Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Lamps, Candles and Torches oh my! (new lighting ideas)

153 posts in this topic

Alright so i was thinking about how silly it is that, you light a stick on fire, slap it onto the side of your log cabin, and boom light with no consequence

seems legit right?

yeah no, there should be other ways to light thing up other than that

Candles:

using tallow, or beeswax, and some string, you could make some candles that would be lit with a lighter and placed on special wall brackets or just ploped down on the floor or a table, these would act like torches do now, but would only stay lit for one night, so you can light up your home while you work, also, you can right click a lit candle to blow it out so you can sleep. when they die out, you would get a candle stump, which you could melt down and use to make more candles hooray for recycling

Lanterns:

later in the game you could craft some lanterns out of cast iron and glass, these would require oil to run. oil could be obtained from animals that you kill. you would fill your lantern up, light it with a lighter, and off you go. These would emit light when held and could be placed on walls and even hung from the ceiling. instead of becoming useless when they burn out, you just fill em up again. or you could check the oil level by right clicking and opening a GUI where you could put more oil in so they stay lit

also, you can put a candle in the lantern frame and it would work just like a candle and you could place it like a lantern

Torches:

if you really want to, torches are still a simpe form of light, there would be two kinds of torches plain and oil soaked torches. the plain ones are just like the ones now, sticks on fire. you can hold them and they give off light, also you can light things like wool, hay, thatch, and other flammable substances on fire with them. oil soaked torches are made by soaking a cloth in oil and wrapping it around a stick's end and lighting that. these last much longer than normal torches and can even be placed if you make a bracket to mount it on. even still these pose a seriouls fire hazard to your wooden shelter, so dont use them if your house is flamable

Sleep:

not too sure about this one, but maybe you would not be able to sleep if it's too bright, i for one have to have my room completely dark to sleep. so maybe light sources would keep you from sleeping and you would have to put them out before going to bed

note: to any of you who are like "ermegherd make my house dark at night? mernsters are gonna spawn!"

TFC is removing those monsters from the overworld and into the underground reaches of the earth, it will be safe to have a dark house as long as you keep it secure and dont let any wild animals in

I don't know about putting out light sources. I've fallen asleep quite well on the couch in the middle of the afternoon. Besides, fire pits may help to deter wolves and bears at night, so you might not want to put those out.

On another note, an important part of human culture is trying to prove you're better than everyone else, (sad, but true). Like beds, discussed in the other forum thread, candles may not have any function that torches don't have, they may just be harder to get, and have a different appearance, thereby making them a sort of prize. If you're roleplaying or just want to say to others "Look how rich I am!" you can illuminate your house with alternate light sources.

I also plan to make more of the more useless metals usefull, with things such as brass candelabras or other such aesthetics. Would add a nice use to those metals you never wanted to make.

(I think the reason brass is there in the first place is because you have copper and zinc and the ability to make alloys, so why the fuck not?)

I don't know about putting out light sources. I've fallen asleep quite well on the couch in the middle of the afternoon. Besides, fire pits may help to deter wolves and bears at night, so you might not want to put those out.

im saying once you have a secue house, you dont need to have torches on every block just to keep mosters from spawning

im saying once you have a secue house, you dont need to have torches on every block just to keep mosters from spawning

That's already been established. Monsters won't spawn in darkness. (If you choose to make your house in one of the ancient crypts however, sucks to be you...)

That's already been established. Monsters won't spawn in darkness. (If you choose to make your house in one of the ancient crypts however, sucks to be you...)

yeah i was saying that sence you dont have to keep the lights on all the time, you should need it to be at least quasi dark to sleep

and even still i was tentative on this idea in the first place

+1 from me

Few things:

Source for wax will need to be added for candles, and if it isn't made easily available, then perhaps candles shouldn't be replacing torches entirely. They should also go for much longer, like an RL day instead of a minecraft one.

Huge +2 for lanterns, though I think olive oil could be used just as well. Also you could right-click the lantern in world to change its state, and shift-right click to bring up a gui for adding oil. If this could be incorporated with dynamic lighting and used in-hand as well as in world, I can 100% see TFC turning into a case of 'You went underground to look for ore? Welcome to Amnesiacraft'. You could even add oil to the available loot (I'm assuming there will be loot for fucking monsters everywhere).

