Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kazim57

Huge Mountains

75 posts in this topic

Posted Image

Maybe its less the vertical scale, and more the horizontal scale.

Awesome image

Wow, really cool (+1). But still too low. However, where did you find that world or picture?

http://imgur.com/9L9Rb

see also

http://minecraftgallery.com/snowy-minecraft-mountain/

Overall you arnt going to reliably get past the engine limitations in the near future.

I'd recommend changing the weird floating overhang mountain code for much wider conical bare-stone mountain code if you wanted to develop a perception of height without bouncing your heads off the buildceiling. Personaly I find the limited x/y size of mountain biomes, and the odd lumpy hill generation, to be more disapointing than not being able to see down on clouds.

http://imgur.com/9L9Rb

see also

http://minecraftgall...craft-mountain/

Overall you arnt going to reliably get past the engine limitations in the near future.

I'd recommend changing the weird floating overhang mountain code for much wider conical bare-stone mountain code if you wanted to develop a perception of height without bouncing your heads off the buildceiling. Personaly I find the limited x/y size of mountain biomes, and the odd lumpy hill generation, to be more disapointing than not being able to see down on clouds.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Maybe its less the vertical scale, and more the horizontal scale.

If we could get snow capped, rock mountains in TFC like this, I could die happy.

If we could get snow capped, rock mountains in TFC like this, I could die happy.

No, if that happens you can't die. You must play it a lot and break your computer because you played it a lot. You can't die, not when this happens.

Think tank: Game of thrones server? Is that where its from?

Not a clue, found it searching images. You can probably trace it back to source with Tineye if you need to.

No, if that happens you can't die. You must play it a lot and break your computer because you played it a lot. You can't die, not when this happens.

Yes, you're right, I could only die happy after playing TFC for too long with no breaks, because I'm that hardcore.

We don't need 5000-meter high mountains in TFC, but an occasional super high spot would be cool.

Fun fact: Mount Everest is 8848m tall.

We don't need 5000-meter high mountains in TFC

that, my good sir, is where you are wrong

Bigger is better, the higher we can bring them the better as long as we have enough features on them to continuously make them interesting. If we could make enormous super-mountains, by all means please do.

We don't need 5000-meter high mountains in TFC.

I disagree, strongly, so strongly I think you may need to have you're head examined.

i am still liking the ide of making mountains "WIDER" instead of taller (thoug hit would be nce to add an extra 100 - 200 blocks

all i want are large mountains that i can set up my mine site and town on like this

than i would be happy with mountains

ps please fix snow so it falls on mountain tops again :(

red rose tungstan mine hazelton bc

Posted Image

Rather than increasing mountain heights, if they add a new biome called "ridge mountain" that is always edged by a new biome called " valley basin" you'd get the illusion of taller mountains without having to really add them.

We don't need 5000-meter high mountains in TFC, but an occasional super high spot would be cool.

Fun fact: Mount Everest is 8848m tall.

Everest is not 8848m tall, it is 8848m above sea level, there is a big difference there:

"The highest mountains above sea level are generally not the highest above the surrounding terrain. There is no precise definition of surrounding base, but Mount McKinley, Mount Kilimanjaro and Nanga Parbat are possible candidates for the tallest mountain on land by this measure. The bases of mountain islands are below sea level, and given this consideration Mauna Kea (4,207 m (13,802 ft) above sea level) is the world's tallest mountain and volcano, rising about 10,203 m (33,474 ft) from the Pacific Ocean floor. Ojos del Salado has the greatest rise on Earth— 13,420 m (44,029 ft) from the summit[citation needed] to the bottom of the Atacama Trench about 560 km (350 mi) away, though most of this rise is not part of the mountain." Wiki

As far as i know all the mods that supported increasing the height stopped at minecraft 1.2 because of the new format. If you would be able to make it work again you would be my hero though. But i dont know if its possible.

Another note is, for these real mountains many thousands of meters high you would need a total overhaul of the render engine to even appreciate them, as you can see at max with optifine and a very high end computer like 256 or 512 blocks or something like that, so appreciating a 2000 block high mountain isn't even possible currently.

Not necessarily i don't ever know if you ever been to mountainous/high altidtude regions. If you are at a peak of 3 km its usualy not a standalone cliff that high. Nor a steady slope all the way. In fact it would usualy be hours to low lying areas. As the mod seems to have more realistic terrain as a focus i would find it natural that they made the mountains as real mountains. Not a just random supertall weird cliffs(like the other height mods make). And not the typical thing cartoony mountain. A large triangular peak or two with snow on the top. Which is very uncommon.

Rather than increasing mountain heights, if they add a new biome called "ridge mountain" that is always edged by a new biome called " valley basin" you'd get the illusion of taller mountains without having to really add them.

Simplest fix is the best, and getting a new piece of terrain generation code to simulate mountains, rather than an engine rebuild to truely create mountains, is more likly to actualy happen. If some other modder digging into the code can produce stable buildceilings higher than what we have then Im sure huge mountains can be discussed again.

For now I'd live with the above idea, with conical mountain shapes no problems.

Simplest fix is the best, and getting a new piece of terrain generation code to simulate mountains, rather than an engine rebuild to truely create mountains, is more likly to actualy happen. If some other modder digging into the code can produce stable buildceilings higher than what we have then Im sure huge mountains can be discussed again.

For now I'd live with the above idea, with conical mountain shapes no problems.

Sure it is, the simplest fix has already been developped, also Two is a big inffluence. You should check High Hills biome. Conical mountains are not to be taken too serious IMO, its too simplistic for this mod, and most mods, Bioxx has done a better job than that.

About 1.2, yeah it pretty much bugged every attempt to do cubic chunks, the anvil world works great for vanilla but limits much of the codding. Let's see... The problem is to it still remain minecraft you know...

Generaly I just mean this, just this picture, do want.

That is pretty awesome, but... would as it is now the peek of that 'mountain' would be about the same height as the top of a sequoia.

If anyone could do the formulation of a conic function for this... I know there is...

You must live in minecraft to make those photos every 2 seconds. So realistic...

Aint anything I'v made. These are probably voxelbox worlds by the looks of them, its hard to terraform this extensivly without their modpack,

You must live in minecraft to make those photos every 2 seconds. So realistic...

There is a world editor that is pretty amazing, you like paint on a canvas the topography and it makes worlds like that.

These are all great, but formulations like that are pretty hard to be made 'randomly'... A mathematician wonder could do that