Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Simmstein

Scorched ground

312 posts in this topic

Gismo, do you realize that spoilage mechanics have been confirmed and discussed to great length?

but how. How does food spoil while it's in a stack? What if a pork chop is about to spoil and you put a fresh one on top? Do they both spoil? Do you extend the life of the old pork chop? ?????

(yeah, I know we said we'd LIEK to implement it, but we can't figure out how yet)

but how. How does food spoil while it's in a stack? What if a pork chop is about to spoil and you put a fresh one on top? Do they both spoil? Do you extend the life of the old pork chop? ?????

(yeah, I know we said we'd LIEK to implement it, but we can't figure out how yet)

The answer is both simple and horribly evil - add damage bars to food items, and prevent them from stacking. Damage values decrease on a hidden internal timer unique to each type of food (raw chicken would rot far quicker than bread, for example). Cooking, smoking, or otherwise preserving foods yields a new item with a severely slower timer and/or higher damage value, which depending on the food could either start at maximum again or start with a percentage of durability missing equal to the item it was created from.

And since I can already hear the torches being lit and pitchforks raised, this would also come with several new in-world storage blocks unique to certain food groups, such as larders, grain silos, pantries, and so on. These would have relatively massive inventories which, like vanilla chests, can be expanded by placing multiple adjacent blocks. Silos only connect upward, pantries are build in-world like a bloomery, larder algorithms recognize all adjacently connected larder blocks out to 3 from the start, etc

But that doesn't solve how you get your food there to begin with, when meat no longer stacks and your freshly killed cow just dropped you 22 beef items - well, enter butchery.

The meat storage areas would have to be relatively close to your pens, so that when the butchery UI is implemented you can just quickly take some meat, store it, take some meat, store it, etc... and be decently quick about it. Else you could also separate a cow from the herd via meta (as in you, the player) wrangling skills (perhaps rope, crafted in the inventory by itself, could yield a lasso that could function on land mobs the way the fishing rods currently do?) to separate a cow/pig/chicken from the herd/flock, and bring it to your pre-prepared butchering area. A UI makes the entire process far more simple than it would be without, which I imagine will come as a welcome relief.

Also, idk how you're going to DEAL with the butchery thing, but I'm imagining killing a mob will end up spawning a 'dead mob' block that can be right-clicked. If that's the case, perhaps carnivore AI should be adjusted with a hunger bar like the player's, only obviously invisible. At >60% hunger, carnivores will only aggro if approached, including other mobs - at 60-26% hunger, carnivore mobs will actively seek out passive mobs, kill one, and then stay next to the block and slowly deplete the raw meat from its UI, filling up its hunger bar correspondingly until it's full - if hunger is still under 60% after the mob has no meat left, the carnivore will then attack another mob. Carnivores with >=25% hunger will also actively seek out and attack other carnivores and the player. This way, early Homo Stevians will probably derive his first sustenance from half-rotted remains of other carnivore's kills.

Since I can easily see 2 or 3 bears taking out an entire - rather important - herd of passives, perhaps passive mob herd size should also be increased slightly, and their AI set to include staying away from carnivores if possible. They shouldn't ALWAYS be able to get away or else the carnivores all die instead, but you get my point.

The possibilities are fairly extreme

[Edit:] Jesus srg, you didn't have to like this 42 times...

so salting, smoking,drying and cooling may be implemented ?

The answer is both simple and horribly evil - add damage bars to food items, and prevent them from stacking. Damage values decrease on a hidden internal timer unique to each type of food (raw chicken would rot far quicker than bread, for example). Cooking, smoking, or otherwise preserving foods yields a new item with a severely slower timer and/or higher damage value, which depending on the food could either start at maximum again or start with a percentage of durability missing equal to the item it was created from.

And since I can already hear the torches being lit and pitchforks raised, this would also come with several new in-world storage blocks unique to certain food groups, such as larders, grain silos, pantries, and so on. These would have relatively massive inventories which, like vanilla chests, can be expanded by placing multiple adjacent blocks. Silos only connect upward, pantries are build in-world like a bloomery, larder algorithms recognize all adjacently connected larder blocks out to 3 from the start, etc

But that doesn't solve how you get your food there to begin with, when meat no longer stacks and your freshly killed cow just dropped you 22 beef items - well, enter butchery.

The meat storage areas would have to be relatively close to your pens, so that when the butchery UI is implemented you can just quickly take some meat, store it, take some meat, store it, etc... and be decently quick about it. Else you could also separate a cow from the herd via meta (as in you, the player) wrangling skills (perhaps rope, crafted in the inventory by itself, could yield a lasso that could function on land mobs the way the fishing rods currently do?) to separate a cow/pig/chicken from the herd/flock, and bring it to your pre-prepared butchering area. A UI makes the entire process far more simple than it would be without, which I imagine will come as a welcome relief.

Also, idk how you're going to DEAL with the butchery thing, but I'm imagining killing a mob will end up spawning a 'dead mob' block that can be right-clicked. If that's the case, perhaps carnivore AI should be adjusted with a hunger bar like the player's, only obviously invisible. At >60% hunger, carnivores will only aggro if approached, including other mobs - at 60-26% hunger, carnivore mobs will actively seek out passive mobs, kill one, and then stay next to the block and slowly deplete the raw meat from its UI, filling up its hunger bar correspondingly until it's full - if hunger is still under 60% after the mob has no meat left, the carnivore will then attack another mob. Carnivores with >=25% hunger will also actively seek out and attack other carnivores and the player. This way, early Homo Stevians will probably derive his first sustenance from half-rotted remains of other carnivore's kills.

