Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Treyflix

Red steel!

35 posts in this topic

So I just recently found some garniterite on my ssp world and made my self a black steel anvil! I also have begun making red steel and have one batch cooked up. Soon I will have a red steel anvil :D

So the discussion topic for today is, what stuff is it worth it to make with red steel in SSP and non PvP SMP worlds?

Is the armor worth it just to be onstintanious?

Does the sword one hit KO or 1 crit KO monsters? Cause if it doesn't, it's not much better than a plain old steel sword.

I'm sure the pick is quite practical due to having the highest mining speed.

The saw, axe and scythe are all already ridiculously fast even in the low tiers, you would really only being doing it for the durability.

The hammer, Propick and Hoe would all be purely for durability as thye are instantaneous.

What about the shovel? Perhaps for really large projects having a turfmaster 5000 would be useful.

However those are just my opinions to get started with! What do you think is worth it and why?

Red Steel has nearly twice the life span of regular steel, but the weapon damage isn't significantly greater.

I suggest making a bismuth bronze helmet. Have you seen it? It HAS WINGS. It's so cool. Red steel is lame, btw.

Red Steel has nearly twice the life span of regular steel, but the weapon damage isn't significantly greater.

So if you have plenty of nickel it's worth it just for the durability... What about pick and shovel speed? Care to give us on any vauge insights on that? Also, is red steel armor better than diamond? Does it overfill the armor bar?

I suggest making a bismuth bronze helmet. Have you seen it? It HAS WINGS. It's so cool. Red steel is lame, btw.

Wings?! Siiiick. I'm trying to think of a good hero outfit, what would look good with bismuth bronze helm other than more bismuth bronze? Also the rose gold helm is pretty sick. And why is red steel lame?!

So if you have plenty of nickel it's worth it just for the durability... What about pick and shovel speed? Care to give us on any vauge insights on that? Also, is red steel armor better than diamond? Does it overfill the armor bar?

no, but i can tell you that steel has more than twice the durability of vanilla diamond tools.

no, but i can tell you that steel has more than twice the durability of vanilla diamond tools.

So red/blue steel has FOUR times the durability of diamond? Wow. Aww, not even just a "red steel is X times faster than steel"? Oh well, I understand.

Red steel has twice the durability, but each ingot of red steel uses more than twice as much iron and a ton of additional metals that steel doesn't. It also takes way more than twice as long to produce.

Red steel has twice the durability, but each ingot of red steel uses more than twice as much iron and a ton of additional metals that steel doesn't. It also takes way more than twice as long to produce.

not twice. almost twice. There's a difference.

More than twice- an ingot of weak steel takes 0.5 ingots of iron to make and has to be cut with a whole ingot of iron. So black steel is 1.5 ingots of iron.

An ingot of weak red or blue steel takes 0.675 ingots of iron (0.25 from the steel, 0.375 from the black steel) and then has to be cut with an ingot of black steel. So each ingot of red/blue steel takes 2.175 ingots of iron to make. Meanwhile, steel takes 1 ingot of iron.

I think he was referring to twice the durability, the first line of the quote.

I think he was referring to twice the durability, the first line of the quote.

That makes WAYYY more sense! Sorry, dunk.

So... Steel is the best (as in most efficient) Tier for tools and armor. Thanks for the information Dunk. ;)

Red/Blue steel is definately faster as a pickaxe, we tested it one night, it's just slightly faster, kind of like when you race with bronze versus steel.

Red/Blue steel is definately faster as a pickaxe, we tested it one night, it's just slightly faster, kind of like when you race with bronze versus steel.

Sweet. So, other then the pickaxe is it really worth it to make stuff out of red/blue steel other than for bragging rights or PvP?

Red/Blue steel is almost 25% more efficient than regular steel.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Sweet. So, other then the pickaxe is it really worth it to make stuff out of red/blue steel other than for bragging rights or PvP?

I find tools very viable to make. Armor much less so because of the ridiculous amount of material it takes to make a single piece of armor.

I find tools very viable to make. Armor much less so because of the ridiculous amount of material it takes to make a single piece of armor.

That's a good thing really (and in keeping with the *naughty word* real world :P)

It makes armour worth something, instead of vanilla where NOT having armour was unusual :L

Red/Blue steel is almost 25% more efficient than regular steel.

