Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bluehornet2297

Natural disasters

58 posts in this topic

One suggestion that could make TFCraft alot more realistic is natural disasters/extreme weather events. The disasters should include things like earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, floods/tsunamis, lightning storms, blizzards, etc. Each event would do different things, an earthquake might make a giant ravine, and cause massive cave-ins; Huricanes might generate finite water all over the place, and the hurricane would last quite allot longer then vinilla weather events. Blizzards would add several layers of snow to the ground, as well as making it very difficult to see past ~15 blocks. Tornados could tear apart the landscape, and throw blocks all over the place. And tsunamis/floods could add several layers of finite/infinite water to the ocean level. Such events as these could provide quite a challange to players, but they would have to be very rare and toggleable. The events could have a very low chance of happening 3-4 times a month; about once a week. The events would only have to be a local occurance, so the players could salvage what they can from the mess, and move to another area. I think I speak for many, if not all of us when I say that this feature could, and would be a game changer, making survival mode harder, yet more realistic.

Be careful throwing the 'R' word around in these parts.

On topic, it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't like it to be so... dramatic.

did you really mean saturday?

Yep : and in fact i wasn't lying. Stupid disease... -.-

Yep : and in fact i wasn't lying. Stupid disease... -.-

ah I see. Btw, i think "this" saturday usually refers to the coming saturday. I think what you could have said was "I've been coughing since saturday" or "I've had a cough since saturday"

or, closer to what you said "I've been coughing since saturday, and I can't stop"

Ok, i'm gonna correct it. Thank you very much :3

Be careful throwing the 'R' word around in these parts.

On topic, it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't like it to be so... dramatic.

Well the idea is that a very very rare occurence that is weather based is suposed to force the player to move to a different location. I would like it to be as dramatic as it needs to be in order to get the player to move, but i would also like it to be something that players can "clean up" in order to preserve thier original home. In other words, after the events, players should have to decide either to move, or fix the damage that is done. Fixing the damage would be quite a challange, as it should be.

EDIT: it should be as dramatic as it would be in real life for a stone age cave man

*cough* http://www.minecraft...13-1sspsmp13-1/ *cough* it even has the same name : *cough* Oh, excuse me, i have been coughing since saturday...

This looks like something similar to what i was picturing. Thanks for the suggestion, mabye if bioxx does include natural disasters he can use that mod as a reference.

Mabye the more devestating events should be rare-er then the others. ie. the tornado would be rare-er then the hurricane.

I'm going to have to disagree with this idea... My reason is simple: this isn't fun.

Having to work for hours on your house to have a random tornado take it out? Not fun.

Waiting months for your crops to grow just to have them wiped out by a hurricane/flood/tsunami? Not fun.

The idea that TFCraft is going for pure realism is a misnomer (See Here for one quickly found reference on such). While I haven't seen, or at least can't remember for the life of me, an official statement on design, I've come to the conclusion that the devs wish to make survival more challenging and fleshed out. Sometimes, this results in elements of gameplay that resemble realism. The point I'm trying to make is I want a game to be fun, not realistic. For some games like simulators, being realistic is the fun. Even in those games, some realism is removed to make the game more enjoyable (there's no pre-race driver meetings in any racing game I've played for instance). Disasters for me falls into the category of being added for realism sake alone. This is especially true if the events are purely random and can't be anticipated or defended against. it would basically be programmed griefing by mother nature.

Blizzards are one thing I could get behind. Reduction in visibility and increase snowfall would be an interesting concept, though I don't know what it would add to make it work the while. Perhaps it would make sense when combined with the talks of the new world generation system as it would make living at the artic circle/pole a unpleasant as it should be.

I'm going to have to disagree with this idea... My reason is simple: this isn't fun.

Having to work for hours on your house to have a random tornado take it out? Not fun.

Waiting months for your crops to grow just to have them wiped out by a hurricane/flood/tsunami? Not fun.

The idea that TFCraft is going for pure realism is a misnomer (See Here for one quickly found reference on such). While I haven't seen, or at least can't remember for the life of me, an official statement on design, I've come to the conclusion that the devs wish to make survival more challenging and fleshed out. Sometimes, this results in elements of gameplay that resemble realism. The point I'm trying to make is I want a game to be fun, not realistic. For some games like simulators, being realistic is the fun. Even in those games, some realism is removed to make the game more enjoyable (there's no pre-race driver meetings in any racing game I've played for instance). Disasters for me falls into the category of being added for realism sake alone. This is especially true if the events are purely random and can't be anticipated or defended against. it would basically be programmed griefing by mother nature.

Blizzards are one thing I could get behind. Reduction in visibility and increase snowfall would be an interesting concept, though I don't know what it would add to make it work the while. Perhaps it would make sense when combined with the talks of the new world generation system as it would make living at the artic circle/pole a unpleasant as it should be.

