Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zandorum

Glass Blowing

64 posts in this topic

Steam-punk goggles. 'Nuff said.

But realistically, Things like Alembics, retorts, and other experimental equipment could be produced, to make an alchemichal station, in which you could create things like Gunpowder (when creepers are moved) Greek Fire, and maybe some tonics, like Laudanum, which could reduce damage done to the player, instead of something that magically puts you back together within seconds XD

I see them being useful in also making...... Spyglasses! this would basically just zoom in, much like the optifine zoom, but with a ui, and less of a cheaty feel.

Stained glass windows with reliefs of mobs/landscapes. (this would go perfectly with my faction that worships pumpkins)

Containers, like jars are possible to construct out of glass, And preserve things Much better, than say wood.

Lanterns, (Surprising nobody said this before)

Fulgerites, a natural phenomenon, can cause obsidian, if they strike stone, which could allow for obsidian knives.

And finally, just plain decoration, there is a myriad of possibilities to be done with glass, from dishes, to pots, to bowls, to jewelry.

-jerks off on your post-

OH GODS

Ahahaha, wow, it wasn't that good of a post was it? O.o

I say, you mean to tell me that in the time since that post was made, the devs have implemented all those different types of glass!

What fabulously fast programming!

I shall now put my trust in you and ignore the changelog that says nothing about glass.

sigh well we have no glass atm so instead of waiting untill the devs decide by themselves to add glass, i thought i would let the topic continue by using the suggested items as examples

sigh well we have no glass atm so instead of waiting untill the devs decide by themselves to add glass, i thought i would let the topic continue by using the suggested items as examples

I don't think we need to continue. The devs are already fixing glass (the new sand actually has a heat gauge), and it's safe to assume that it's on their to-do list. Right, Dunk?

Dunk (Who's totally typing right now, nope, he's not me): Of course!

TL;DR I suggest a complex system (possibly a little too complex) of glassworking and how colored glass could be made using materials that already exist in tfc.

To get back on topic and provide some actual content, here's my take on this idea.

Let's say you make a block for a glass furnace:

Posted Image

1- this is where your fuel goes, pretty self explanatory and works like the firepit, except you can also use coal if you don't want to sit there forever waiting for your stuff to melt.

2- this is an optional idea, wood burning could produce ash in the output slot where the slag used to go in the firepit, (could even re use the sprite) which has other uses detailed later

3- this is where your sand goes, any sand would work.

4- an optional idea, ash could be refined into potash in a metal cauldron (perhaps going along with the hearth idea somebody else had, this would make glass copper age technology though) Potash has additional uses as fertilizer. (actually its primary use nowadays)

5- limestone, marble, dolomite, as detailed in ejzzje's post, for your lime. Or we could just use the already existing flux item, as it's pretty much the same stuff (Though I don't know if you can make glass with borax?) Adding a peice of ore here would change the color of the glass as well.

6- your blob of glass. When the ingredients get hot enough, they render down into this. It's essentially useless by itself, like a metal ingot.

7- anvil style interface, but instead of using an already hot ingot it just uses the blob that we just made from raw materials. This would give the scribing table an additional use, especially if glass is a later tier tech. There's no margin of error, as there wouldn't be a durability on items like tools have, so the drawback to not being able to hit the mark exactly would basically be wasted time (something TFcraft has you doing a lot)

8 - this would be the annealing chamber, where the hot glass items go to cool. your blob gets converted into this and moved here automatically. Glass items taken out too early would shatter into (semi)useless pieces.

9 - clear glass pane, made by adding galena to the melt. Other objects like a glass cauldron or a placeable jar to hold water in your house with were some other ideas I had, more decorative items would be nice.

10- light red pane, made by adding copper. Ideally we could have colored glass with alpha transparency, I don't know how feasible that is though. I know other mods have done it in the past, so hopefully it isn't impossible.

11- broken glass, gotten from taking an item out of the furnace too soon, or possibly by breaking other glass items with a hammer. This can go in the input slot and get recycled into another blob.

A few tweaks I'd like to see:

- Breaking glass panes drops the damn item instead of it vaporizing. This is a really irritating 'feature' from vanilla, and there's basically no gameplay reason for it. It exists solely to annoy the player in case they mis-click. Breaking it with a tool could yield the broken glass item as well. For anybody who argues "hurr durr glass breaks realism;" if you're going that route, glass is essentially infinitely recyclable, you just use fuel to melt it back down again.

