Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bookcreeper

Gem Cutting

105 posts in this topic

I don't think you want this eye...

Lifted it off of Yog-Sothoth a while back.

I don't think you want this eye...

Lifted it off of Yog-Sothoth a while back.

wait does Yog Sothoth even have eyes?

-checks collection of all of Lovecraft's works-

Well, I call them eyes, he calls them nostrils. ;)

wait does Yog Sothoth even have eyes?

-checks collection of all of Lovecraft's works-

Yog-Sothoth is all in one who is one in all. He is the gate and the key. He is existence and the universe, and sees all things at all times.

So no, he has no actual physical eyes

If he's existence and the universe he has all the physical eyes.

If he's existence and the universe he has all the physical eyes.

He is the universe but he is outside the universe

He manifests as unmaking, and to give himself physical form is the formation of holes and portals

Some day this mod will become big. And then the forums will get a serious moderator. And then Noodles, arch, and many other train destroying perpetrators will be banned.

And I will laugh evily. (is that a word?)

Because you know I have never derailed a thread... *cough sarcasticpostjustclarifyingforthebutthurtoverreactorsonthisforumiloveyouto*cough cough*

am I not serious? :(((((((

OHMYGOD ITS ALIVE!!!!

glad to see you arent dead there Dunk

Welcome back!

Oh no... How do I end up accidentally insulting Dunk so much? I didn't mean it that way, Dunk! I thought you just did moderation on the side... You have a lot on your plate. I mean come on, suicidal deer that think they're sheep? ;)

I think that the gems should have tool/weapon/armor augmentations that can be used to vary stats. The better the quality the better the augmentation. Ex: Exqusite Diamond + Tier 0 and up = Unbreaking 10 Pick. Tin armor + Exqusite Diamond = Protection 10 Tin Armor. The table used should be called: Augmentation Table.

That's my idea for gem cutting.

P.S.

Each gem will have an enchant unique to its type.

The Augmention goes from worst to best in gem type . 1-> 2 -> 5-> 7 -> 10. I hope you read this Bioxx.

I think that the gems should have tool/weapon/armor augmentations that can be used to vary stats. The better the quality the better the augmentation. Ex: Exqusite Diamond + Tier 0 and up = Unbreaking 10 Pick. Tin armor + Exqusite Diamond = Protection 10 Tin Armor. The table used should be called: Augmentation Table.

That's my idea for gem cutting.

P.S.

Each gem will have an enchant unique to its type.

The Augmention goes from worst to best in gem type . 1-> 2 -> 5-> 7 -> 10. I hope you read this Bioxx.

I don't see how strapping a gem to a piece of armor or a weapon makes it function better, doesn't seem very believable to me.

I can see merit in the idea, but some extra process would have to inbetween--focusing magic into the gem, ensnaring demon souls, applying phlebotinum, whatever.

That should probably go in the enchantment thread, however. And it has. Lurk MOAR.

'I don't see how strapping a gem to a piece of armor or a weapon makes it function better, doesn't seem very believable to me.'

If each gem exhibits supernatural powers on its own(imagine holding one, punching a zombie, it lights on fire) then it would seem believable because the properties of the gem are transferred to the blade. if gems dont exhibit properties, then neither should anything they get embedded into.

Unless gems have a natural magic essence embued in them and cann't focus their magic unless embedded in a focusing item I.E. a sword.

'I don't see how strapping a gem to a piece of armor or a weapon makes it function better, doesn't seem very believable to me.'

If each gem exhibits supernatural powers on its own(imagine holding one, punching a zombie, it lights on fire) then it would seem believable because the properties of the gem are transferred to the blade. if gems dont exhibit properties, then neither should anything they get embedded into.

Unless gems have a natural magic essence embued in them and cann't focus their magic unless embedded in a focusing item I.E. a sword.

notice how these two posts say exactly the same thing? yeah, read before you post pal

You're serius in the mod making part. The forum managemen is a second work for you.

notice how these two posts say exactly the same thing? yeah, read before you post pal

Take your own advise dude. They don't say the same thing. One says if you punch zombies with a gem they catch on fire and the other says no gems don't have the ability to do that until they're put on something.

Honestly i think gems should be like in real life. Pretty with little usage. You could encrust blocks and items with gems but it would do nothing but make them fancy. Sure it wouldn't be entirely functional but imagine being the only guy on the server with your ruby crown and emerald studded castle. Perhaps gems would need to be cut to a specific standard until they can be encrusted, to make them even more rare.

What i'm trying to say is if you find a gem in TFCraft you should be totally excited because you found a rare gem and now you can be Mr. Fancy Esq. :D Alternitavely if you don't want the gem the rarity and scarcity of them means you will fetch a nice price on a server, and more functional metals for you!

Or even jewellry could be implemented, as an entirely new trade :3

Jewellery would be cool. Might take a bit of work but maybe a jewellery slot (akin to the aether's?) Only so that you could show it off better. But only one. So you'd have to decide between necklaces, bracers, bracelets, chokers and more. Otherwise you'd look like a rapper with 'dem gold chainz!'.

If magic or enchanting IS included they probably would be important in that, but i'm not a fan of magic being implemented in TFCraft and i'm more interested in gems as a way of prettying up the place :)

Also, I think as well as jewellery, you should be able to encrust armor in patterns with gems. Only so you can go toe to toe with creepers in style!

If they were to implement a few more slots, one option would be to make it so you choose between a piece of jewelry that possibly contains an enchantment of some kind, or a piece of armor that makes you a heavier melee type. This would help diversify combat roles on SMP to be sure.

If they were to implement a few more slots, one option would be to make it so you choose between a piece of jewelry that possibly contains an enchantment of some kind, or a piece of armor that makes you a heavier melee type. This would help diversify combat roles on SMP to be sure.

Read these threads they are all about diversifying combat. It is so big, it is in 3 parts. It's totally a combat overhaul thing.

http://terrafirmacra..._8117#entry8117

http://terrafirmacra...erhaul-cont-23/

http://terrafirmacra...rhaul-final-33/

Take your own advise dude. They don't say the same thing. One says if you punch zombies with a gem they catch on fire and the other says no gems don't have the ability to do that until they're put on something.

1. advice is spelled like that

2. yes, they arent verbatim exactly the same, but have the same basic meaning, that gems would have an inherent magical enegrgy to them that would be imbued into any peice of equipment they are in, but i do like the whole using gems straight, maybe, if you hit a mob with a gem or throw it or something, it would cause the gem to break and release it's energy causeing a weak AOE of it's effect, simulating the magical energy within being released

ECC said that if a gem didn't exhibit power on it's own it shouldn't add any effect to an object it was embedded into, Ryuugamo's post was more of a question asking what if said gem needed to to embedded before it could exhibit it's power, using the item as a focus. Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion.

It seems like if gems naturally exuded their essence then you'd find random explosions or frozen spots while mining, god forbid you mine a piece of ruby, you'd spend the next few weeks growing those eyebrows back. The two ways I see it though is either the gems are trapped power that is then directed by the actual will of the user (thus the need for them to be embedded on something in order to use said magics) or they're a magical focus used to direct the powers of the user in specific ways (thus the need for them to be embedded on something in order to use said magics) Of course, if Bioxx and Dunk were to go in the direction where you just inherently have magic abilities and gems were a way of magnifying them, that would be another option, but that seems a bit far of a stretch from what we've all come to know as a mod with believable built in. Guess we'll find out.