Your torch suggestion implies that dynamic lighting will automatically be included with TFC, which I don't know that it will. Better use for simple torches is that they burn out after a minecraft day, can still be placed in-world, and light nearby flammables automatically.

+1 from me

Few things:

Source for wax will need to be added for candles,

ummm

Candles:

using tallow, or beeswax, and some string

yeah

but thanks for agreeing with me

ummm

yeah

but thanks for agreeing with me

...Oh so you've seen tallow and beeswax in game?

Unless I've REALLY not been paying attention to the release update list

...Oh so you've seen tallow and beeswax in game?

Unless I've REALLY not been paying attention to the release update list

i was suggesting that they be added, to me when you were talking about making there be some way to get wax it sounded like you missed me talking about the wax

sorry about that i shouldve been more clear

i was suggesting that they be added, to me when you were talking about making there be some way to get wax it sounded like you missed me talking about the wax

sorry about that i shouldve been more clear

Oh lol, yeah

No I got that, I'm just saying that in order for candles to be a thing, these would HAVE to be implemented,

Now butchery is nearly confirmed, so tallow I can maybe see happening... but bees? Idk if Bioxx wants to be stepping on SirSengir's toes...

Oh lol, yeah

No I got that, I'm just saying that in order for candles to be a thing, these would HAVE to be implemented,

Now butchery is nearly confirmed, so tallow I can maybe see happening... but bees? Idk if Bioxx wants to be stepping on SirSengir's toes...

Bioxx mentioned tallow back in june when we first started discussing butchery.

Bioxx mentioned tallow back in june when we first started discussing butchery.

Yeah ok, so there ya go.

But bees?

Yeah ok, so there ya go.

But bees?

too much work, too little profit. Besides, it would probably wind up being my problem :(

Yeah, plus 1 on all alternate lighting, also + 2 on dynamic light, oh god imagine amnesia minecraft in a crypt *shudder* Want! but tallow, and oil i see working. bee's wax or some other creature's wax could be added as a loot item, (Dreugh Wax anyone?) like eternal said.

too much work, too little profit. Besides, it would probably wind up being my problem :(

So less 'we don't feel it would be worth it', and more 'I just spent the past month and a half of my life teaching a computerized deer how to not kill itself by trying to move more than an inch at a time, so go fuck yourself'

So less 'we don't feel it would be worth it', and more 'I just spent the past month and a half of my life teaching a computerized deer how to not kill itself by trying to move more than an inch at a time, so go fuck yourself'

are you insulting me? I can't really understand what you're saying.

are you insulting me? I can't really understand what you're saying.

I don't think so .. I think it was a tongue in cheek hint at the fact you've just spent months coding one animal, so it's understandable if you want to avoid bees :P

k a lttle off topic here but how would one post a picture of something?

k a lttle off topic here but how would one post a picture of something?

Is it hosted online ? If so, use image tags which are like this (take out the dots .. I put them in to make the tags show up)

[.img] [./img]

You then right click on the image and select "copy image url" then paste it inbetween the image tags :)

If it's not hosted online, upload it to a website like Picasa, photobucket, imgur ect, then repeat the above steps :P

Is it hosted online ? If so, use image tags which are like this (take out the dots .. I put them in to make the tags show up)

[.img] [./img]

You then right click on the image and select "copy image url" then paste it inbetween the image tags :)

If it's not hosted online, upload it to a website like Picasa, photobucket, imgur ect, then repeat the above steps :P

well that explains why i cant haz pictures on this forum

thanks ^_^

one could use pitch instead of oil (also for the torches)

or alcohol (since its implementation is already discused in the medicin thread (we got fruit and wheat sooooo =)))

or alcohol (since its implementation is already discused in the medicin thread (we got fruit and wheat sooooo =)))

So i will be ableto sit down in my house, think about my problems, and drown them in tequila? o,o me likes this

Wait, so our tavern will actually have a use?

the devs could have a look at ic^2 for alblakas booze/coffe and coco system :3

If you choose to make your house in one of the ancient crypts however, sucks to be you...

Ancient crypts? Should i be leaving structures on when i create a tfc world? I havent been.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0