Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zandorum

Glass Blowing

64 posts in this topic

I was thinking like the glass from gerudoku texpack

Posted Image

well, that sir, would be an excellent example of wood-bordered glass

Maybe a combo of both? the opacity + no connections on clay blown, clear + no borders on steel blown, would make a reason to use it... i sitll think the glass should be very flawed at first, large quantities of glass were worth their weight in gold... maybe more.

well, that sir, would be an excellent example of wood-bordered glass

...have you noticed that that's a 2x2 window and not one block?

hey there wolfy, howsabout next time instead of making a reply, just hit that litle blue button at the corner of the topic to show your appreciation

and welcome to the TFC forums!!

Thank you! Then you want a +1? Here you are! :D

Thank you! Then you want a +1? Here you are! :D

No, no, like this. (clicks the "like this button on a post")

No, no, like this. (clicks the "like this button on a post")

Yes, I clicked it, but I adviced srgnoodles of this.

Eternal could you please leave my topic?

At the point of fleshing this out, the other thing that would be nice if they could expand into is colored glass panes.

I'm not sure how others view this mod, but aside from the obvious increase in difficulty in survival is also the ability to design and build amazing diverse constructions in terms of shapes and colors. Colored glass would let us take this a step further whether it be to add blood red windows to an evil fortress, or stained glass windows to a massive cathedral.

The other benefit to this is, this provides a reason to keep digging, and keep finding new deposits, as a huge variety of different materials can be used to color glass to different colors and shades. Random page I found:

http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/articles/glasscolouring.html

Since pitchblende is a uranium ore, it's edges would likely be oxidized, and we could use Uranium oxide to make glow in the dark glass! (pointless, just felt like contributing something interesting)

... He isn't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to ask him to leave a topic you started. just because he approaches ignorance with disdain (sometimes) doesn't mean you need a vendetta against the guy :/

... He isn't doing anything wrong, you have no reason to ask him to leave a topic you started. just because he approaches ignorance with disdain (sometimes) doesn't mean you need a vendetta against the guy :/

yeah : he is even helping out to this topic... why you want him out?

I believe it's because he got into an argument with eternal in another topic, but I digress.

As for bottles, I'm sure that bioxx and dunk will eventually add some other system or profession that requires small containers for liquids.

You may have started the topic, but that doesn't make it "yours", you aren't some kind of master of this threads direction and you certainly don't have the right to arbitrarily shoot down ideas you don't like. just because eternal suggested something that you don't like (you didn't even explain why either) doesn't give you any sort of right to ask him to leave. Leave it to the mods/admins if someone is doing something wrong, but seriously, eternal did nothing to degrade the thread, he actually helped it.

sorry to throw any proverbial gas on the fire, but I just needed to say this.

I've actually had some, not much, experience with glass working in the past and I've also been doing some research to make a similar suggestion, so here are my thoughts on the topic.

First, the pipe used shouldn't have an effect on the opacity of glass. Frosted glass is made by treating glass after it's cooled by either sand-blasting or treating it with acid. Milky glass which is a solid color is obtained through the use of certain additives to the glass. Instead if a steel pipe were made it should make the process of working the glass easier as it would be able to be lighter, my reasoning for this being that the clay can't be worked as thin as metal and still be able to hold glass on the end. A narrower mouthpiece also makes it easier to blow a powerful stream of air into the glass.

As for the working of the glass itself, currently three furnaces are involved in the entire process, one where a crucible of melted glass is stored, one at a lower temperature, and the last to cool the glass slowly over a period of hours/days to prevent the glass from cracking under a more rapid cooling process. The roman style was one furnace with cooler chambers off of it that had these functions. This could be made similar to the bloomery, except instead of building up it is built sideways to allow for these extra chambers. The cooling chamber could act as a chest except instead of cooling 3x faster it could accept only finished glass items and cool them at 1/3 the speed. The crucible and reheating furnaces could have a joint gui as the reheating funace uses the heat from the crucible furnace to function, making the crucible the only place that coal would be added for the process. Glass doesn't need to be as exact as forging as it is for decoration instead of tools/armor. Glass work has fairly few things that should need to be done to create a piece, gathering, the process of dipping it in the crucible to get more glass added, blowing to add air into the piece, blocking, using a wooden block soaked in water to round the piece, cutting to remove the piece from the blowpipe to either cool or move onto a punty rod, and widening which is putting closed jacks (sort of a cross between tweezers and shears) into a blown piece on a punty rod and slowly opening them to widen the opening from a small hole into the top of a bowl or whatever is being made. Instead of having a rough area with certain finishers to create a piece of glass it should be a general recipe to produce the piece of glass that is being made always starting with a gather to get the starting glass and ending with a cut to remove the piece. For example a bottle would be gather, blow, gather blow, blow, cut and then placed in the cooling furnace (the annealer). Glass panes were made by blowing a cylinder and then cutting it and flattening it. Glass blocks could be made by having molds that the crucible empties into, allowing for a fast method to obtain glass for building, but if someone wants glass panes they should be required to work to create them or if playing in smp buy them from someone else.

