriers, innovative mods would be easier.

Threats - Could easily be labelled a minecraft clone if it does not keep away from well known minecraft tropes (zombies seem to be voxel industry standard mobs now)

Small customer base, could potentially simply "disappear"

Only one programmer, workload may be too much

I know most of you won't have cared about what preceded there, but it is an interesting technique for analyzing early stage concepts and assessing their viability in the world at large. I feel that the game could be a success, but only if it is done right.

Zombies are standard in every game now. First it was the nazi's during the WW2 craze, then the Russians, now it's zombies. I mean, just think about the number of games that have zombies in them.

Now if he has a giant, green, hissing pen- thing.... or a skeleton archer, that's another story. Zombies though? Nah.

Modability, low-end performance (by that I mean how well it runs on less that great hardware), and its take on survival mode is what will make or break this game. If it's purely creative, I don't see it being that successful. If it has all it's features it has now PLUS a great survival mode that is MP compatible? I'd certainly get it.

I know zombies have become go to generic mob #1 .. But I mean, there are so many other generic starter mobs to choose from ! Goblins for one :P

I think you're right .. The mobility isn't a big deal for me, but is for others ... I totally agree with you though .. If the survival is good and so if the multiplayer, it could be a real winner :P

Triangles ?..............

YOU. SHALL. NOT. PASS.

just kidding guys :P looks nice, and it seems the more artistic and creati

ve people here will go nuts on this at some point :D

-snip-

Worse than that actually .. Circles ! Real (arguably not as they are really just many many many many sided polygons but shoosh) circles !

For the first look (i just watched video on game's page) it's just minecraft on steroids (smaller blocks, slopes, etc. + better graphics). But it has big potential.

What comes out, it will turn out in future.

Minecraft started new game genre already, that's not the last similiar game we'll see.

For the first look (i just watched video on game's page) it's just minecraft on steroids (smaller blocks, slopes, etc. + better graphics). But it has big potential.

What comes out, it will turn out in future.

Minecraft started new game genre already, that's not the last similiar game we'll see.

Oh god no, there are already hundreds of minecraft clones and some of them even have similar features to blockscape.

You point about it being minecraft on steroids .. I'm not so sure.

The base gameplay mechanics are the same, but just by the merit of it's additional features, I would argue they are apples and oranges. Or more precisely granny smith apples and macintosh apples. They are related (by their genre defined by the core gameplay mechanics) but they are divergent games. It would be a bit like saying that Sonic the Hedgehog is just Super Mario on steroids. At their core, they are both platformers and share a good number of features, but they are divergent to the point where one would not be considered directly related to the other. (Though there is no doubt that the Mario series was the predecessor to all platformers, just as inifiminer was the predecessor to all voxel based building games)

I actually own the full version of this game, and its pretty kick ass already. Yeah no survial mode, and nothing even remotely resembling a 'tool' in the game. I wouldnt say its complicated to use, and dude... the kick ass shit you can make in it :D. Its in phase I beta ATM, with three planned phases. Phase 2 is supposed to bring survival and whatnot (im imagining something like MC Classic) and phase 3 is a 'secret'.

If possible to modify it enough I'd consider doing TFC for that in the future. I love c# and XNA :)

If possible to modify it enough I'd consider doing TFC for that in the future. I love c# and XNA :)

Joy ! :D

I would buy it just for that if it turns out to be worth it, downloading demo now. haha

If you really wanted to go big a standalone game would be awesome... I'd pay $60 for that, though I'm sure that's not normal. x]

I'm tempted to like this innumerable amounts of times, If this became so, i would be a very happy person, provided that the engine can support it/ be good enough for it.