Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Scooterdanny

Direct use of all metals for tools etc

106 posts in this topic

So everyone in America who either isn't a scientist or engineer, or doesn't use metric as their mesurement system is an idiot?

Well, its good to have these things cleared up. Silly me, here I thought it was because when your driving dow the highway it say tp miles to such and such city and not kilometers.

Dispite what a buch of superiority complex self proclaimed "smart" people think, the reason we use imperial is because it is the standard. If the government switched the system, all the signs, all the teaching to be metric it wouldn't be but a few years until it was just used by default.

By the way, Einstein wasn't a Dr. or a scientist or an engineer, and I bet he would smart person all of you into a headach. Might want to get off thinking a title makes you superior other than haveing the specific knowledge it has provided you.

I'm not saying that non-scientist americans are too stupid to switch to metric. I'm saying that non-scientist americans ARE stupid for NOT switching to metric. If we did, and the government actually replaced the signposts and let people adjust for a year of two, things would go so much smoother.

And while we're at it, add fucking roundabouts!! A few american cities added roundabouts and removed the majority of traffic signs from their streets, and you know what? Accident rates dropped by, like, 3 quarters! It was insane!

And you know why? Because when you're not being led around by the nose all the time, you actually drive more fucking carefully

because pretty much all weapons that you swing have some manner of crushing damage

It all depends on how the force of the impact is distributed. A small point qualifies as "piercing" while a narrow edge that separates materialls is cutting, and the wide-area is blunt force trauma.

For the most part, this depends on the armor (or lack thereof) being worn, however some weapons (primarily the crossbow bolt) rarely fall into a second category, as their job is to hit the target, pass through, and keep going (do a google search on the Porcupine Seige Engine;* it was a crossbow that fired a hundred bolts and had to be drawn back by a team of horses. It was not uncommon for a single projectile to pass through four or more people, even through armor).

Other weapons are designed to do crushing damage, like the mace. Although flanges and spikes were added to aid in penetrating armor, but it was a weapon designed to crush bones and shatter skulls.

*They weren't very common, and still to this day I have trouble locating images.

snip

What would make the transition much smoother, is putting duplicate conversion as well as the original for a long time period, so as to let people easily, and naturally adjust.

Ie, Sign says X Mph, and Y KPH

Edited by Scooterdanny

What would make the transition much smoother, is putting duplicate conversion as well as the original for a long time period, so as to let people easily, and naturally adjust.

Ie, Sign says X Mph, and Y KPH

They tried doing that to us when I was in elementary school; e.g. teach us both systems by having both sets of units available. And suffice to say...didn't work. How far a kilometer is still eludes me.

They tried doing that to us when I was in elementary school; e.g. teach us both systems by having both sets of units available. And suffice to say...didn't work. How far a kilometer is still eludes me.

A kilometer is 1000 meters. one mile is ~1.6 kilometers(1609meters). The funny thing is, there is a thing in Sweden called "mil" which is 10 kilometers(10000 meters), and when translated is called a mile(this is however not an SI unit, and only exists in sweden and norway by that name/size combination as far as I know.)

A kilometer is 1000 meters. one mile is ~1.6 kilometers(1609meters)

I know that a kilometer is 1000 meters, that isn't what I meant. I mean as a conceptual unit the distance of "1 kilometer" doesn't have any meaning, not like the innate understanding I have of how far a mile is.

I admire the ability of this forum to change argument in a topic...

However, waht I think is that Americans are not totally indipendent from england if they still use the imperial system. The metric one is more convenient. It creates less headaches and suicides.

However, waht I think is that Americans are not totally indipendent from england if they still use the imperial system.

Nah, that opinion is a fairly small portion of the population. A lot of people, oh, 18 to 35 are just too used to the imperial system and don't want to change, and the school system is no longer teaching the metric system under the pretense of "we're all going to switch over some day, so you'd better know it!" It's now just used in science class with the note that "we're the only country that uses the imperial system, but science works better in metric."

At least, that's my observation, as as soon as I entered jr. high, the whole mentality of "the US is going to start using the metric system soon" vanished.

But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if some elements of the Republican party do think that way (e.g. by using the metric system we stop being independent).

A kilometer is 1000 meters. one mile is ~1.6 kilometers(1609meters). The funny thing is, there is a thing in Sweden called "mil" which is 10 kilometers(10000 meters), and when translated is called a mile(this is however not an SI unit, and only exists in sweden and norway by that name/size combination as far as I know.)