Instead of just sand being melted down to create glass, flux should also be added. The reason I say flux is because it is made of either borax (sodium borate) or limestone, chalk, dolomite, and marble (all a form of Calcium Carbonate), the most uses additives for glass are soda (Sodium carbonate) and lime (Calcium Carbonate) which can be assume to exist in the rocks used to make flux. If colored glass is added, ores could be added to the glass as most ores that aren't native are an oxide or sulfide both of which are used to color glass. A glass made with just flux and sand should have a yellowish color to it from the sulfur impurities of the coal that is used to melt down the mixture. Saltpeter could be added to create clear glass as it is historically used as an additive to remove the coloring caused by coal. I don't mention the use of charcoal as it burns at a lower temperature than coal and because the impurities coal adds to glass can be counteracted in glass there is no reason to use charcoal along with coal but instead a motivation to find saltpeter if you don't want your glass to turn out yellow. Side note: Colored glass does not mean that the light would be tinted, it just means that the glass would be colored, to get colored light a full rework of the minecraft light code would need to happen.

TL;DR I suggest a complex system (possibly a little too complex) of glassworking and how colored glass could be made using materials that already exist in tfc.

...have you noticed that that's a 2x2 window and not one block?

yes i have, but i was trying to suggest some form of wood bordered glass for windows

one does not simply ask an Eternal to leave

Aaaahhahhahahahahohwaityouwereserious

how sad

yes i have, but i was trying to suggest some form of wood bordered glass for windows

one does not simply ask an Eternal to leave

crossed panes are already in my tiny tweaks thread

Also, lol bioxx having 9001 posts

TL;DR I suggest a complex system (possibly a little too complex) of glassworking and how colored glass could be made using materials that already exist in tfc.

This sounds quite nice... but, if we are adding a great complication to the process of glassworking, we should as well add more glass items and blocks. Right now, what we can make with glass? windows, more thin windows -which look like crap if placed as a roof -__- - and bottles -which are useless in TFC-. What could we make with glass? A whole lot of things, some of which will surely be really useful for the time period TFC seems to be in. With the glass as of right now, all this you have said makes no sense, is adding lots of tediousness for 2 blocks and an useless item.

What could we make with glass? A whole lot of things, some of which will surely be really useful for the time period TFC seems to be in.

Steam-punk goggles. 'Nuff said.

But realistically, Things like Alembics, retorts, and other experimental equipment could be produced, to make an alchemichal station, in which you could create things like Gunpowder (when creepers are moved) Greek Fire, and maybe some tonics, like Laudanum, which could reduce damage done to the player, instead of something that magically puts you back together within seconds XD

I see them being useful in also making...... Spyglasses! this would basically just zoom in, much like the optifine zoom, but with a ui, and less of a cheaty feel.

Stained glass windows with reliefs of mobs/landscapes. (this would go perfectly with my faction that worships pumpkins)

Containers, like jars are possible to construct out of glass, And preserve things Much better, than say wood.

Lanterns, (Surprising nobody said this before)

Fulgerites, a natural phenomenon, can cause obsidian, if they strike stone, which could allow for obsidian knives.

And finally, just plain decoration, there is a myriad of possibilities to be done with glass, from dishes, to pots, to bowls, to jewelry.

Edited by Scooterdanny

But realistically, Things like Alembics, retorts, and other experimental equipment could be produced, to make an alchemichal station, in which you could create things like Gunpowder (when creepers are moved) Greek Fire, and maybe some tonics, like Laudanum, which could reduce damage done to the player, instead of something that magically puts you back together within seconds XD

I see them being useful in also making...... Spyglasses! this would basically just zoom in, much like the optifine zoom, but with a ui, and less of a cheaty feel.

Stained glass windows with reliefs of mobs/landscapes. (this would go perfectly with my faction that worships pumpkins)

Containers, like jars are possible to construct out of glass, And preserve things Much better, than say wood.

Fulgerites, a natural phenomenon, can cause obsidian, if they strike glass, which could allow for obsidian knives.

And finally, just plain decoration, there is a myriad of possibilities to be done with glass, from dishes, to pots, to bowls, to jewelry.

oh my god i love yo so much right now

BIOXX YOU BETTER GET YOUR CODING HAT ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fulgerites, a natural phenomenon, can cause obsidian, if they strike glass, which could allow for obsidian knives.

... *press the like button countless times*

oh my god i love yo so much right now

BIOXX YOU BETTER GET YOUR CODING HAT ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, i try.

... *press the like button countless times*

Countless? i count 33, YOU DIDN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH XD

Haha, i try.

challenge accepted -cracks knuckles-

*clickityclickityclicketyclicketyclicketyclickety*

Before we work on a glassblowing system, different types of glass objects should be added first.

Haha, i try.

Meh, too lazy to click countless times, i'm just clicking another 17 times and that's it -o- happy?

EDIT: lol, i actually went derping while clicking somehow O_o i don't know how many times i clicked that...

Before we work on a glassblowing system, different types of glass objects should be added first.

um

Fulgerites, a natural phenomenon, can cause obsidian, if they strike stone, which could allow for obsidian knives.

um

I say, you mean to tell me that in the time since that post was made, the devs have implemented all those different types of glass!

What fabulously fast programming!

I shall now put my trust in you and ignore the changelog that says nothing about glass.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0