Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Chezzik

Finding rock for flux

18 posts in this topic

The wiki lists 4 kinds of rock that can be used for flux. I've gone on a lot of hunting expeditions, and have found almost every rock type except for those four (by picking up stones on the ground).

Am I just unlucky, or are these rock types only available deep in the earth?

It's entirely random. I once found the White Cliffs of Dover in a TFC game. You just have to be lucky.

Indeed, there is luck involved. I would assume it's possible for those rock type to also spawn below the surface rock, which means you may have walked over it and not realized it.

Yeah, I've dug in the ground occasionally to see if it was any different than the stones on top.

The types I've found so far:

Dacite

Diorite

Slate

Quartzite

Chert

Granite

Conglomerate

Gneiss

Claystone

Rhyolite

Siltstone

Gabbro

And, of course, most of the ore I've found is copper. It's all sitting nicely in my chests, waiting for me to get flux!

Maybe you could try your luck finding Dolomite mountains. They are somewhat easy to spot, being quite dark. Also, have you tried digging down a few layers of stone? If you can spare the pickaxes, I recommend you build a stair corridor down to layer 40: It may serve as a mine, plus you will break through at least 3 or 4 layers of stone.

I don't know about Limestone, but the last time I found some, it was in a desert. Maybe you'll be lucky in one of these?

If you want to conserve materials, screw lower layers and just check the rocks lying around. Go in one direction strictly so you find back to your home afterwards. If you pick up a viable rock, mine yourself a stack of that mineral and be done with flux for a long time :)

EDIT: I forgot to explicitly answer your question: Yes, you were unlucky. Dolomite can be visible from the surface, at least in 47f.

Well, a lot has happened since I posted this.

I did try digging down a few layers, but it always gave me the exact same stone as the rocks above. When I walked through deserts and jungles, however, there were no rocks on the surface, so I did have to dig down to see what kind of stone was in the area. Still, no luck. By the way, has anyone else encountered grassy deserts? I hit at least one.

As far as digging down to level 40, I did. Twice. Each time, I saw three layers of rock, none of them usable for flux. One of those times, I saw basalt, so I guess I should have listed it in the list also.

The next new type of rock I found was Andesite. There's not many more non-flux types rock left! My focus turned to searching for flux 100% of the time.

Rock types seemed to go with the biomes, about 1:1. When you cross a biome boundary, the rock type changes. Sometimes you can have two similar biomes next to each other (ie. Forest 3 and Forest 4), and not realize that they are different, other than the types of rocks you see on the ground.

I finally found Marble, but it was a tiny little biome, with only about 8 rocks on the surface, and my pickaxe was at home, which was about 1700m away.

So, I started the long hike home. On the way home, I found chalk, and lots of it. I actually was able to pick up enough rocks from the surface that I never needed to come back with my pickaxe. I quickly made my copper anvil, and then my bronze anvil. The history books in my world will read that modern technology could not have ever formed without the discovery of chalk!

Congratulations, brave miner! May Mother Earth be with us at all times, and may she forgive our greed.

Thanks to everyone having given their advice in this thread! Read it all with gratitude, 'cause it took ages for me to find my own flux material. Sadly, none of these replies were helpful in my case. That's why I had to come up with my own strategy, which bore fruit almost immediately. Probably, someone will find it helpful - 

Search the ocean bottom! In that case, you don't have to look for dry land, which is scarce. And it's not that hard once you've got the hang of it. Go 500 cubes by boat, dismount, drop the torch to give you a reference point underwater, and dive in. If the bottom is not made up of the material needed, go up, get back to your boat, go another 500 cubes, repreat. The ocean bottom is just at the distance of one lungful of air - chances of dying are miniscule. And if you've got lucky and found the flux material (dolomite, in my case) - put some blocks at the bottom, make a 1-block roof above your head and place a torch to give you a block of air (this is not a bug abuse, I hope?), then start digging. Yes, and make sure you have some spare planks in your inventory - shall your vessel sail away while you're being busy underwater, you'll be able to come up with a replacement.

There are two tips that make it a tiny bit easier:

1. Rock Salt has veins of flux bearing stone.

2. If you find malachite, then there is a marble layer under the top layer.

I had similar bad luck like chezzik, spend more than one game year without flux and therefore no armour, even leather.

Of course one can say that it is art of game, but I found it little annoying (which was of course rewarded finally by 'is it diorite again? no, it is chalk!' enthusiasm).

Anyway, I decided to put some emergency source of flux in my modpack. The most elegant way would be define calcite drops from breaking stalagmites, but have no idea how to manage this with existing mods only, without coding. But I discovered, that sometimes sculls of cave skeletons, after milling them into light gray powder and heating it, are spare source of CaO.

In our server we added the coral mod and made a recipe for flux by crushing coral. I guess it makes sense in a way. Is not enough for much, but it will give you a boost until you find the right stone type.

17 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

In our server we added the coral mod and made a recipe for flux by crushing coral. I guess it makes sense in a way. Is not enough for much, but it will give you a boost until you find the right stone type.

Do you mean Coral Reef mod?

Yes, the old Nandonalt's Coral Reef mod it was updated to 1.7.10 and it works fine in our server. It has in game config options so it is very easy to use and configure. 

Here.

Heh, my problem with my most recent world spawn is that all the surrounding rock is Granite on the surface and Gneiss for the second layer... which I only know about because I went down the stairs for a dungeon tower and saw it. There is literally no way for copper to spawn on the surface anywhere near spawn in this world... I'd have to have a pick to search the Gneiss for it since it's so deep down. I've got a long trek ahead of me to find some copper, I guess.

*Update*

Found some copper finally after noticing a patch of Andesite rock. Plenty of those Dragon Skull ruin things around for Marble to get flux... so now I should be on the way up the tech ladder again! :D

Edited by Dragnier

10 hours ago, Dragnier said:

Heh, my problem with my most recent world spawn is that all the surrounding rock is Granite on the surface and Gneiss for the second layer... which I only know about because I went down the stairs for a dungeon tower and saw it. There is literally no way for copper to spawn on the surface anywhere near spawn in this world... I'd have to have a pick to search the Gneiss for it since it's so deep down. I've got a long trek ahead of me to find some copper, I guess.

*Update*

Found some copper finally after noticing a patch of Andesite rock. Plenty of those Dragon Skull ruin things around for Marble to get flux... so now I should be on the way up the tech ladder again! :D

What other mods do you have loaded - just curious...

By the descriptions it looks like he is playing Terrafirmapunk.

"dragon skull ruin things"?  Are those TerraFirmaPunk?

(Or do you think he means the Easter Island heads?)

8 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

What other mods do you have loaded - just curious...

Tony is correct, I am using the TerraFirmaPunk pack.