Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ethreality

Woodcutting, and charcoal.

155 posts in this topic

Being an anti-environmentalist myself, I like situating myself next to a fairly large forest of decent wood types and deforesting the thing into a hills and plains. Never have to replant anything, and I feel like I'm doing my part for the cause.

Alright Bioxx and friend, hopefully you've been reading this. It seems an acceptable conclusion has been reached.

I know you're busy, and you're doing a damn fine job, but if you could please add this to your to-do list, it would be much appreciated.

I agree this needs to be done but you guys are missing something we can't make these trees realistic sizes, not without the sky limit being set higher. If kapoks or sequoias were set to their true height they would be taller than the surrounding mountains and we can't make the mountains much higher than they are. If we could use like Cubic Chunks for this that would be great but Bioxx hasn't found a way yet. I think we will be waiting a while on this one.

Being an anti-environmentalist myself, I like situating myself next to a fairly large forest of decent wood types and deforesting the thing into a hills and plains. Never have to replant anything, and I feel like I'm doing my part for the cause.

...I sincerely hope you're just talking about in-game when you mention 'anti-environmentalist'...

...I sincerely hope you're just talking about in-game when you mention 'anti-environmentalist'...

Not really, the sooner the environment is destroyed here, the sooner a crisis occurs and humans have to move beyond Earth. Or be destroyed. Either works I guess.

Not really, the sooner the environment is destroyed here, the sooner a crisis occurs and humans have to move beyond Earth. Or be destroyed. Either works I guess.

... Now i am the one who seriously hopes you are joking.

Yeah.... lol

exactly the reason we need to not expend all our resources now, we currently have no means of getting to/inhabiting another planet. yes it is inevitable that eventually we will run out of resources here, but untill we can figure out a way to get to other habitable planets, we need to be as careful as we can with what we have,

its like being stuck on a lifeboat with limeited water, untill you find a way to get to land, you have to be caurefull with the water you have with you

This is an interesting suggestion. I know I'd like to get back to my roots (so to speak) after animals and rework more of the trees. I'd like to see longer grow times, or possibly more gradual grow times, as the tree would grow through stages like the fruit trees do (although you would be able to harvest lumber at any stage of growth). If I do decide to rework trees, they may end up growing nearly forever. Natural tree spawns will also be different, and trees will probably have more lumber on average. Just some stuff to think about.

This is an interesting suggestion. I know I'd like to get back to my roots (so to speak) after animals and rework more of the trees. I'd like to see longer grow times, or possibly more gradual grow times, as the tree would grow through stages like the fruit trees do (although you would be able to harvest lumber at any stage of growth). If I do decide to rework trees, they may end up growing nearly forever. Natural tree spawns will also be different, and trees will probably have more lumber on average. Just some stuff to think about.

yeah because trees arent just a vertical shaft of wood 4-6 metres tall surrounded by leaves, theres these things called branches that mojang forgot about for most trees

I would love to see trees that grow up to the size of jungles, if they are the correct type of tree, or interestingly enough, there is a species of quaking aspen that one forest is actually one organism, much like grass, it's one underground root system, with shoots are are trees.

...wow. What are you possessed by fucking Zarm from captain planet, or something? I mean holy shit.

So you're actually willing to sacrifice an entire planet just for humans to reach whatever next stage is waiting for us? You realize there's something horribly wrong with you right?

...wow. What are you possessed by fucking Zarm from captain planet, or something? I mean holy shit.

So you're actually willing to sacrifice an entire planet just for humans to reach whatever next stage is waiting for us? You realize there's something horribly wrong with you right?

and he's saying that, if we arent advanced enough to get to that point, then he's pretty much saying that we deserve to be destroyed

Just wait till 2050 or so everyone, by that time, the technological singularity will have happened, and we will be constantly be reaching the "next step".

