Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jed1314

Trade (A Totally SMP Suggestion)

23 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I have made a suggestion .. And you thought you had finally escaped ? Ha ! :)

I have made this based on the discussion thread, but thought it deserved a suggestion.

A prologue:

A cart rumbled along a deserted cobble highway. It moves no quicker than walking speed, piled high with goods covered with a sheet. He is making the trade run to the northern territories. Five guards surround the cart, ensuring it is safe from any highwaymen and other bandits. It had been a long time since he had crossed the great ice road, that glittering path of frozen water which led across the sea to the northern Capital, and he was apprehensive, dreading the coming traverse. As it conspires, that was the least of his issues. As he rounded a bend in the road, a loud explosion was heard and the guard in front of him fell into a large pit which had opened in the road. He turned. The men to his right had been filled with javelins, now resembling human pin cushions. They still could not see their attackers. He was unable to move the cart as the road infront and behind him were both collapsed. He knew he was doomed. At that point, a hidden voice shouted, "We will have these goods, you can surrender them or we can take them. Your money or your life. Your choice".

Basic Premise: Several features which would allow trade on servers to flourish and develop.

New Features: Carts I have covered these before, so I won't go in depth

Regionalized Resources Why trade if you can get everything you need ?

Use of existing features: None

Carts:

I covered these in my transport overhaul thread (which would complement this excellently). Here is a link:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1256-period-appropriate-transport-logistics/

Regionalized Resources:

Why do people trade ? A few reasons. Convenience, laziness, time restrictions, the inability to fulfill that need by yourself, the list goes on. However, one of the key requirements for trade to happen is differing levels of availability of goods in different areas.

I propose that the resources of the game become more localized and valuable. As an example, lets say you needed sinew to make a bow, and that sinew came from deer. If deer only spawned in norther territories, equatorial nations would NEED to trade with the northerners for sinew to make a bow. Lets say you need to eat a certain amount of fruit to prevent illness. If the north was only suitable for certain crops but not fruit, meaning you need to trade with the equator.

Lets take this a bit further. I propose a new generation option (Note: This is an OPTION. It is not mandatory as I know it would break SSP). This would generate the world as normal, but the minerals would be grouped in huge deposits and would be far more distributed. This would lead to regional variations in mineral levels. This is only necessary for the most common ores (Ores like nickel don't need this as they are already rare). This would also lead to interesting dynamics as certain places would change in value (e.g. Early in a servers life, tin bearing areas would be very valuable. As the server matured, iron would be far more valuable than tin, so the value of the tin rich region would fall.

This suggestion is still in its infancy, so lets see where it goes.

Please don't comment with things like "Would break SSP, hell no". It's intended as an SMP change and will involve adding a NEW generation method in addition to the regular one.

the prob with this is, that there are too few servers, that could take that many players+have a reasonable price per player

as i see it, there are 3-4 regions, that need settlements, to actually work, so we need at least 20 players+traders

if the hearthstone system is integrated even more

good idea, but until there are some big communityprojects, that can actually acommodate these high serverspecs -> many chunks have to be loaded for this to work too, and enough players are ok with such a huge server

i have to say no

again awesome ideas,as usuall

Well I know that my server will be capable of holding 30 - 40 players (minimum).

You are right, there won't be many servers big enough to hold this :/

I wouldn't make my server P2P .. I'm not even sure if I'm ever going to add donations :P

Thanks man :)

Well I know that my server will be capable of holding 30 - 40 players (minimum).

You are right, there won't be many servers big enough to hold this :/

I wouldn't make my server P2P .. I'm not even sure if I'm ever going to add donations :P

Thanks man :)

Oh guess i'd want to play on your server then;)

I like it:) it is a first step to the "kingdoms" thing, that would help making small cities of miners and other stuff...

the thing with the sinew is a bad example though i think;) there are many animals around the world...and they all have sinews...and many could be used for a bow;)

i get the idea of course;)

but milk(cows only in moderate regions), salt (mountains/ocean), fish (big lakes/ocean), wool (moderate to cold(?) regions) , metals(as described above), and all kinds of processed stuff (clothing, metalwork, food..) would be localized features i guess...

Another feature that could be added is a "trading chest"

you could put stuff in that should be traded and the trader would have to put in their goods in exchange to get yours out...<br>similar to the npc villagers in 1.3.2 but with different goods....if it is exchanging...or with money (which is bein introduced i think?! the sprites are there so...)

