Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Variation of Trunk Thickness in Differentiated Species of Flora (different trunk sizes for different trees)

85 posts in this topic

Never said that a cast iron sword/pick/whatever would be very good. Nor did I say that cast iron would be used for those things. 'Twas merely an example (I haven't yet gotten to that part of the design doc). As for higher teir molds, the benefit would be reduced crafting time of your tools. Rather than needing to hammer the metal into an ingot, then heat the ingot, and hammer it again into an item, you'd simply melt the ore into the mold, cool it off, and pop out your tool.

i wasn't just saying cast iron either, its just casting in general wont work for most tools, maybe hammers or maces could be casted, or other metal objects that arent tools like torch sconces and things like that.

Casted anything is always inferior to worked anything. (see casting instead of scribing thread circa June 2012)

one day away and i am costaring a series and the thread derailed

i wasn't just saying cast iron either, its just casting in general wont work for most tools, maybe hammers or maces could be casted, or other metal objects that arent tools like torch sconces and things like that.

It's a Realism <----> Gameplay issue, at that point.

Idealy I want to balance the two, but I also have to realize that at some level it breaks down and the two are at odds with each other.

(A bigger concern is the fact that if you're working with one metal, and pouring it into a mod, that mod has to have a higher melting temperature, so what's it made from and why aren't you making tools out of it?)

Idealy I want to balance the two, but I also have to realize that at some level it breaks down and the two are at odds with each other.

(A bigger concern is the fact that if you're working with one metal, and pouring it into a mod, that mod has to have a higher melting temperature, so what's it made from and why aren't you making tools out of it?)

Because, while refractory, ceramic is too brittle for the prolonged stress of tool use, but good point.

Because, while refractory, ceramic is too brittle for the prolonged stress of tool use, but good point.

I wasn't thinking about ceramic molds with that point, but metal ones. E.g. using iron to make a mold for softer metals. If there's a teired progression of mold-materials, what's "above" clay?

draco, we dont like to use the "R" word around here -realism-

we're more about making things believable

draco, we dont like to use the "R" word around here -realism-

we're more about making things believable

Fair point. And I don't really have an answer to that. I know what I'm trying to achieve, but there's detail work that still needs to be done.

I know where I want to end up, I haven't figured out all the steps to get there yet.

All I've got is a set of notes, I started under 24 hours ago taking up a little under 4 pages, hand written.

If a particular idea ends up being non-viable against the solution I desire, then it'll get reworked. This is likely one of them.

And again, this is a hypothetical mod. Its unlikely I'll ever have the time or dedication to complete it.

And again, this is a hypothetical mod. Its unlikely I'll ever have the time or dedication to complete it.

then why put so much time and effort into something thats never going to go anywhere?

then why put so much time and effort into something thats never going to go anywhere?

Because otherwise I don't sleep at night. :)

I have more game ideas (or in this case, a mod) than I can ever realistically work on.

My last hypothetical idea went farther than I originally planned, though I haven't touched it in a while (too busy with work, plus not having all the right skills).

So I decided to write things down and rhuminate on the idea just to get it out of my head. It's way easier to not comit to the idea and let my mind wander than to comit and force myself to bring it to completion. I'm not getting paid either way, so it's not a big deal.

I have more game ideas (or in this case, a mod) than I can ever realistically work on.

My last hypothetical idea went farther than I originally planned, though I haven't touched it in a while (too busy with work, plus not having all the right skills).

So I decided to write things down and rhuminate on the idea just to get it out of my head.

aight i getchya, kinda like the little noteboook i cary around where i write down all my ideas to make minecraft less crappy

EDIT: damn you guys post fast -_-

well right now im trying to get to an even 400 posts so yeah

aight i getchya, kinda like the little noteboook i cary around where i write down all my ideas to make minecraft less crappy

Haha, sort of. I only grabbed a notebook because it was nearby, and I was waiting for something to compile, so I started jotting some notes. Normally I whip up a little test application to see if an idea is viable.

I've never done MC modding though and really don't feel like decompiling the Java and digging through a thousand class files to do something. I'm content to wait for the Mod API and see what it offers (and still not likely to mess around much, as Java isn't a language I known well).

Haha, sort of. I only grabbed a notebook because it was nearby, and I was waiting for something to compile, so I started jotting some notes. Normally I whip up a little test application to see if an idea is viable.

I've never done MC modding though and really don't feel like decompiling the Java and digging through a thousand class files to do something. I'm content to wait for the Mod API and see what it offers (and still not likely to mess around much, as Java isn't a language I known well).

ah i so agree, if i had any knowledge of java there wouldve been a mod out like 18 years ago

ah i so agree, if i had any knowledge of java there wouldve been a mod out like 18 years ago

A minecraft mod before minecraft? ;o

A minecraft mod before minecraft? ;o

you must be new here not to understand my logic

-or lack thereof-

you must be new here not to understand my logic

-or lack thereof-

I realized you were joking, hence the winking smily.

he had a revelation, praise the lord

So I decided to write things down and rhuminate on the idea just to get it out of my head. It's way easier to not comit to the idea and let my mind wander than to comit and force myself to bring it to completion. I'm not getting paid either way, so it's not a big deal.

Wow I agree with everything you just said. Wtf? I have nothing more to say -hangs head-

Wow I agree with everything you just said. Wtf? I have nothing more to say -hangs head-

Hehe.

Alright boys, to save everyone time, please just use the like button rather than writing "haha" because we all see a notification for just one word.

I am actually somewhat for this idea, it would bring nice variation to the scenery, I can see one major setback though.

While changing the size of any tree that is straight would be no issue(it's been done with fruit trees, and it can be chiseled into stone), there would be the issue of branching trees. Merely changing the size of the trunks would then result in floating branches, if they're not full-scaled to begin with.

Of course, considering the way fruit trees are built, and how fences work, it would be perfectly feasible "I think"(not much java experience myself) to code it. This in turn could of course lead to issues if two trees of the same type are growing next to each other, and like any change of code, unexpected bugs could start appear.

All this aside, if it can be done, I'm all for it, though I have to agree that aesthetic changes that has little effect on gameplay would have to give way to more important things that the devs are working on. When the mod is no longer in beta, and things have been fleshed out to satisfaction in all or most areas that are planned, I would love to see a patch or two containing only aesthetic changes, to make the already awesome mod more beautiful as well.

Just my thoughts on the topic. =P

since trees are being chopped down in one blow anyway, maybe we should change them to entities........., immobile ones, and maybe the leaves could stay as blocks but the trunk and branches be an entity, but taht would probably take some advanced coding or they'd all look the same.

How intensive would this be clientside? When we need to load a single cube shape a million times we already get lower FPS rates than we should, what would happen if we had to load 5+ different shapes in a forest, and how would these shapes work together to form branches, ect?

since trees are being chopped down in one blow anyway, maybe we should change them to entities........., immobile ones, and maybe the leaves could stay as blocks but the trunk and branches be an entity, but taht would probably take some advanced coding or they'd all look the same.

yeah they did that with the eldrich trees in thaumcraft 1

it still looked terrible