Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ethreality

Jumping up and placing a block under yourself.

Regarding the ability to place a block under yourself after jumping.   38 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be removed?

• Yes.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

This is just a quick suggestion.

I believe the ability to jump up and place a block directly under yourself should be removed.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Hey Bud. Just thought I should mention that starting a poll for something will not change how we choose to program and/or design this game. You are not a developer. We are.

-Dunk.

Edited by dunkleosteus
clarification

No. Scaffolding is a pain in the ass, especially in TFC where some blocks use gravity so you have to go hunt down specific blocks just to build the scaffolding, nevermind the actual structure.

No. Scaffolding is a pain in the ass, especially in TFC where some blocks use gravity so you have to go hunt down specific blocks just to build the scaffolding, nevermind the actual structure.

i couldn't agree more, planks for example are a type of block that isn't affected by gravity, but it'd fuck up a good amount of wood just to make the planks to use as scaffolding.

only way i see this as a nice implementation is if we can get an easy way to scaffold (and not just using dirt, removing it is a pain as well as just placing it)

i couldn't agree more, planks for example are a type of block that isn't affected by gravity, but it'd fuck up a good amount of wood just to make the planks to use as scaffolding.

only way i see this as a nice implementation is if we can get an easy way to scaffold (and not just using dirt, removing it is a pain as well as just placing it)

Ever tried building a house IRL? It takes WORK. Not just lazy placing. TFC is supposed ti respect people who do this for a living (propick) and building counts.

Ever tried building a house IRL? It takes WORK. Not just lazy placing. TFC is supposed ti respect people who do this for a living (propick) and building counts.

Dude, it takes months of construction to build a house IRL. No one wants to wait that long for a house. Besides, TFC is supposed to be believable, not realistic.

I wouldn't want this removed unless there's an easier way to build implemented

Construction is being changed, a lot. Wait to see the changes and then discuss it

I like this. It would make it so the best you can do without long-term planning and work, is a lean-to, or a covered up cave (we need caves), or maybe a pile of sticks.

Some call me a masochist. I call myself a simulationist.

Construction is being changed, a lot. Wait to see the changes and then discuss it

agree'd

Here's my issue with the suggestion.

"Shit, I just fell down a hole two meters deep and all I've got on me is a bunch of dirt."

Here's my issue with the suggestion.

"Shit, I just fell down a hole two meters deep and all I've got on me is a bunch of dirt."

Dig your way out with your hands.

How are you carrying multiple cubic meters of dirt?

How are you carrying multiple cubic meters of dirt?

ok we can't try and get too realistic here, we are working with a world where everything is made into metre cubes, theres explodign green creepers, and clouds always float north

"Hmm. This appears to be solid stone. And I don't have a pickaxe."

you do know that in TFC you can currently break stone by punching it, it takes a hell of a long time but its possible

Well, you are very unlucky, but seeing as you have 2+ cubed meters of dirt with you, bury your feet, step up, pack the dirt in tight, rinse and repeat. But don't think you can just jump a meter up and dump it all in that time. You will sink into loose soil.

And how do you plan on implementing that Xechon? I don't see a way we could implement that in Minecraft this isn't real life.

And how do you plan on implementing that Xechon? I don't see a way we could implement that in Minecraft this isn't real life.

ah lets see if they listen to you, cuz they didnt to me

Sorry, I'm just a simulationist gamer with very little coding knowledge, who just hates when good ideas are thrown down because, while it's infinitely more believable, its makes some people sad. I just state how you would do it irl, and try to let others figure it out from there.

Wow, I didn't mean to sound as angry as that reads.

ah lets see if they listen to you, cuz they didnt to me

I listened, I was just providing alternatives. It is true that you could eventually break stone, but you'll have bloody knuckles and it will take a little while :P

Posted Image

ontopic: climbable scaffolding blocks perhaps?

Also, perhaps 1x1 dirt towers could collapse somehow, so that those pit fails can be worked out.

Sorry, I'm just a simulationist gamer with very little coding knowledge, who just hates when good ideas are thrown down because, while it's infinitely more believable, its makes some people sad. I just state how you would do it irl, and try to let others figure it out from there.