Since I can easily see 2 or 3 bears taking out an entire - rather important - herd of passives, perhaps passive mob herd size should also be increased slightly, and their AI set to include staying away from carnivores if possible. They shouldn't ALWAYS be able to get away or else the carnivores all die instead, but you get my point.

The possibilities are fairly extreme

In one hand... *spam clicks the like button*

On the other hand, i think i said something like that in my own nature's might thread : that one that everyone was like "yeah, it would be cool", and then let dieing...

Eternal why not necro the old threads instead of rehashing. ~trollface~

Well... could the spoil Stack system be like the cooling stacking system for metals, so only items of equal spoilage would stack? That's my take on how to do it anyways... I like your thought out approach Eternal, always nice to see intelligent Posts :)

Well... could the spoil Stack system be like the cooling stacking system for metals, so only items of equal spoilage would stack? That's my take on how to do it anyways... I like your thought out approach Eternal, always nice to see intelligent Posts :)

That would work. Or what if food adopted the spoiledest ranking when stacked (like fishing rods used to)

Eternal why not necro the old threads instead of rehashing. ~trollface~

10-month-old thread:

New post; -intelligent and well-thought-out idea-

Revival.

New post; "Hey gaiz I like dis idear PLUZ ONE!!" -commence derail-

Necro

Difference.

i think the food system should get its own thread, you know

i think the food system should get its own thread, you know

There already is.... search spoil in the search bar.

thx

but why is the discussion here

Oh, is just one of those rare derailments that actually create good ideas, although that ideas are part of the derailment becuase they have nothing to do with the thread. You know, those that happen in one thread in a million?

oh that's where you're wrong...

and yeah lets make this its own thread k?

now if you wanna continue scorched ground, talk if not, let this die

oh that's where you're wrong...

and yeah lets make this its own thread k?

now if you wanna continue scorched ground, talk if not, let this die

lol k

Tho I think there's another thread I may wanna look for first to repost in that

lol k

Tho I think there's another thread I may wanna look for first to repost in that

kbai -zips over to other thread-

wheeee!!!

What's with everyone saying this would be so difficult to code? How hard is it to code one block burning away and an other block taking its place after whatever arbitrary amount of time it takes to burn. It seems like everything today comes with the necessary "if it's even possible" line, it's underestimating the power of code.

What's with everyone saying this would be so difficult to code? How hard is it to code one block burning away and an other block taking its place after whatever arbitrary amount of time it takes to burn. It seems like everything today comes with the necessary "if it's even possible" line, it's underestimating the power of code.

well that's just silly, this sort of block replacement occurs all the time in other mods - and its not even a 'well they spent >9k hours coding this just for their mod', block replacement on event is pretty much SOP for a good number of mods nowadays. It's so ubiquitous it CAN'T be that hard to code

I agree, it seems pretty easy to me ?

So playing off the title of the thread, Some scorched earth tactics would be awesome, like what was already discussed, salting the earth would be cool, as well as fire destroying the landscape beyond just trees.

Also, i think it would be awesome if we are on the subject of blocks being replaced after burning. What about half-burned/scorched blocks. Such as burnt trees in the wake of a forest fire, or piles of "ash" (in block form, because this is, you know, minecraft), and maybe even scorched plank blocks, even scorched or "blackened" stone blocks that have been near fire, although still not being flammable, or make them flammable (soot could be removed with a chisel?), just don't have them disappear when they are done burning. This would have awesome shock value when a faction gets on to find that they have been sacked, and all that remains is burnt or turned to ash. At first this sounds like encouraging griefing, but actually it doesn't amplify it at all, it only changes how griefing looks.

On a completely unrelated note, flaming arrows anyone?

On a completely unrelated note, flaming arrows anyone?

NOPE NOPE NOPE, actually we had a discussion on this already, and came to the conclusion, that the potential for griefing was far too great, maybe as an addon (done by community) but not in the base game.

ok, just a random thought that popped into my head as i was writing my post. i don't have too much invested in the idea, actually i sort of expected a similar answer tbh :P. just thought id throw it out there just in case.

also, just a question, what do we have to start fires? because as far as i know flint and steel takes vanilla iron, so its kinda out (i really don't like using zombie iron, it seems like cheating to me, I've been operating on the assumption it is going to go away eventually anyways.)

ok, just a random thought that popped into my head as i was writing my post. i don't have too much invested in the idea, actually i sort of expected a similar answer tbh :P. just thought id throw it out there just in case.

also, just a question, what do we have to start fires? because as far as i know flint and steel takes vanilla iron, so its kinda out (i really don't like using zombie iron, it seems like cheating to me, I've been operating on the assumption it is going to go away eventually anyways.)

Well, you can place flammable blocks over lava, and them will eventually start to burn.

Or you can place a log pile directly over a firepit, and it will -again- eventually start to burn.

i didn't know firepits could actually start fires, you learn something every day, thanks.

i didn't know firepits could actually start fires, you learn something every day, thanks.

I don't think they do. What i think happens -i repeat, i think, i haven't actually checked the code- is that the firepit, when a log pile is placed over it, supposes it is because it is in the middle of a charcoal pit, and so starts the process. Then, because the log pile is uncovered, it generates fire tile blocks over it.

I agree, it seems pretty easy to me ?

The cool thing about it is that this would even make it easier to do the nutrients thing- when farmland is made from a "scorched earth" block, the starting nutrient value could be higher than creating farmland from ordinary dirt.