Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bookcreeper

Gem Cutting

105 posts in this topic

Hmmm. Maybe a bit of both? Rubies, emeralds, sapphires e.t.c would be normal gems with no extra-ordinary properties, but maybe they could implement some magical 'made-up' gems with magical properties? I for one am not a great fan of magic in TFCraft but if it is implemented, It should probably exist in its own little world.

I mean what if your ingots got up and floated about you'd be like WTF! Just because its gems doesn't mean they should be magic.

Perhaps if magic is included you could have a 'gem enchanter' to make the gems magical? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Making up gems to be magical wouldn't solve anything.

I think a more believable way of handling this is to reverse it: instead of saying that gems have latent magical properties, why not just say that the magic that exists in the TFC universe is such that it can be easily stored and/or channeled through uniform geometric patterns as well as certain chemical compounds that can retain magical energy. This would imply that crystal structures would be quite useful in storing magic and that any faults or imperfections in a crystal would lead to a reduction in the potency or quantity of magic that can be stored within it. Further, it allows the chemical structure of each individual gem to pertain to a different form of magic, decided either by the base chemical structure or the impurity that colours the crystal, as you would have to do for rubies and sapphires (as they are both corundum crystals, and only differ in the tiny impurity that colours them).

Basically, instead of assigning magical properties to real-life objects, you make the magic fit so nicely into the physical properties those objects already possess.

I think a more believable way of handling this is to reverse it: instead of saying that gems have latent magical properties, why not just say that the magic that exists in the TFC universe is such that it can be easily stored and/or channeled through uniform geometric patterns as well as certain chemical compounds that can retain magical energy. This would imply that crystal structures would be quite useful in storing magic and that any faults or imperfections in a crystal would lead to a reduction in the potency or quantity of magic that can be stored within it. Further, it allows the chemical structure of each individual gem to pertain to a different form of magic, decided either by the base chemical structure or the impurity that colours the crystal, as you would have to do for rubies and sapphires (as they are both corundum crystals, and only differ in the tiny impurity that colours them).

Basically, instead of assigning magical properties to real-life objects, you make the magic fit so nicely into the physical properties those objects already possess.

You are the best pre-historic dev fish ever!

You are the best pre-historic dev fish ever!

this so needs to be his title from now on

Have you ever read Eragon? This is a carbon copy of one of the laws of magic in that book.

Have you ever read Eragon? This is a carbon copy of one of the laws of magic in that book.

...What?

Eragon's magic was based on truenaming, not fucking chemistry

...What?

Eragon's magic was based on truenaming, not fucking chemistry

I didn't say "based" I said "one of". Remember how you can store energy (magic) in gems, the larger and more perfect the better? Letta frehöer.

I didn't say "based" I said "one of". Remember how you can store energy (magic) in gems, the larger and more perfect the better? Letta frehöer.

Stretching it.

'Gem quality = powerful magic' has been a staple formula for both western and japanese games and movies for quite a long time now. The differences offered here were in the specifics, not the base concept

Stretching it.

'Gem quality = powerful magic' has been a staple formula for both western and japanese games and movies for quite a long time now. The differences offered here were in the specifics, not the base concept

True. I swear that I saw the whole "crystalline structure allows for magic to be stored and focused in varied ways" physics idea some where before... Regardless, it's a brilliant solution. And fitting.

I never claimed it was an original idea, (most things never are) but I CAN say that I haven't stolen it. (This is a distinction many stupid people can't seem to make, just because an idea existed before it was suggested doesn't mean it was stolen. I had honestly never heard of the crystalline structure energy magic thing before I suggested it, but I certainly wasn't assuming I was the first to think of it)

I never claimed it was an original idea, (most things never are) but I CAN say that I haven't stolen it. (This is a distinction many stupid people can't seem to make, just because an idea existed before it was suggested doesn't mean it was stolen. I had honestly never heard of the crystalline structure energy magic thing before I suggested it, but I certainly wasn't assuming I was the first to think of it)

There are about 7 billion people in the world, so...yeah that's quite normal. These things happen continuously everyday.

With as long as mankind has been here and with as many people have lived, I can say this non-original phrase with gusto "There is nothing new under the sun." Yes, I'm aware that somewhere in history someone else said exactly what I just did, but I don't care cause I didn't hear it.