As said somewhere else... people with bad ideas generally don't realize they are bad until someone else points it out :

As said somewhere else... people with bad ideas generally don't realize they are bad until someone else points it out :

well a bad idea is one thing, completely saying "screw you earth" is something completely different

and he's saying that, if we arent advanced enough to get to that point, then he's pretty much saying that we deserve to be destroyed

well I don't really care what happens to the humans, but the rest of the planet shouldn't have to suffer because we're a bunch of dipshits

well I don't really care what happens to the humans, but the rest of the planet shouldn't have to suffer because we're a bunch of dipshits

Haha :P That is true, but as devils advocate here:

Why protect the earth (presuming we developed the technology to move on) ? What do we really owe the planet or any of it's species ? I'm not suggesting we are superior, or that we deserve to live more than any other animal, but I would say that human interest #1 is looking after ourselves. If we could benefit from moving to another planet and strip mining/depleting earth into oblivion, why not ?

You have a conscience, that is why. I really hope nobody actually thinks as above :S I am hardly a veggie or even an animals rights activist, but I love our planet and I think it is beautiful and precious, even if it is less unique than we foolishly believe.

What do we really owe the planet

well we owe it the fact that it's the only known planet that can harbor (our kind of) life in any of the known universe as far as we know

well we owe it the fact that it's the only known planet that can harbor (our kind of) life in any of the known universe as far as we know

Hmmm, not quite. We are almost 100% positive it is a statistical certainty that other life bearing planets like earth exist. The universe is so vast that it is impossible to be otherwise. Also, as the universe is expanding and planets are changing constantly, this is even more true.

What I think you meant is that it is the only planet which harbours life in the immediately observable portion of the universe :L :L

/pedanticrant

Hmmm, not quite. We are almost 100% positive it is a statistical certainty that other life bearing planets like earth exist. The universe is so vast that it is impossible to be otherwise. Also, as the universe is expanding and planets are changing constantly, this is even more true.

What I think you meant is that it is the only planet which harbours life in the immediately observable portion of the universe :L :L

/pedanticrant

yes and seeing as those other planets are thousands or hundreds of thousands of light years away, we have no chance of getting there anytime soon

and if we're gonna be statistical about it

the average population of the universe is zero as said by Douglas Adams

yes and seeing as those other planets are thousands or hundreds of thousands of light years away, we have no chance of getting there anytime soon

and if we're gonna be statistical about it

the average population of the universe is zero as said by Douglas Adams

Weeeelllllll .. That depends on the average you are taking and how many significant figures you are using (but certainly the average is approaching 0)

I totally agree we won't get to them soon though.

You also have an above average number of legs ;)

Unless you don't, in which case I am sorry :P

Weeeelllllll .. That depends on the average you are taking and how many significant figures you are using (but certainly the average is approaching 0)

I totally agree we won't get to them soon though.

You also have an above average number of legs ;)

Unless you don't, in which case I am sorry :P

weeeeellllll the average population of the universe is zero because theres a infinite ammounts of worlds because there's an ifinite ammount of space for them to be in. seince only some of these worlds are inhabited, the population is the number of inhabitants devided by infinity

any number devided by infinity is as close to zero as you can get, so, rounded, the population of the universe is zero :P

and if you don't like it, its not my fault, this is Douglas Adams' fault

weeeeellllll the average population of the universe is zero because theres a infinite ammounts of worlds because there's an ifinite ammount of space for them to be in. seince only some of these worlds are inhabited, the population is the number of inhabitants devided by infinity

any number devided by infinity is as close to zero as you can get, so, rounded, the population of the universe is zero :P

and if you don't like it, its not my fault, this is Douglas Adams' fault

There is not an infinite amount of space. What is it like 10^80 atoms or something? I saw some math program once where they discuss it.

A statement made on false assumptions is a false statement.

(PS, while there are about 10^80 atoms in the universe, if the whole volume of the universe was filled with atoms, it would be about 10^90 atoms)

There is actually no such thing as actual infinites, everything is theoretically finite, except the reaches of space, which are a void, and are not counted as it is a nothing, not a something.