Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Simmstein

Scorched ground

312 posts in this topic

My idea is basically that fire turns grass and dirt to dry, scorched land.

I was watching a video of the once-again wildly spreading fire in Snapshot 12w34a where they burnt down a jungle. What was left was a nice lively green meadow, I think it would be great if there was a mechanic in tfcraft where as fire causes dirt/grass blocks to turn into scorched earth blocks, leaving a desolate landscape after forest fires & takes time for grass & plants to grow back like irl.

pros

• it is way more realistic
  • it gives more aesthetic diversity (maybe build dark fortress with a lava moat in the middle of a burnt forest ;] or etc. )
  • it might provide more attention to fire safety which is an ecological concern /there have been a lot of forest fires this summer.../
  • -it provides a nwecallage to the player : rebuild the damaged environment
cons
  • it will probably make the already hefty large fires even more CPU intensive
  • it might lead to some rage/grief after your carefully and slowly build, organised and nurtured fruit tree farm burns down to usles dirt
  • it doesn't seem like an essential aspect of tfcraft /but it would be cool to have it/
  • it might be hard and/or time consuming to code
A simpler alternative...maybe? :huh:

Just having the grass turn back to dirt after it burns. Should still create the "desolate look" with less work.

"

+ easier & faster to make, less CPU load

- not quite as nice looking/realistic /but much more doable?/

Please add any pros/cons, ideas, opinions and such you might have ^_^

Would be cool, but a bitch to code, sorry, but IMO the cons outweigh the pros, Welcome to the forums though!

Would be cool, but a bitch to code, sorry, but IMO the cons outweigh the pros, Welcome to the forums though!

Yeah i thought it might be troublesome to code but i can't really code so idk :D

btw tnx, been following the mod since it came out, but never came around to visiting the forum before xD

Instead of a whole new texture, would it be any easier to make it dirt? maybe just the ground the fire spreads in top of i.e. grass blocks are flammable and turn to dirt, or even have grass blocks disappear as logs and tall grass does.

this definitely would be awesome but i agree it would be too much work for what it is

I was about to make a long post explaining why i didn't wanted this to be implemented, but everyone else had writed the exact same thing in a single line :

So...

+1

Instead of a whole new texture, would it be any easier to make it dirt? maybe just the ground the fire spreads in top of i.e. grass blocks are flammable and turn to dirt, or even have grass blocks disappear as logs and tall grass does.

I guess that would save the whole task of making new textures and blocks and probably some other stuff too.

Having the blocks disappear I feel could cause some unwanted side-effects and bugs tho.

But having the grass disappear seems like an easier and maybe viable substitute, not quite the same, but it seems the original might not be a plausible option.

hmmmm =/

also the scorched earth should have more nutrients (burning down part of a forest is a commen way of fertilizing an area (south/middle america russia etc)

That seems a bit difficult to code Gizmot, just saying.

also the scorched earth should have more nutrients (burning down part of a forest is a commen way of fertilizing an area (south/middle america russia etc)

myeehh, i kinda like the whole "burn the verry earth they live on so they can never return because actually fires kill all the microorganisms in the soil, making it pretty much "dead land"

also, thanks to your signature, i will follow you like a lost grammar puppy from now untill the end of my days

Well Srg, this is a commonly done practice (or was) it does return the nutrients to the soil, endospores and deeper organisms return to the surface, others are brought by animals, sediment, and wind. it is hardly dead land for long.

Clearing forest and vegetation with slash and burn would be metal as fuck. If fire turned grass blocks into dirt blocks and removed grass/saplings/flowers etc. that would be enough, wouldn't it? Maybe with the new nutrient system it could raise the value of the dirt blocks affected.

also some plants can only prcreate if they are burnt dont ask me wich :P

myeehh, i kinda like the whole "burn the verry earth they live on so they can never return because actually fires kill all the microorganisms in the soil, making it pretty much "dead land"

also, thanks to your signature, i will follow you like a lost grammar puppy from now untill the end of my days

if you want to do that, salt the earth like the romans did

if you want to do that, salt the earth like the romans did

Ooooh :P

I'd quite like the ability to "salt" the earth to be added :D

It'd give so much more meaning to conquering another factions city and destroying it :P

the same effect should have over fertilizing

The first biological warfare!

The first biological warfare!

the aegyptens catapulted corpses into enemy fortifications and cities, and in greece some cities used plants to poisen the watersupply etc

salting is not really biological, since it is anorganic

Sorry I was referring to overfarming as a means of soil depletion.

Sorry I was referring to overfarming as a means of soil depletion.

so conquering the enemys fields, holding these for several years to deplete the fields nutrition, very effective warfare i must say

so conquering the enemys fields, holding these for several years to deplete the fields nutrition, very effective warfare i must say

Would still prefer salting :P It's way way way too abusable though :/

Would still prefer salting :P It's way way way too abusable though :/

if you make salt white gold again,as it was till the late 18th century in europe it isnt,

make it that meat becomes rotten in a day in the desert cooked or raw

a daily intake amount to keep you healthy

farm animals need salt too

incorporate salt in many food recipes

make the spawn semi rare, problem solved

btw, you need 1kg per sqm, IF the soil is not dry, and it is not a beach or marshland or moor

If violence didn't solve your problem, then you failed to resort to enough of it.

LOLOLOLOL.

"Violence is never the answer. It's the question, and the answer is 'yes'."

Gismo, do you realize that spoilage mechanics have been confirmed and discussed to great length?