Another funny fact? "mil" in spanish means 1000 :P

Another funny fact? "mil" in spanish means 1000 :P

And from croatian it means million. What a coincidence.

But wait...from estonia it means when. That's what the google translate says.

And from irish=Honey :angry: I hate the honey!

wow, it's the million means word ._.

Exactly

Mil just means thousand. Like a MILlennium, It comes from Latin Mile = thousand.

I'm not saying that non-scientist americans are too stupid to switch to metric. I'm saying that non-scientist americans ARE stupid for NOT switching to metric. If we did, and the government actually replaced the signposts and let people adjust for a year of two, things would go so much smoother.

And while we're at it, add fucking roundabouts!! A few american cities added roundabouts and removed the majority of traffic signs from their streets, and you know what? Accident rates dropped by, like, 3 quarters! It was insane!

And you know why? Because when you're not being led around by the nose all the time, you actually drive more fucking carefully

When I first started driving, I hated roundabouts. Now, I hate idiots who don't understand right-of-way on roundabouts.(Example, an idiot in a blue Ford who stopped in the middle of a roundabout, to let the driver on his RIGHT go) As a bicycle rider, I have a love-hate relationship with roundabouts. I love that I can just cross whenever it's safe, rather than waiting for a light to change. I hate that every driver seems to think they are far, far more important than me and why should they stop so I can go? So yeah. Love-hate. And I live in the suburbs, where there are a good amount of both right where my neighborhood is.

Another big point in favor of roundabouts is that if the power goes out, they keep working. So yeah. Put me down in favor of roundabouts, even if they drive starting drivers nuts.

-snip-

But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if some elements of the Republican party do think that way (e.g. by using the metric system we stop being independent).

Dude. The Democrats have their share of old idiots too. Otherwise, if the Republicans were the only problem in switching to Metric, President Obama and his rubber-stamp Congress would have switched us over back in '08.

Apologies for the double post.

P.S. @JAG : mil is a latin prefix meaning 1000. milli is a latin prefix meaning .001, cent is 100, centi is .01, and then the latin prefixes go crazy. (giga and nano, Tera and femto, etc.)

P.S. @JAG : mil is a latin prefix meaning 1000. milli is a latin prefix meaning .001, cent is 100, centi is .01, and then the latin prefixes go crazy. (giga and nano, Tera and femto, etc.)

Mil just means thousand. Like a MILlennium, It comes from Latin Mile = thousand.

I know that -or at least i knew them all except for femto, lol-, i'm just saying that, in spanish, the language i have been speaking since i can remember, "mil" means "thousand". Really can't see why the corrections... :

And i'm not trying to be aggresive here, by the way, but this i just wrote is the closest i could get to what i meant to say...

I know that -or at least i knew them all except for femto, lol-, i'm just saying that, in spanish, the language i have been speaking since i can remember, "mil" means "thousand". Really can't see why the corrections... :

And i'm not trying to be aggresive here, by the way, but this i just wrote is the closest i could get to what i meant to say...

Wasn't correcting you, just adding for the others who may not know. Probably shouldn't have added @JAG, sorry. Meant it as an addenum.

Dude. The Democrats have their share of old idiots too. Otherwise, if the Republicans were the only problem in switching to Metric, President Obama and his rubber-stamp Congress would have switched us over back in '08.

You miss the half of my post about younger people who don't want to switch because "its the way we've always done it"?

You miss the half of my post about younger people who don't want to switch because "its the way we've always done it"?

Oh those are easy. They're the people who were failed by the educational system (As in, the educational system failed to educate them, not they were such crappy students they failed out.), or they spend too much time listening to the old people, or they're just traditionalists, and you know what? I can respect that.

Also, I cannot get comfortable with Celsius temperatures for the life of me.

Like I said, once I hit jr. high, they stopped trying to teach us the metric system. I don't know why.

Like I said, once I hit jr. high, they stopped trying to teach us the metric system. I don't know why.

Screwed-up educational system? or maybe it got something right, and realized that it's going to be a really long time before US switches to metric, so might as well let you use what you're going to use in the real world?

That said, anyone have a good system for comparing Celsius to Farenheit? Specifically, these temperatures:

60F, 70F, 80F, 90F.

60F, 70F, 80F, 90F.

15, 20, 25, and 30.

Those values are close enough (90F is actually 32C, but hey).

, so might as well let you use what you're going to use in the real world?

you do know that the rest of "the real world" uses the metric system right?

you do know that the rest of "the real world" uses the metric system right?

GAWD DAMN IT, MAH SODAH COMES IN "LEETTER" BOTTLES!

</irony>