- Glass with proper alpha transparency instead of binary like it is now, as detailed above

- Glass bottles placeable as an actual object (kind of like Terraria). With real alpha transparency you could just use the same texture as glass panes for it. Something like this maybe: Posted Image

- More decorative glass items in general would be nice as well, jars, glasses, stuff like that. maybe even bowls and flatware? TFcraft has more decorative options than any other mod I know of, why stop at stone blocks? Obviously not a super high priority.

- with this system panes would be made as a single item, make a block from six of them.

- being able to place panes horizontally

As usual, I can provide any graphics for this.

To get back on topic and provide some actual content, here's my take on this idea.

Let's say you make a block for a glass furnace:

1- this is where your fuel goes, pretty self explanatory and works like the firepit, except you can also use coal if you don't want to sit there forever waiting for your stuff to melt.

2- this is an optional idea, wood burning could produce ash in the output slot where the slag used to go in the firepit, (could even re use the sprite) which has other uses detailed later

3- this is where your sand goes, any sand would work.

4- an optional idea, ash could be refined into potash in a metal cauldron (perhaps going along with the hearth idea somebody else had, this would make glass copper age technology though) Potash has additional uses as fertilizer. (actually its primary use nowadays)

5- limestone, marble, dolomite, as detailed in ejzzje's post, for your lime. Or we could just use the already existing flux item, as it's pretty much the same stuff (Though I don't know if you can make glass with borax?) Adding a peice of ore here would change the color of the glass as well.

6- your blob of glass. When the ingredients get hot enough, they render down into this. It's essentially useless by itself, like a metal ingot.

7- anvil style interface, but instead of using an already hot ingot it just uses the blob that we just made from raw materials. This would give the scribing table an additional use, especially if glass is a later tier tech. There's no margin of error, as there wouldn't be a durability on items like tools have, so the drawback to not being able to hit the mark exactly would basically be wasted time (something TFcraft has you doing a lot)

8 - this would be the annealing chamber, where the hot glass items go to cool. your blob gets converted into this and moved here automatically. Glass items taken out too early would shatter into (semi)useless pieces.

9 - clear glass pane, made by adding galena to the melt. Other objects like a glass cauldron or a placeable jar to hold water in your house with were some other ideas I had, more decorative items would be nice.

10- light red pane, made by adding copper. Ideally we could have colored glass with alpha transparency, I don't know how feasible that is though. I know other mods have done it in the past, so hopefully it isn't impossible.

11- broken glass, gotten from taking an item out of the furnace too soon, or possibly by breaking other glass items with a hammer. This can go in the input slot and get recycled into another blob.

A few tweaks I'd like to see:

- Breaking glass panes drops the damn item instead of it vaporizing. This is a really irritating 'feature' from vanilla, and there's basically no gameplay reason for it. It exists solely to annoy the player in case they mis-click. Breaking it with a tool could yield the broken glass item as well. For anybody who argues "hurr durr glass breaks realism;" if you're going that route, glass is essentially infinitely recyclable, you just use fuel to melt it back down again.

- Glass with proper alpha transparency instead of binary like it is now, as detailed above

- Glass bottles placeable as an actual object (kind of like Terraria). With real alpha transparency you could just use the same texture as glass panes for it. Something like this maybe:

- More decorative glass items in general would be nice as well, jars, glasses, stuff like that. maybe even bowls and flatware? TFcraft has more decorative options than any other mod I know of, why stop at stone blocks? Obviously not a super high priority.

- with this system panes would be made as a single item, make a block from six of them.

- being able to place panes horizontally

As usual, I can provide any graphics for this.

A like says one word, this picture says six.

Posted Image

OH YEAH! However, shittons of sand is no good for glassmaking (or makes a very low quality glass). Pearlash (made from ash) would also be useful as an alternative to a new rock type.

:D

Oh finally the best back on old topic! You gave a consistent idea about glass working.

Like I said on the IRC, I don't think glass needs to be reworked so hard

Like I said on the IRC, I don't think glass needs to be reworked so hard

NOOOOO!!! Glass MUST be rewritten into the hardest thing since prospecting! IT MUST!!!!

And if it doesn't, I'LL DIE!!

DUH! DUH! DUUUUH!

NOOOOO!!! Glass MUST be rewritten into the hardest thing since prospecting! IT MUST!!!!

DUH! DUH! DUUUUH!

make sure to leave all your money to bioxx and me in your will :)

DUH! DUH! DUUUUH!

He said "so hard" not "Glass isn't going to be reworked", then you can hope a bit :)

Besides Dunk vetoing a complete overhaul. We need to happy what we got here, however there is one thing that I will probably have to kill myself with 1SDAN if we don't get and that is the expansion of plans. We need more plans I may make a thread for this in fact.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0