Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xetian

Seeds from non-grains?

9 posts in this topic

So I've been playing on DHB, and Slink made us a client patch so we can tell when crops have grown. Oddly, I can't seem to craft my carrots into more seeds, I thought we could use crops to recycle into seeds for larger subsequent harvest?

Beta v2 Build 48 Codename: Still for 1.2.5

New Features

• The first phase of agriculture has been added including 19 new crops with several more to come in future patches. This is to be considered a working prototype. With the exception of the Cereals it is only possible to get new seeds by busting tall grass and finding them. There will eventually be wild varieties of many plants that can be found as well as proper ways to make sure that your crops are self sustaining. Food/Agri is not balanced and will undoubtedly go through several iterations!

Could you share the patch? I haven't noticed any changes in my plants at all.

The first thing I did after creating the world was to start a garden. Earlier today, I finished my copper anvil, but I still see no growth on my crops. I looked into the TFC resources, and looked at the crops file, and noticed that the last stage is not the fruit stage, for most of them. It looked like it should be obvious for most crops when they are ready for harvest, but I must be doing something wrong, since nothing has grown.

I'm playing 48f on SSP, and have not changed any thing in the cfg file.

Crops are pretty slow even with the mod (which just corrects a display issue), you should notice the first bits of growth after about 10-12 hours real time for most crops. The crops should finish growing in 36-48 hours real time.

Additionally, I do post all the stuff I do to the F.M.P. thread, even if it's not directly related to server mods, to let people who aren't interested in DigHissBoom keep up with that stuff. So I'd just keep an eye on that thread in case I come out with something you might be interested in.

36-46 hours? Ok, so crops may be useful if you play on a busy server, since the crops may grow while you are offline.

But, for SSP, you will have made almost every type of metal in the game before your first crops reach maturity! Realistic crops suck!

~~~

While we are on the subject of crops, I can see that Bioxx deviated from the Dwarf Fortress design here. In Dwarf fortress, you can build most of the crops without sunlight / rain. You just build a dirt floor underground, flood it with water, let it drain, and then plant plump helmets (mushrooms) everywhere.

From what I can tell, all of the TFC crops require rain. So, building underground is not a possibility :(

While we are on the subject of crops, I can see that Bioxx deviated from the Dwarf Fortress design here. In Dwarf fortress, you can build most of the crops without sunlight / rain. You just build a dirt floor underground, flood it with water, let it drain, and then plant plump helmets (mushrooms) everywhere.

From what I can tell, all of the TFC crops require rain. So, building underground is not a possibility :(

Awww... No more cave wheat....

Someone did some testing that showed that crops have DistantFarm-type functionality where they'll grow while their chunk is unloaded. So your server doesn't have to be especially busy, really.

EDIT: And incidentally, the crops don't require rain, you can drop them in some soil within 4 squares of a little 1x1x1 pit filled with a bucket and they have all the water they need. They do need direct sunlight, however.

They do need direct sunlight, however.

Well, that means I can still have an underground farm, I just can't hide it very well, since it will need glass at the surface. And making that much glass will take a lot of forge time.

I've been fighting off the urge to look into the class files to see how it all works, because it feels like cheating. But changing the day/night cycle feels like cheating also, and if I play my SSP world 2 hours each night, it's going to take me 2-3 weeks to find out how my first set of crops turn out. I was hoping to run several rotations of crops through the same dirt to see how the minerals affect growth, but it just doesn't seem practical.

I agree that farming (from the vanilla game) needed to be ditched for a harder system. But, in my opinion, it should have been harder in that more labor would need to be required, and more space, instead of just increasing the waiting time. Extending the cycle a little (tiny) bit would be ok, but really is the opposite of what you want if minerals in the soil are depleted. Shorting the cycle would force players to consider whether they want to continue with the same soil, or start a new farm further away, which is actually an interesting decision.

I think that the recipes for food should have just been made more difficult, instead of lengthening the growing cycle. All food items should have recipes similar to the vanilla cake recipe (or even more difficult). So, a giant farm with different sections for different crops isn't just an interesting way to play, but it would be a necessity to keep the player from going hungry. This could still be Bioxx's plan (he said that the balancing is certainly not final), and the types of crops in version 48 would work well for such a system.

I'm guessing that a grain processing mill will be added to the game. It definitely fits with agrarian theme, and will add some much-needed manual steps to the farming process. Ideally we would get a threshing floor also, or at least a threshing step to remove chaff from the wheat.