Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ethreality

Jumping up and placing a block under yourself.

Regarding the ability to place a block under yourself after jumping.   38 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be removed?

• Yes.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

I don't even... wasn't almost this exact thread posted less than a month ago?

Also, you want that much realism. go to lowes and buy a shovel and pick then go digging in your backyard.

ha, I knew someone was going to be confused about that. Finite solids being implemented could help if they were implemented, but are not necessary.

Or if you were questioning what finite solids means, it means that you carry less than a cubic meter of dirt, and place multiple layers to make a full block.

So your not talking about finite soil at all, which already exsists, as when. You pick up a cube of dirt you have said block of dirt and it isn't in the world anymore.

You are talking about more limited inventory, which has had the crap discussed out of it and been beaten down with a 2x4 several times.

Limiting inventory and game mechanics which are distasteful to the few doesn't make it fun for the majority. While in the end the decisions are up to Bioxx and Dunk, the poll here isn't in favor of removing jump placing.

Time mostly. The main problem isn't getting out of a 2 foot hole, though. It's pillaring to the top of a mountain or on top of a building, out of a ravine, etc.

If it's about pillaring to the top of a mountain or building or ravine, having that block physics mod physics is enough right? People won't be able to create pillars of dirt or sand, because they will form hills instead when piled upon.

It looks a lot easier to code than the finite solids and solves your part of your problems as well. No need to forbid people from placing blocks below them when jumping.

Might as well just wait and see what they're going to change in construction.

Edit: meh, want to delete this post, but can't.

So your not talking about finite soil at all, which already exsists, as when. You pick up a cube of dirt you have said block of dirt and it isn't in the world anymore.

You are talking about more limited inventory, which has had the crap discussed out of it and been beaten down with a 2x4 several times.

Limiting inventory and game mechanics which are distasteful to the few doesn't make it fun for the majority. While in the end the decisions are up to Bioxx and Dunk, the poll here isn't in favor of removing jump placing.

No, no, no. I meant each time you place dirt, it fills a portion of a block of dirt. I just used that term to keep constant with the post I was replying to. Not limiting inventory.

If it's about pillaring to the top of a mountain or building or ravine, having that block physics mod physics is enough right? People won't be able to create pillars of dirt or sand, because they will form hills instead when piled upon.

It looks a lot easier to code than the finite solids and solves your part of your problems as well. No need to forbid people from placing blocks below them when jumping.

Might as well just wait and see what they're going to change in construction, since you said they might do finite solids.

Edit: meh, want to delete this post, but can't.

Yes, it's enough. I said that, right? Fractional soil blocks was just another suggestion that might work.

So, you mine a cubic meter of dirt, it completely dissapears from the world, but you are left with a fraction of the digged dirt. Where did the rest went? was Steve hungry, he just saw the dirt and thought "mmm, chocolate..."?

You can save from these situations, punch out. Yeah, it takes a lot of time. But not as much as IRL. I would never cheat even in this situation. Many people think a good game takes the player into consideration, and in some sense that is true. However, in a game where survival is supposed to be difficult, and the entire point of the game (other than making survival easier), sacrificing believably for the sake of someone who fell in a ravine and miraculously lived is stupid.

Hopefully there is going to be climbing gear in the future, so you can be prepared this time.

like i said, theres only a certain ammount of believability/realism you can add to a world made of metre cubes

perhaps something like this:

1x1 dirt towers withoud blocks on atleast 2 sides have a certain chance (35%?) of falling apart every 10 ticks, about falling apart, you know how TNT looks when detonated, or sand when falling; i know that falling blocks like this can move horizontally, usually seen in the form of TNT cannons, but sand can do so too, if it falls just right, it becomes a block, if not, it becomes an item. This could be used for this situation, it still allows people to make dirt towers to get out of ravines, however, the 1x1 dirt towers would be impossible as the dirt could pop out any second flying in all directions.

(use a magical singularity (thaumcraft, included in technic) on sand and you'll see what i mean.)

So, as the poll reflects, it has been agreed that this would add too much realism.

Perhaps an essence of unpredictability as daveboy has suggested would be a more acceptable approach?

So, as the poll reflects, it has been agreed that this would add too much realism.

Perhaps an essence of unpredictability as daveboy has suggested would be a more acceptable approach?

Still a loud, 'no' on my part. Unpredictability isn't fun, it's annoying. Especially in that proposed version where the item you just placed just pops out as an item you have to stack back up again and hope it doesn't fall like an eternal Jenga board that you're required to play to get out of a ravine but I'm sure you can go download a version of the game that has that cobblestone bug if you enjoy it that much.

Still a loud, 'no' on my part. Unpredictability isn't fun, it's annoying. Especially in that proposed version where the item you just placed just pops out as an item you have to stack back up again and hope it doesn't fall like an eternal Jenga board that you're required to play to get out of a ravine but I'm sure you can go download a version of the game that has that cobblestone bug if you enjoy it that much.

yeah i think that the overwhelming majority is saying that this is just not gonna work so just let it go

No, it should not be removed. removing this and adding tediousness to the game is not a good idea. Having to dig for an hour because you fell into a hole on a server is busy work. Busy work in a game is a the equivalent of hornets in a daycare center.

No, it should not be removed. removing this and adding tediousness to the game is not a good idea. Having to dig for an hour because you fell into a hole on a server is busy work. Busy work in a game is a the equivalent of hornets in a daycare center.

please tell this to teh developers of MMOs..

I believe you seem to be missing the point of mmo's these days, busy work (aka grinding) is a staple of modern online games.

ok people, many people have already stated that this is going to be a no

so just let it go and go to some other thread and be productive instead of wasting your time and words here

Requesting a thread lock please.

I believe you seem to be missing the point of mmo's these days, busy work (aka grinding) is a staple of modern online games.

see, I dont really think that SHOULD be the point, but alas they dont know how to make a game have content otherwise, because god forbid a player's decision actually impacts the virtual world in any kind of permanent way..

I hate thread locks

unless this thread is using up too much of the websites memory or their is a "your stupid. no your stupid" debate going on I see no reason to stop people from posting their ideas here.

sometimes great ideas come from discussions left going way to long(this is called brainstorming, or at least the Internets version(not exactly but close-enough))

though most of the time not

so if you don't like this post don't read it.

sometimes great ideas come from discussions left going way to long

There is no disucussion going on here, only agreement.

Thread-lock is perfectly valid.

There is no disucussion going on here, only agreement.

Thread-lock is perfectly valid.

or in this case dis-agreement

but discussion could continue and something valid may be said.

you have not thought of everything so locking something that may be of use just because you do not want to look at it is inane.

you have not thought of everything so locking something that may be of use just because you do not want to look at it is inane.

Then they can start a new thread.

Q.E.D.

well technically a meteor could fall out of ther sky and land on your house right now

but thats highly unlikely too

Yeah, once a thread has been derailed to this extent, there is no Re-railing it.