Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Treyflix

Where to settle?

9 posts in this topic

So I have reached the steel age and I have full steel tools. I also have crap loads of everything except nickel, of which I have none. Recently my mines have gotten extremely messy, and my little house is basically coated with chests... I have the strong urge to move to a new area, build a cool base and start a neater mine. Here is the thing, I have been wandering around for a while and nothing has struck me as paticularly appealing. I found a mountains biome but it's not ULTRA epic, and my low render distance prevents me from appreciating it to the fullest...

I'm not opposed or for anything at the moment, what areas do you like to settle in?

P.S: I have shit tons of Dacite, Gabbro, Schist, and Chert bricks. What should I build? I'm just really bad at making decisions.

I know this is a rather personal choice topic, but really any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

i like to live in mountain valleys and forested coast lines.

perhaps you should build a compound wall around your new base with all your stone.

i like to live in mountain valleys and forested coast lines.

perhaps you should build a compound wall around your new base with all your stone.

Ohhh, that's a good idea! All I could think of was a castle, but it seemed a little cliche. A fort sort of thing. Then I could make the actual buildings out of wood... What kind of rooms would I need? All I can think of is storage room, forge, and bedroom...

Right now on my server we are building on a small chain of islands not far off the coast in an ocean. Plan is to build a kind of venice type of city of sorts, on a kinda smaller scale cause venice is huge. However the logistics of getting your materials there might be challenging.

Right now on my server we are building on a small chain of islands not far off the coast in an ocean. Plan is to build a kind of venice type of city of sorts, on a kinda smaller scale cause venice is huge. However the logistics of getting your materials there might be challenging.

go out into the sea and set up a derrick for mining

build a hollow x shaped pylon to support the derrick and use the pylon as the start of a mine shaft.

that way you don t use up any area on your island for quarrying your materials

I found a huge mountain range and built something similar to a dwarven fortress. I found the mounatins when starting the game and started a small camp before i had a pickaxe, and when i forged one, i dug a hole and begun building.

sound cool, what server?

I'm not opposed or for anything at the moment, what areas do you like to settle in?

P.S: I have shit tons of Dacite, Gabbro, Schist, and Chert bricks. What should I build? I'm just really bad at making decisions.

I know this is a rather personal choice topic, but really any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Dude, you have some of the best blocks ever. I love gabbro walls as a perimeter. Schist is important for developing basements and chert mimics the look of copper so I use it for floors and accent everything with that shit. Build roads out of dacite cobble and try and find a little conglomerate. The 'gold' block also makes for good accents.

As for settlement, my ideal place to build is on a flat plains with a small nearby water source. The plains would be surrounded by 6-8 other biomes. Yes I have had it happen before. Some biomes were very skinny, maybe 50 blocks wide so walking to the next one is literally a cake walk.

The reasoning is this,

-Have a forest nearby but not too close. Well out of range of arrows at least so you can see those shit creepers coming and skeletons hiding under leaves.

- If you need a different type of stone or metal, a short walk in ANY direction will suffice. This is the reason I hate mountains. You can only approach from one or two sides. The rest you have to climb over or walk all the way around. When the sun is setting and you have a mountain in between you and home, Instant regret of building in a damned valley.

Yes, my ideal choice does not have an awesome view. I often build something with a view that is 'pretty but not functional' for that. Screw walking up flights of stairs to get to the forge/storage/other useful places.

The other place I seek out and choose to live in is the desert. Bonus points if I can put my storage and forge 'working areas' in the desert and farms and trees on the plains.

-Terraforming when you're at tier 0-1 is easy.

-Easier to live underground in a hostile server

-No LOUD RAIN!

Dude, you have some of the best blocks ever. I love gabbro walls as a perimeter. Schist is important for developing basements and chert mimics the look of copper so I use it for floors and accent everything with that shit. Build roads out of dacite cobble and try and find a little conglomerate. The 'gold' block also makes for good accents.

As for settlement, my ideal place to build is on a flat plains with a small nearby water source. The plains would be surrounded by 6-8 other biomes. Yes I have had it happen before. Some biomes were very skinny, maybe 50 blocks wide so walking to the next one is literally a cake walk.

The reasoning is this,

-Have a forest nearby but not too close. Well out of range of arrows at least so you can see those shit creepers coming and skeletons hiding under leaves.

- If you need a different type of stone or metal, a short walk in ANY direction will suffice. This is the reason I hate mountains. You can only approach from one or two sides. The rest you have to climb over or walk all the way around. When the sun is setting and you have a mountain in between you and home, Instant regret of building in a damned valley.

Yes, my ideal choice does not have an awesome view. I often build something with a view that is 'pretty but not functional' for that. Screw walking up flights of stairs to get to the forge/storage/other useful places.

The other place I seek out and choose to live in is the desert. Bonus points if I can put my storage and forge 'working areas' in the desert and farms and trees on the plains.

-Terraforming when you're at tier 0-1 is easy.

-Easier to live underground in a hostile server

-No LOUD RAIN!

Well, I decided where to settle eventually. I'm making a wall all the way around the huge mountain Platue. Its going to end up being a castle! Im budding with the land so I think it will be pretty cool. It's hard to explain, I post pictures of it once I get farther. There is a area where it gently slopes down into the ocean where I will have my gate. The ocean gives me quick and easy access to a bunch of biomes, including the most important to me, plains1. The reason why it's important is it's third rock layer is Gabbro, which I need crud tons of to build my castle, and more importantly need to find nickel to move into black and red steel. It also provides schist in the first layer and chert in the second, which I will be using as the roofs/walkways/other accents. Gabbro and chert lOok fantastic together. I also have quick acces to a granite desert and limestone ocean. The mountain itself is mudstone on layer one, but whatevs. I'm really excited about this! On the process of moving all my stuff and setting up a Gabbro quarry and (hopefully) nickel mine. Thanks for the advice!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0