Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zandorum

Glass Blowing

64 posts in this topic

Glass Blowing:

I dont know how to to large topic ideas so this is going to be a wall. Glass blowing will be the only way to get glass items,

If you have sand you can heat it up and turn its head to "Molten" which is when you can right click with your Glass Blowing Pipe

which is made out of what ever you choose and it will open up a GUI where you can put it in and it will be like a extremely shortened

anvil minigame due to the fact that its heat will go down and once it does its permenant unless you reheat it and you lose all work done

on it. Glass Blocks, Bottles, Panes and Etc. are made through this and its the only way to make it. Dependant on what it is you will require

more or less Molten sand (9 slot Storage for Materials in this). Once you close the GUI it will throw all the items in the gui onto the ground for you to

pick back up or you could just put them back into your inventory after your done making things your choice.

Mmh, not sure if suggested before, but if not, i like it.

hmm this would make glass bottles and that kinda suff much more beleivable

much better than "mash 3 peices of glass together, get 4 bottles"

and a suggestion, make a new paragraph for every new idea so it's easier for us to read

Bioxx alreay said that he was thinking on a more proper way to craft glass, so it won't stay as it is

Nice idea, though I'd like to see it fleshed out a bit more

How are glass blowing pipes crafted?

What's the process for blowing glass? Minigame? Drop-down menu? Gui?

Why isn't soda ash required?

These are details that separate okay posts from Jed-tier posts

I like this idea, glass blowing IRL is pretty cool and if it were done right could be very cool in tfc. Also, If this were made hard enough to do, it would greatly advance the idea of specialties and professions that's been floating around recently. On a final note, what kind of useful items would this yield? glass bottles don't have much of a use right now, because, well, potions have been pretty much turned into a useless, crippled system.

Unless you like making useless potions, I guess that's cool too.

I like this idea, glass blowing IRL is pretty cool and if it were done right could be very cool in tfc. Also, If this were made hard enough to do, it would greatly advance the idea of specialties and professions that's been floating around recently. On a final note, what kind of useful items would this yield? glass bottles don't have much of a use right now, because, well, potions have been pretty much turned into a useless, crippled system.

Unless you like making useless potions, I guess that's cool too.

Glass Blocks, Glass Panes.

neither of those are "blown" in the real world, at least i don't think so. Glass blowing is to make things with a cavity like a vase or a drinking glass, not a sheet of glass, or a solid fucking meter cube of the stuff, unless of course, it was hollow. but i don't think it would be.

Glass Blowing:

I dont know how to to large topic ideas so this is going to be a wall. Glass blowing will be the only way to get glass items,

If you have sand you can heat it up and turn its head to "Molten" which is when you can right click with your Glass Blowing Pipe

which is made out of what ever you choose and it will open up a GUI where you can put it in and it will be like a extremely shortened

anvil minigame due to the fact that its heat will go down and once it does its permenant unless you reheat it and you lose all work done

on it. Glass Blocks, Bottles, Panes and Etc. are made through this and its the only way to make it. Dependant on what it is you will require

more or less Molten sand (9 slot Storage for Materials in this). Once you close the GUI it will throw all the items in the gui onto the ground for you to

pick back up or you could just put them back into your inventory after your done making things your choice.

I really like this. We need an improvement in the glass creation!

+1

I really like this. We need an improvement in the glass creation!

+1

hey there wolfy, howsabout next time instead of making a reply, just hit that litle blue button at the corner of the topic to show your appreciation

and welcome to the TFC forums!!

Nice idea, though I'd like to see it fleshed out a bit more

1:How are glass blowing pipes crafted?

2:What's the process for blowing glass? Minigame? Drop-down menu? Gui?

3:Why isn't soda ash required?

These are details that separate okay posts from Jed-tier posts

Let's see...

1:At first i was about to say "a tube out of, about, any metal?". Then i thought "What's sand...? crushed rocks, practically.". With this in mind, the answer changes, because the tube then needs to be made of a metal which won't melt because of the molten glass. So, what's the temperature of molten glass? The glass becomes liquid at, about, 1500ºC, mostly depending on it's composition. So, most of the tiers just can't hold this temperatures, except those better than Iron (as iron melts at 1539ºC, it would even become workable, but won't melt if you used the correct kind of glass). So, the tube should be made out of steels. And about the how to craft it, the only thing that i can think of are casted tubes, as something like a tube could be quite hard to forge... So, at least for this, the only option i see is to add casting. The mold for the tube could be made with clay and heated into ceramic, as it -at least in game- already supports the melted steel temperatures. If carpentery is ever added, you could take a big branch, give it the form of the tube, create a mold of it with clay, turn the clay into ceramic and you get a tube ceramic mold. Place something in the middle of the mold -a clay-stick you make separately and place inside the mold before cooking it, maybe?- so the metal doesn't fill that space. Then, take some melted unshaped -insert a steel name here-, and craft them with the mold in an unshaped recipe, so you get, after the metal cooled down, a -insert used steel name here- glass-blowing tube.