Wow, I didn't mean to sound as angry as that reads.

I listened, I was just providing alternatives. It is true that you could eventually break stone, but you'll have bloody knuckles and it will take a little while :P

For it to work we would need to change the code to allow a block to be placed around you and then we would have to use the soul sand code to allow sinking and stop from spam jumping but it would have to only be active if we had placed the block around us. It is a lot of work considering we won't get much in return.

daveboy: We have discussed collapsing dirt/sand/gravel but the problem is, is that we are yet to be able to implement finite liquids so finite solids is probably a little far reaching.

For it to work we would need to change the code to allow a block to be placed around you and then we would have to use the soul sand code to allow sinking and stop from spam jumping but it would have to only be active if we had placed the block around us. It is a lot of work considering we won't get much in return.

That would actually work quite well, and might even be worth it if eigthblocks or finite soil/gravel/sand are implemented.

daveboy: We have discussed collapsing dirt/sand/gravel but the problem is, is that we are yet to be able to implement finite liquids so finite solids is probably a little far reaching.

Finite solids wouldn't necessarily be needed. I've seen a block physics mod before that creates dirt piles when you try to make a 1x1 tower.

I almost said: finite- I do not think that means what you think it means, but then I realized.

So, I fell into a ravine the other day, and had no blocks on me - I was carrying a ton of important shit on me.

Yes, anyone else in that situation IRL would be dead, but since I couldn't get all my crap back without falling back down and I don't yet have a pick, death would mean losing everything for good.

Realistic? Yes. Fun? Not on your life.

I tried punching my way out, but a 5-block long staircase took me 15 RL minutes, and I was all the way at the very deep bottom.

Thankfully I was on my own server, so I was able to just /gamemode 1 and fly out when I decided I was fed up, but having blocks would have saved my ass WITHOUT me needing to cheat.

Removing their ability to save from these situations would be sacrificing gameplay for artistic statement, which is the hallmark of a BAD. FUCKING. GAME.

So, I fell into a ravine the other day, and had no blocks on me - I was carrying a ton of important shit on me.

Yes, anyone else in that situation IRL would be dead, but since I couldn't get all my crap back without falling back down and I don't yet have a pick, death would mean losing everything for good.

Realistic? Yes. Fun? Not on your life.

I tried punching my way out, but a 5-block long staircase took me 15 RL minutes, and I was all the way at the very deep bottom.

Thankfully I was on my own server, so I was able to just /gamemode 1 and fly out when I decided I was fed up, but having blocks would have saved my ass WITHOUT me needing to cheat.

Removing their ability to save from these situations would be sacrificing gameplay for artistic statement, which is the hallmark of a BAD. FUCKING. GAME.

You can save from these situations, punch out. Yeah, it takes a lot of time. But not as much as IRL. I would never cheat even in this situation. Many people think a good game takes the player into consideration, and in some sense that is true. However, in a game where survival is supposed to be difficult, and the entire point of the game (other than making survival easier), sacrificing believably for the sake of someone who fell in a ravine and miraculously lived is stupid.

Hopefully there is going to be climbing gear in the future, so you can be prepared this time.

Well, you are very unlucky, but seeing as you have 2+ cubed meters of dirt with you, bury your feet, step up, pack the dirt in tight, rinse and repeat. But don't think you can just jump a meter up and dump it all in that time. You will sink into loose soil.

I'm trying to figure out how this is different than the way the game currently is, other than order of operations.

or finite soil/gravel/sand are implemented.

Finite solids wouldn't necessarily be needed.

Wat.

I'm trying to figure out how this is different than the way the game currently is, other than order of operations.

Time mostly. The main problem isn't getting out of a 2 foot hole, though. It's pillaring to the top of a mountain or on top of a building, out of a ravine, etc.

Wat.

ha, I knew someone was going to be confused about that. Finite solids being implemented could help if they were implemented, but are not necessary.

Or if you were questioning what finite solids means, it means that you carry less than a cubic meter of dirt, and place multiple layers to make a full block.