No, that's not true... It *might* be for the average person, but technologies and equations are being developed everyday.

Just last month, some scientists calculated that we could make warp drive (10 * light speed, no adverse physics effects... it involves contracting and expanding space-time (or was it just space? Idr), I don't have time to get into it now)

With as long as mankind has been here and with as many people have lived, I can say this non-original phrase with gusto "There is nothing new under the sun." Yes, I'm aware that somewhere in history someone else said exactly what I just did, but I don't care cause I didn't hear it.

Sometimes I think that, but other times I'm sure that I can write something that no one ever wrote.

Like this fsdbubkhvsoabngfibangfnobfgoh isf0orynjpjiotshkontjdigbshubov dfivbnirk

Sometimes I think that, but other times I'm sure that I can write something that no one ever wrote.

Like this fsdbubkhvsoabngfibangfnobfgoh isf0orynjpjiotshkontjdigbshubov dfivbnir

nah, I used that in an English paper yesterday, sorry :P

nah, I used that in an English paper yesterday, sorry :P

Yeeees, you tried, but you didn't write it. Too difficult. Oh, forgot a letter, going to write it above NOW.

No, that's not true... It *might* be for the average person, but technologies and equations are being developed everyday.

Just last month, some scientists calculated that we could make warp drive (10 * light speed, no adverse physics effects... it involves contracting and expanding space-time (or was it just space? Idr), I don't have time to get into it now)

It was space-time, it was based off Einstein's theories so it should be that.

Back in 2004 they published a method to reach warp speed via solar sails. After further testing they realized it was only warp 0.9 and not warp 1. Why terminal velocity? You and your brother friction/drag make us do further research. I bet we'll find the energy cost for that space fold drive unworth the costs.

Amazingly enough all this science was around back in the 60s.

It was space-time, it was based off Einstein's theories so it should be that.

Wait, what? Einstein specifically said that everything in this universe moves at exact speed of c through the space-time in relation to the specified reference system. One does not say something moves faster than c and base this statement off of Relativity theory.

As for warp drive, it must be based on negative energy density field of sorts, which bends space-time by extending it from one side and compressing from another, so you can move while you're not moving and thus not interfering with Einstein at all. But this is only theoretical, and estimated density of enegry that must be removed is somewhere near the equivalent of couple of Jupiters for the purpose of propelling a thing the size of a car. So yeah.

And why would you want to cut jems anyway? You pound them in mortar, mix with a bit of mayonnaise and then apply the substance all over your face. Rune magic, gentlemen.

And why would you want to cut jems anyway? You pound them in mortar, mix with a bit of mayonnaise and then apply the substance all over your face. Rune magic, gentlemen.

This isn't a bloody spa! Go take your jar of confounded mayonnaise and throw it in the Thames!

This isn't a bloody spa! Go take your jar of confounded mayonnaise and throw it in the Thames!

khekhekhe...but it's going to be a bloody spa....

khekhekhe...but it's going to be a bloody spa....

I am concerned that you have decided to become a murderous villain, you must be stopped, in the name of the Queen!

Wait, what? Einstein specifically said that everything in this universe moves at exact speed of c through the space-time in relation to the specified reference system. One does not say something moves faster than c and base this statement off of Relativity theory.

As for warp drive, it must be based on negative energy density field of sorts, which bends space-time by extending it from one side and compressing from another, so you can move while you're not moving and thus not interfering with Einstein at all. But this is only theoretical, and estimated density of enegry that must be removed is somewhere near the equivalent of couple of Jupiters for the purpose of propelling a thing the size of a car. So yeah.

As you yourself said, the object is not really travelling, but standing still as the space around it is shifted. The object itself isn't moving, the space around is. So It is in fact based on Einstein's theory, by taking advantage of a loop hole in that so known rule of the universe. Objects can't go faster than light, but time-space easily can. It's says everywhere they solved the energy problem too, but i just can't find a thrustworthy explanation, so i'm gonna let that to someone else who knows this stuff a little better than i do :

It's gems, not jems, by the way. #grammar_nazi_in_training

It's gems, not jems, by the way. #grammar_nazi_in_training

And you're training is coming along excellently! You'll be righting many an egregious errors faster that you can say "god save the Queen".

I am concerned that you have decided to become a murderous villain,

thats why i was locked away for 495 years don't you know?