Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkLadyPhoenix

The annoyance of game categories...

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed how ridiculously insufficient game categories are? I mean, come on! How come we have the same numbers and type of game categories as we do in the 80s.

Here's how Steam categorizes their games:

Posted Image

So, as an example, what is an adventure game?

Is that platforming or point and click adventure games? Is it rougelike where you have only a few number keys for abilities and move with the mouse? Those are all very different games.

Which of those count as 'action' games?

Do fighting games count as action or sports depending on the degree of 'realism' the game has?

Where do sandbox games like minecraft go? How about THIS? Where do 'exploratory' games go? I know that's a new thing relatively recently but come on. This shit is popular. Give us a new category already.

Holy shit. I mean, you can't tell me the internet as a whole hasn't figured out that there needs to be more categories for this kind of stuff? I enjoy point and click adventure games. Most people who prefer platformers don't. (This assumption is based solely on the inflammatory comments of those games on steam).

WTF internet and gaming companies as a whole? WTH is wrong with you? Why can't I find JUST the type of games I like instead of having these ridiculously inaccurate lumped crappy categories?

There are sub-genre's of any genre, just as you've pointed out with the adventure genre. It would certainly be nice if greenlight allowed you to pick a genre and then a sub-genre, but I imagine that would require a UI redesign as checking multiple genres would clutter up the UI very quickly. Despite their broad strokes, the different genres are actually pretty well established. See this link. It's not a perfect system, with games like borderlands that are both a shooter and an RPG, but saying a game is a First-Person Shooter/RPG would certainly give people a certain expectation about a game before seeing it.

"Exploratory" games would, I would tend to believe, fall under adventure genre. That very link you gave said it was first-person survival adventure game. Game certainly does sound interesting though and I voted for it on greenlight.

How about THIS? Where do 'exploratory' games go?

Oh my lord... that game looks totally amazing, made by two brothers is the biggest thing, FROM SCRATCH engine and all. holy crap /nerd rant over

But yes, i agree that the categories are not subdivided enough.

Oh my lord... that game looks totally amazing, made by two brothers is the biggest thing, FROM SCRATCH engine and all. holy crap /nerd rant over

Yup. I'm nearly foaming at the mouth for this game. New engine? Yes please. I have a disease and I need to actually explore the island for a cure and not have some stupid hack n slash monsters sitting at every corner as a distraction? I can do so 'at my own pace'? Hmmm... we'll see.

I'm just hoping that it comes out before mid terms or some other convenient time that is kinda... not every day after today -_- Whyyyy did I think 18 credits would be okay? ;_;

ugh, 18? i'm taking 14 and i think it's far too much ( then again, i have a job too so :/)

ugh, 18? i'm taking 14 and i think it's far too much ( then again, i have a job too so :/)

Yup. I'm nearly foaming at the mouth for this game. New engine? Yes please. I have a disease and I need to actually explore the island for a cure and not have some stupid hack n slash monsters sitting at every corner as a distraction? I can do so 'at my own pace'? Hmmm... we'll see.

I'm just hoping that it comes out before mid terms or some other convenient time that is kinda... not every day after today -_- Whyyyy did I think 18 credits would be okay? ;_;

I have no idea how uni works in the us O.O

I am taking 120 credits, but I suspect that is very different (either that or all Scottish students have super powers ! :P)

I do 6 classes (sometimes more if they are small) a year for 5 years (just going into my 3rd year btw) and that will net me one of the best degrees there is. (MEng, so it's only one "level" below a PHD)

I have no idea how uni works in the us O.O

I am taking 120 credits, but I suspect that is very different (either that or all Scottish students have super powers ! :P)

I do 6 classes (sometimes more if they are small) a year for 5 years (just going into my 3rd year btw) and that will net me one of the best degrees there is. (MEng, so it's only one "level" below a PHD)

Credits in the US (I think) are based on how many hours the lectures take in a week, roughly.

For example, I'm taking a 5 credit class that is about an hour long for four days a week plus a 'lab day' that lasts an hour.

I'm also taking a 3 credit class that meets twice a week and lasts for an hour and a half.

I currently have 5 classes, but one of those classes I go to every single day instead of twice a week. It's.... very confusing sometimes. :(

Credits in the US (I think) are based on how many hours the lectures take in a week, roughly.

For example, I'm taking a 5 credit class that is about an hour long for four days a week plus a 'lab day' that lasts an hour.

I'm also taking a 3 credit class that meets twice a week and lasts for an hour and a half.

I currently have 5 classes, but one of those classes I go to every single day instead of twice a week. It's.... very confusing sometimes. :(

I see :P

Man, I feel like my uni must be easy because I had like 1/3 attendance last year and I got 62% :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0