Curious.

I decided to reduce the problem to the number of base input metals (ingots) and found out that you are...partially correct?

1 red steel bar takes 0.75 pig iron ingots to make.*

1 steel bar takes 1 pig iron igot to make.

But that leaves out the 2 nickle, 5 copper, 0.5 silver, 3.25 gold, and 1 zinc required. Not to mention the extra time spent in the anvil GUI.

That's a huge investment of time and ancilary materials to save on a little iron. Although if red steel is twice as durable, there you go then.

*w indicates worked, as an ingot rather than as a weak bar, (w) indicates how many times the anvil is used

4RSw = BS + S + RG + Br + BSw + (w)

4BSw = 2S + N + BB + PIw + (w)

4BS = 2S + N + BB

4S = 3WI + PI

WI = PIw + (w)

PIw = PI + (w)

16RSw = 4BS + 4S + 4Br + 4BSw + 4(w)

16RSw = 8S + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 4PIw + 8(w)

16RSw = 6WI + 2PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 4PIw + 8(w)

16RSw = 10PIw + 2PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 14(w)

16RSw = 12PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 24(w)

4RSw = 3PI + 0.5N + 0.5BB + RG + Br + 6(w)

4 each of Black Bronze, Rose Gold, and Brass total 4 gold, 6 copper, 1 zinc, and a silver.

4Sw = 3WI + PI + (w)

4Sw = 3PIw + PI + (w)

4Sw = 4PI + 4(w)

(Edit: slight mistake in the (w) calculation)

Curious.

I decided to reduce the problem to the number of base input metals (ingots) and found out that you are...partially correct?

1 red steel bar takes 0.75 pig iron ingots to make.*

1 steel bar takes 1 pig iron igot to make.

But that leaves out the 2 nickle, 5 copper, 0.5 silver, 3.25 gold, and 1 zinc required. Not to mention the extra time spent in the anvil GUI.

That's a huge investment of time and ancilary materials to save on a little iron. Although if red steel is twice as durable, there you go then.

*w indicates worked, as an ingot rather than as a weak bar, (w) indicates how many times the anvil is used

4BSw = 2S + N + BB + PIw + (w)

4BS = 2S + N + BB

4S = 3WI + PI

WI = PIw + (w)

PIw = PI + (w)

16RSw = 4BS + 4S + 4Br + 4BSw + (w)

16RSw = 8S + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 4PIw + 5(w)

16RSw = 6WI + 2PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 4PIw + 5(w)

16RSw = 10PIw + 2PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 11(w)

16RSw = 12PI + 2N + 2BB + 4RG + 4Br + 21(w)

4RSw = 3PI + 0.5N + 0.5BB + RG + Br + 5.25(w)

4 each of Black Bronze, Rose Gold, and Brass total 4 gold, 6 copper, 1 zinc, and a silver.

4Sw = 3WI + PI + (w)

4Sw = 3PIw + PI + (w)

4Sw = 4PI + 4(w)

again, I was talking about mining speed

again, I was talking about mining speed

Ha, of course.

So red/blue steel I more iron efficient? Huh... Wow. So if you have a bunch of gold copper silver nickel and time, have at it?

No, that's not what he meant. Tools have a stat on them called efficiency which determines how quickly they break stuff. Blue/red steel has about 25% more of that stat. As mentioned, red/blue steel use more than twice as much iron as regular steel and have less than twice as much durability. The higher efficiency is a pretty good argument in favor of using red/blue steel pickaxes, though.

As mentioned, red/blue steel use more than twice as much iron as regular steel and have less than twice as much durability. The higher efficiency is a pretty good argument in favor of using red/blue steel pickaxes, though.

Actually, they don't. Unless you'd like to point out where my math (simple algebra) is wrong.

It takes more starting iron to produce any red steel, but the overall iron-per-bar is lower.

4RSw = 3PI + 0.5N + 0.5BB + RG + Br + 6(w)

(That'd be 3 unworked pig iron)

4Sw = 4PI + 4(w)

(That'd be 4 unworked pig iron)

4 red steel takes 5 black steel and 1 steel.

4 black steel takes 4 pig iron and 2 steel.

I think you can see where this is going.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0