2: The process should be a minigame, at least IMO. On the how this game is, i have no idea :P but there are enought systems people try to make exactly like forging is in TFC.

3: I agree with this, soda ash is one of the important ingredients of sand. Or at least that's what i have found, searching in google.

Just a try to make this thread a little better :P

EDIT: lol, Srg posted at the same exact time i did <_< are you following me?

Ceramics could be utilized to make a glass blowing pipe, as in many cases, they have enormous heat resistance. (structural integrity remains when at high temperatures) One would not need Stainless steel, as is used today. A cursorary glance at wikipedia shows that clay pipes 30-60 cm were commonly used due to the availability and ease of use.

Ceramics could be utilized to make a glass blowing pipe, as in many cases, they have enormous heat resistance. (structural integrity remains when at high temperatures) One would not need Stainless steel, as is used today. A cursorary glance at wikipedia shows that clay pipes 30-60 cm were commonly used due to the availability and ease of use.

okay.... then most of what i wrote up there becomes useless ._.

happy now?

happy now?

yep

ah that reminds me of Peffern, where is that guy i feel a need to drain all the joy from his life some more

happy now?

Quite :]

But it is true that steel improves the use in certain aspects of glass blowing, maybe make the glass semi opaque when clay is used, but a mold and steel pipe could be used to make clear glass.

Quite :]

But it is true that steel improves the use in certain aspects of glass blowing, maybe make the glass semi opaque when clay is used, but a mold and steel pipe could be used to make clear glass.

maybe steel-blown glass would be easier to see through, none of those annoying shinies on it

cuz i personally hate the glass texture in minsraft right now

I really don't think we need this. Bottles are currently useless, and there are no other items you would make through glassblowing.

Also, have I told you lately, Srg, that you're awesome?

I really don't think we need this. Bottles are currently useless, and there are no other items you would make through glassblowing.

Also, have I told you lately, Srg, that you're awesome?

no, you havn't

and have i told you recently, that you are awesome

ps. love the new pictcha

-snigger- doctor whooves-

Oi, doctor whooves is singularly the best character on that show :I on a related note, opacity is how not-see-throughy an object is, so a slightly more opaque glass would have visible errors due to the flux in it, as well as the glass not cooling uniformly. it think making glass like this is much more believable than throwing a meter of sand in a forge and getting a perfect meter^3 back. Maybe have a system like metalurgy? where you have a glass table, ( or the M Table) where you can pour glass into certain shapes, which is similar to the actual method (well moreso than vanilla anywho)

Woo, awesomeparty! It's a party about awesome!

Let's see...

1:At first i was about to say "a tube out of, about, any metal?". Then i thought "What's sand...? crushed rocks, practically.". With this in mind, the answer changes, because the tube then needs to be made of a metal which won't melt because of the molten glass. So, what's the temperature of molten glass? The glass becomes liquid at, about, 1500ºC, mostly depending on it's composition. So, most of the tiers just can't hold this temperatures, except those better than Iron (as iron melts at 1539ºC, it would even become workable, but won't melt if you used the correct kind of glass). So, the tube should be made out of steels. And about the how to craft it, the only thing that i can think of are casted tubes, as something like a tube could be quite hard to forge... So, at least for this, the only option i see is to add casting. The mold for the tube could be made with clay and heated into ceramic, as it -at least in game- already supports the melted steel temperatures. If carpentery is ever added, you could take a big branch, give it the form of the tube, create a mold of it with clay, turn the clay into ceramic and you get a tube ceramic mold. Place something in the middle of the mold -a clay-stick you make separately and place inside the mold before cooking it, maybe?- so the metal doesn't fill that space. Then, take some melted unshaped -insert a steel name here-, and craft them with the mold in an unshaped recipe, so you get, after the metal cooled down, a -insert used steel name here- glass-blowing tube.

2: The process should be a minigame, at least IMO. On the how this game is, i have no idea :P but there are enought systems people try to make exactly like forging is in TFC.

3: I agree with this, soda ash is one of the important ingredients of sand. Or at least that's what i have found, searching in google.

Just a try to make this thread a little better :P

EDIT: lol, Srg posted at the same exact time i did <_< are you following me?

has casting already been suggested ? if so any posts still active?

if not i ll do a thread on early teir metal casting as your don't forge a bronze tool irl you have to cast it.

sorry for going off topic.

why not have mercury added and used to "float" the molten glass on to get a flat surface ?

maybe steel-blown glass would be easier to see through, none of those annoying shinies on it

cuz i personally hate the glass texture in minsraft right now

clay blown glass is normal, steel-blown glass uses connected textures. Bam.

Im not sure about that Eternal, I dont really like that Concept.

clay blown glass is normal, steel-blown glass uses connected textures. Bam.

eh but still it has those thinies in he middle, how bout it has just the borders but nothing in the middle to block your veiw

eh but still it has those thinies in he middle, how bout it has just the borders but nothing in the middle to block your veiw

I was thinking like the glass from gerudoku texpack

Posted Image

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0