Like this trading could be done even if the trading partner is not there.

of course the chest would also need to have an inventory like a normal chest to take the traded items out or put them in, but that could only be accesed by the owner.

I DO see the problem gismo stated...but it doesn't always have to be sooo many people right? 1 person COULD run a mine..it would be rather slow though..but this problem kills EVERY smp change...kingdoms too....

Don't know how to quote a spoiler but I don't think that that suggestion would work. I like what Jed wrote as his inspiration and I think that a trading item/block would has the same problem as indestructible personal chests.

Again, a very well thought, researched thread... although not as long as previous ones, but still pretty good :P

I actually was about to make a negative reply until i saw the new world gen would be optional :3 so yeah, a +1 to this

Don't know how to quote a spoiler but I don't think that that suggestion would work. I like what Jed wrote as his inspiration and I think that a trading item/block would has the same problem as indestructible personal chests.

huh...what's the problem with indestructible chests? they have it in vanilla mc so coding should be possible...

or is it because people won't be able to steal your stuff?! well they can still steal everything else if they HAVE to.

Also everything in the chest can be traded for so you don't put things that you want to keep...

even though i think stealing other peoples hard work is kinda stupid...if you want to be an asshole play gta and drive over prostitutes or sth..

If its not this trade block it will need to be something else similar current trade is way to easy to abuse. A runescape trade GUI would work fine also.

Ore generation like this will be key to trade, along with a complex manufacturing process but my problem is, is that a server with a thousand people (not everyone is online at once) is going to be far more spread out than a server with five people. Basically that means that either the a thousand would not need trade as their areas would be large enough to get all the resources they need or the five would need to travel forever just to find a little bit of metal. Scale these things based on the server cap, the bigger the cap the bigger the world, ore spread and ore deposits.

If its not this trade block it will need to be something else similar current trade is way to easy to abuse. A runescape trade GUI would work fine also.

saw the word runescape, almost slapped you through the internet

but actually i agree that kind of trade gui would be nice

saw the word runescape, almost slapped you through the internet

but actually i agree that kind of trade gui would be nice

It's all, imma slap you so hard it's gonna hurt everyone who plays the same rpg as you! (including my 4thgrade self) but yes, I agree also.

A trade UI would be nice, instead of me having to.... THROW IT TO THE GROUND! hehe... anyways, +1 Jed :)

A trade UI would be nice, instead of me having to.... THROW IT TO THE GROUND! hehe... anyways, +1 Jed :)

That's not my dad! That's a wooden bucket! So I threw it On the ground.!

It's all, imma slap you so hard it's gonna hurt everyone who plays the same rpg as you! (including my 4thgrade self) but yes, I agree also.

ok first you say you're in 8th grade, then you say 3rd, now you say you're in 4th

MAKE UP YOUR MIND LITTLE ONE

ok first you say you're in 8th grade, then you say 3rd, now you say you're in 4th

MAKE UP YOUR MIND LITTLE ONE

I meant I'd go back In time and slap my self when I was in 4th grade. Also when did I say the other two?

lol catfight

Mrow

Mrow

HIIISSsssssssssss....

HIIISSsssssssssss....

*Creepers running away 'til they get tired and self destruct*

*Creepers running away 'til they get tired and self destruct*

well that was more of a cat hiss than a creeper hiss but oh well

Creepers in MC always ran from the ocelots, tamed or not : that's why...

EDIT: lol, i didn't noticed it was like the sound creepers do :P

Creepers in MC always ran from the ocelots, tamed or not : that's why...

EDIT: lol, i didn't noticed it was like the sound creepers do :P

ah i understand nows

I've heard a couple people say they use this mod to do carts and I think it's really well done, if you look at the inspiration there are larger carts that could carry more items, something like this along with the ability to tame cows or maybe in the future horses, They moved slower on normal ground, faster on roads establishing a reason to put roads down, all in all it seems a perfect fit for TFCraft.

and you can sit in them, buggies! lol

I've heard a couple people say they use this mod to do carts and I think it's really well done, if you look at the inspiration there are larger carts that could carry more items, something like this along with the ability to tame cows or maybe in the future horses, They moved slower on normal ground, faster on roads establishing a reason to put roads down, all in all it seems a perfect fit for TFCraft.

and you can sit in them, buggies! lol

hmm i think this has already been discussed in a previous thread that's been dead for a while now,

you wanna start a new one on carts? i'll back you up

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0