The simple answer to your problem of that being not fun is that the tornados an such would be an extremly rare event; One of the rearest events in the game. like in real life, these things would only happen once every few years, unless of course you happen to be very, VERY unlucky. These things would happen about as many times as you find mushroom biomes in vinilla.

Remember: Losing is FUN!

Remember: Losing is FUN!

This has some truth behind it. After all, what would a good game be without a challenge to make things interesting?

Ya if you are looking for an easy game I would have to say you are in the wrong forum. Personally I think these things would be extremely exciting yet the coding involved is ridiculous.

One thing is a challenge, and the other is "Hey, nice giant mansion which took you 6 real life months to build you have there, it would be a shame if a tornado went through here... Oh, look! An earthquake occurred instead. Well, that's a shame :"

EDIT: what i mean is, challenges are fun and all, but having your greatest achievements destroyed by something random isn't. It's like if the game hated you.

Isn't possible to build extreme weather-proof homes, its like dealing with mobs or greifers you have to take a couple preventive measures.

I say, don't hold back developers. Hit me with every problem you got, and when I fail, I feel accomplished to get as far as I did. When I succeed, the joy gained from the process is many times that of any easier way. When a (very rare) disaster occurs and destroys all of my progress so far, assuming I haven't died (always play on hardcore), I rebuild. It's difficult, but very rewarding, and I am willing to put up with any amount of disaster, grief, or even needless repetitiveness to have a fun, rewarding, and believable system to play in.

Also, you would have some control over the disasters. Location, support, bunkers, etc. can all affect what disasters, how often, effect you how much. And when worst comes to worst- live underground, or in a mountain. Earthquakes will still get ya, but not anything else, and you can just collect what is salvageable and dig a new hole.

-snip-

Yes!!! +1ed

Yes, of course you could take multiple preventative measures against such disasters, but as Xechon mentioned, earthquakes could still get you. I would like to see that earthquakes effect weaker stone more then the harder stones. Stones that take longer to break, for example, would be less effected by an earthquake, giving you the ability to protect your homes more by using "tougher" stone.

Those of you who are absolutly opossed to my suggestion can just turn the natural disasters off. But I stress that they would be extreamly rare, so turning them off isnt really going to change much.

Actually a earthquake proof home usually is made of far more flexible materials as anything heavy will fall over and break. As long as you aren't building a skyscraper though a couple supports should be plenty enough in a normal sized earthquake (felt one last night)

Actually a earthquake proof home usually is made of far more flexible materials as anything heavy will fall over and break. As long as you aren't building a skyscraper though a couple supports should be plenty enough in a normal sized earthquake (felt one last night)

You are quite right. Flexible supports, such as isolated bearings, are good at allowing the structure to move with the earthquake, therefore causing less damage to the structure itself. Securing any heavy items to the floor and walls also helps to keep weight more uniform while the building is moving, and in turn prevent people in said building from getting crushed by a sofa.

I can't seem to find it, but I remember hearing how some buildings in japan were supported on giant spheres (what did you think I was going to say *eyebrow raise*) so that the buildings could move freely with the ground with their frequent earthquakes. However, these are pretty advanced supports, and I don't know how they held out in the big one.

You are quite right. Flexible supports, such as isolated bearings, are good at allowing the structure to move with the earthquake, therefore causing less damage to the structure itself. Securing any heavy items to the floor and walls also helps to keep weight more uniform while the building is moving, and in turn prevent people in said building from getting crushed by a sofa.

I can't seem to find it, but I remember hearing how some buildings in japan were supported on giant spheres (what did you think I was going to say *eyebrow raise*) so that the buildings could move freely with the ground with their frequent earthquakes. However, these are pretty advanced supports, and I don't know how they held out in the big one.

but um yeah this is all pretty advanced stuff theres no way we could fit this in to the time frame of TFC

I like this topic a lot. Like bsb said, heavier houses should be more prone to collapse while flexy wooden houses actually last through quakes

but um yeah this is all pretty advanced stuff theres no way we could fit this in to the time frame of TFC

Right, I'm just giving facts for observation and elimination. However, I would like to note that you shouldn't build on sand, unless it doesn't rain or sandstorm.

I like this topic a lot. Like bsb said, heavier houses should be more prone to collapse while flexy wooden houses actually last through quakes

I would like to see 2 new stats for blocks: weight and strength. In reality, there are 3 types of object strength, compression, expansion, and shear. However, for the sake of the mod and everyone's fps, 1 value could approximate the general resistance to breakage of an object (strength), and stronger objects would hold up better to these disasters, with the exception of earthquakes, which would actually reverse this. Ex.) Stone would be stronger than wood, and hold up better to tornadoes/hurricanes/sandstorms, lightning storms, etc., but would break easier to earthquakes than wood.

For more proof of method, think of the air "block", but IRL (using game terms). Strength .0001 (meh, arbitrarily small number to account for air resistance). In storms, the air "blocks" are easily moved. However, earthquakes effect the earth a lot more than the air, because strength is reversed.

Rambling now, sorry.