Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kazim57

Huge Mountains

75 posts in this topic

Some month’s ago there was a mod that allowed almost infinite y direction. This meant that you could build at height 255++.

By having that in mind can we have really Huge Mountains? I mean 2-3k high mountains?

That would be great.

Thank you.

(Sorry if this has been discussed again)

"Almost infinite" is an interesting concept.

I'd very much like huge mountains, but then, they should behave like they were very deep ore-wise. Why should I bother making a difficult to sustain mountain temple if ores are best found deep underground?

In that context, I'd even suggest realistic measures, as in "a mountain can even go up 10k".

One quick search later, and I believe this is the mod you were talking about: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/310298-100robintons-mods/

It's apparently pretty buggy, I suspect will break a lot of mod compatability, and was long since abandoned, but it appears to allow up to 4096 height from 256. Seems reasonable enough for mountains. That said, I agree with Heiko. Adding it for the sake of adding it seems like a waste of resources. If you can't get ores up there, it's not flat enough to grow trees, plant crops, etc, whats the point?

Removing some layers of rock from the bottom to add more height is one solution, but the difference in heights would be minimal and you remove a lot of possible ore spawning locations so it's not an ideal solution either. If the previous idea of "Cubic Chunks" were possible and could be implemented into TFCraft, that would certainly be great. If not, I can't see this idea being implementable.

In case I wasn't clear, I do like the idea of mountains being mountains. The "hills" biomes seem to be decent at representing mountains (far more so than hills for sure), but they do seem to do that by just making them difficult to transverse more so than anything. Would also be good if draw distance could be improved alongside it. Otherwise, when you're at y=500, you look like you're just floating on an island which really ruins the effect.

i think this would come very handy with this =)

"real" mountains would be awesome, since the "secret" valleys (like the one from the "spotter´s guide) have become really really rare

(i may be using the wrong seed)

nice mountains with a increased height would look sweet, especially with a tower or castle on top

Yes, the mod was called Cubic Chunks, and it is where Jeb got some ideas for the current chunk and world save system that is used, he basically halfass implemented minichunks 16x16x16 instead of the old 16x16x128. These minichunks are then in stacks with a world height of 256 now instead of 128. However its still not really implemented ideally. Also as mentioned above cubic chunks was quite buggy, possibly due to limitations in the render engine, as apparent by all the lighting bugs and ghost chunk bugs.

Another note is, for these real mountains many thousands of meters high you would need a total overhaul of the render engine to even appreciate them, as you can see at max with optifine and a very high end computer like 256 or 512 blocks or something like that, so appreciating a 2000 block high mountain isn't even possible currently.

even a 100 block mountain would be awesome

i would love the addition of higher and wider mountains though ore gen would need to be over hauled again so that larger ore bodies could spawn within the mountain range.

Unless, of course, settling down on a mountain is just considered "Challenge Mode". Honestly, though, I'd prefer environments where one profession is easier and the others harder (as in: mining works great in mountains, but forestry and getting food doesn't)

if there a servers with enough capacity for many players, a strategic position as a mountain will be highly contested

uhm...how tall ARE the tallest mountains?!

I've been on a pretty tall one on my last map...there really wasn't much to it though...just a big stone with a few trees on top..

i will try to see how big it was...but what's the biggest YOU came across

Id prefer if mountains became bigger, at the cost of the standard lvl height of terrafirmacraft. Most ores are found in mountains, and for those of us who wants to build huge ass mountain fortresses, that's really the way to go. Something like the extreme hills biomes of standard minecraft, but bigger.

and nicer, not only quarter of a circle like hill

and nicer, not only quarter of a circle like hill

Id like to see something like mount fuji in japan

Id like to see something like mount fuji in japan

isnt that a vulcano ?

+1 for vulcanos

isnt that a vulcano ?

+1 for vulcanos

More in the sense of a giant solo mountain

It IS a volcano ;)

but anyways:

yep 60 would have been my guess..i haven't looked it up yet because i was aborbed in chiseling awesome bridges..

but now i will do

EDIT: so my mountain range is a bit higher than 60...but..not very much

I've got mtns reaching the sky limit? Did I screw something up?

There's a mountain range close to the spawn if you use "i", sans quotes, as a seed. I think it reached up to ~240, and IIRC water level is around 141.

As for adding higher mountains, I think changing world generation so that existing mountains will be steeper will be sufficient. I THINK there's a good example of a steep and less steep mountain close to each other in the above seed, but I'd have to check and it's late here.

nah, if we could get taller mountains we would. The problem is chunks. If we could have cubic chunks (more of a legendary phrase, sought after by many ;)) this would be possible. Since anvil came out though (Mojang's new world gen system) this has been made much more difficult. For those who don't know, chunks stretch from the bottom to the top of the map. In vanilla, this is 128 blocks plus any extras you build. In TFC, it's 256, which causes a bit more lag. Cubic Chunks are arrayed vertically as well as horizontally, allowing for nearly infinitely tall maps with no loss of FPS or lag, the same way minecraft can have nearly infinite chunks in x/z. True mountains are defined as being 1000 m or more, so a mountain that stretched from bedrock to the sky limit wouldn't even be 1/4. (because bedrock takes up the bottom 5 or so blocks). We've had to reduce other scales too. If we made trees like the sequoia as tall as they be in real life, they would be taller than TFC mountains.

In that case could you make an area for us that has lots of "mountains, Gandalf, mountains" so that if we want an above sea level Dwarf Fortress we could have a suitable range to work with. Right now they're kinda either really hard to find or too rare. I'd really like a mountain that reaches 248 and can fit multiple tunnel networks. Thanks in advance. :D

P.S. Actually, hold that thought. Yeah, nevermind I'm gonna wait till after I see the new biome coding you guys are working on. It might make finding larger mountain ranges easier to find. I would still like to see them reach 248 though. You guys do a great job. Thanks!

you could get more layers if you reduce the bedrock to 1, or make an invisible wall so you dont even need bedrock

is it just me or arent mountains in TFC already pretty massive?

well at least they're better than the vanilla hills

bigger? hell yeah

high enough? hell no