Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
cevkiv

Ore visibility/distinguishability

49 posts in this topic

Search function failed me, so I'm starting a new thread.

I have been playing b47, and while digging I got a hit on my propick that said I was near some sphalerite. Excited, I continued digging. I believe the rock I was in was Shale.

Anyway, I'm digging and digging and digging, and I'm more or less right where the deposit should be (I know how to use a propick).

Anyway, I'm breaking blocks with my pick and I break a shale block and it drops sphalerite. I'm all "WTF, Mate?". And then it happens again and again and again, but seemingly randomly.

Anyway, what was happening, if you didn't figure it out (and it took me a while to) was that the sphalerite was extremely hard to distinguish from the surrounding shale. And by hard to distinguish I don't just mean, "I couldn't tell at a glance what was what" I mean I had to turn the brightness all the way up and lean in towards my monitor and get a good, hard, long look at the blocks around me to even be able to get it right 50% of the time.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? The sphalerite was mixed in with a bunch of tetrahedrite -- the tetrahedrite showed up fine.

Should ores be made more distinguishable?

Search function failed me, so I'm starting a new thread.

I have been playing b47, and while digging I got a hit on my propick that said I was near some sphalerite. Excited, I continued digging. I believe the rock I was in was Shale.

Anyway, I'm digging and digging and digging, and I'm more or less right where the deposit should be (I know how to use a propick).

Anyway, I'm breaking blocks with my pick and I break a shale block and it drops sphalerite. I'm all "WTF, Mate?". And then it happens again and again and again, but seemingly randomly.

Anyway, what was happening, if you didn't figure it out (and it took me a while to) was that the sphalerite was extremely hard to distinguish from the surrounding shale. And by hard to distinguish I don't just mean, "I couldn't tell at a glance what was what" I mean I had to turn the brightness all the way up and lean in towards my monitor and get a good, hard, long look at the blocks around me to even be able to get it right 50% of the time.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? The sphalerite was mixed in with a bunch of tetrahedrite -- the tetrahedrite showed up fine.

Should ores be made more distinguishable?

Sphalerite had it's texture changed a while back, so yeah, that was the problem. That's part of the challenge though, isn't it? It's not always plain as day when prospecting for ores.

Was going to make a thread for something similar kind of. Textures need updates all of them this is a relatively low priority thing but it should happen eventually, they are all the same even the shape of the vein is the same block after block after block a little variety would be nice, I understand there is a large problem with this as we can't make things shiny without dropping compatibility with a lot of things and almost completely destroying fps (if I'm wrong tell me), however just some different shades and shapes would be great. Possibly add a couple ores to take advantage of this namely bornite and pyrite (peacock ore and fools gold).

Sphalerite had it's texture changed a while back, so yeah, that was the problem. That's part of the challenge though, isn't it? It's not always plain as day when prospecting for ores.

Yeah, but I'm fairly sure if I am surrounded on all sides by Shale and Shale mixed with Sphalerite, I could tell the difference between the two by the fact that sphalerite forms as crystals and I have depth perception. With textures on blocks, I'm denied the use of my depth perception. Additionally, there's a good chance that the sphalerite would not be similarly colored as the shale it was in.

And I don't consider it a challenge. This mod walks an extremely fine line between complexity and tedium, and making the difference between an ore and the rock within which it is occuring so slight that I literally have to stare at my screen for 10-20 seconds and even then I'm only getting it right half the time is just tedious. And why should one ore be so indistinguishable, while another is readily distinguishable?

I understand having a ore of one color in a rock of a similar color, but, as I said above, in real life, there are ways to distinguish between substances like that which we don't have in TFC.

What i would like to see, is if there are 2 veins present of different kinds, that the propick will list both, that only makes sense. you can also try lighting your mines cevkiv, i find that really helps.

Oh look at that, a texture pack. If you can't see something, use or make one that allows you to.

Oh look at that, a texture pack. If you can't see something, use or make one that allows you to.

how did you get a warn status with only 34 posts?

how did you get a warn status with only 34 posts?

Because he's an ass. The majority of his posts are just made to troll people, so it doesn't surprise me :P

Because he's an ass. The majority of his posts are just made to troll people, so it doesn't surprise me :P

although in this case you're completely right (don't know about his other posts)

still he gives a solid remark,although the way he puts it, sucks and makes him sound like a total ass, i agree.

anyways, he's right though, if you don't like how the textures look, just go and edit them a bit (if you know how) or just use another tex-pack, i'm used to using the official tex-pack, but there's a faithful tex-pack on the 'texture packs' thread and there's also a dokucraft port (don't know if this one is complete though)

If I made a texture pack to improve ore visibility, I would probably literally put a giant red and green X on all the ore.

If I made a texture pack to improve ore visibility, I would probably literally put a giant red and green X on all the ore.

I think I'm probably going to up the contrast on the ore blocks at some point in the near future (probably when I finish my placement so I can stay up till ungodly hours again)

When I do this, I'll send you a link (presuming it works).

wow, where'd you get that?

from the link you quoted, obviously

I try my hardest.

I'm using this texture pack. It's awesome

https://dl.dropbox.c...8/terraRock.png

wow, where'd you get that?

He got it from me on bugtracker. Although that's the only png I put there. He doesn't have the rest of the near complete TFC support.

He got it from me on bugtracker. Although that's the only png I put there. He doesn't have the rest of the near complete TFC support.

Credit where credits due, that is a very nice texture pack, I also saw your swords which looked excellent.

Some anonymous posted that, It doesn't seem to be you...

perhaps some kinds of ores should have a white or yellow outline around the vain texture.

white could be quartz and yellow could be sulfides :)

it would make the existing textures look more interesting and a little easier to detect

Bornite...

Posted Image

sphalerite. not all minerals are so visible

Posted Image

Bornite...

Posted Image

sooo.. many... colors...

-throws up rainbow-

sooo.. many... colors...

-throws up rainbow-

You may be homosexual, you should probably go see a doctor

You may be homosexual, you should probably go see a doctor