Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abandoned mines

heap leach mining (get faster melting ores in exchange of a long wait)

39 posts in this topic

hi all

this was a simple yet interesting idea i had while in class a little while back

heap leaching

heap leaching involves metal ores such as copper, gold, silver and sphalerite.

metals a "leached" through rock in a slow yet effective acid bath technique. acid (or in some cases mercury) is poured on to the ores, which than (as it seeps its way through) picks micro amounts of metals.

the slurry that flows from the pile is than collected and compressed in the same form of presses that are used in wine making. the result is a material called "filter cake".

filter cake is than dried to a powder and sold to a smelter for melt down.

now i know what your thinking "ian this sounds to modern" "not happening" but hear me out.

heap leaching has been used for over 500 years as an effective way of getting metals form ore.

in European silver and copper mines it was the only way of extracting metals at an cheap rate.

theres evidence that states that heap leaching was done in ancient egypt and in rome.

heres my idea for how it could work in TF craft.

first ore would be stacked in block form (the same way wood is done) on a hill side.

next the ores are bathed in mercury or cyanide. as the liquid flows down the hill some of the ores are taken from the pile.

this could be done in a similar way as the sluice does.

the finite liquid that flows from the hill changes color from silver for mercury or red for cyanide to a deep brown.

the liquid is collected in a trench and is pressed and the remaining material would be dried over a fire place or forge.

the material is now ready to be thrown into a bloomery for smelting. metals that could be retrieved from the powder could be copper, silver, gold, lead, mercury and many more.

no more metal is produced than would have been produced through regular mining, only its easier / faster to melt and you have a better chance to gain other metals that you were looking for.

for example you could have been mining a galena vein and from the process you could gain a limited amount of gold or nickel from the process (depending on bed rock within area)

with this cinnabar ore could finally have its proper use (mercury ore)

mercury used in the process would have a medium chance of being recollected at the end of the process to be used again though more would be needed to properly work the process.

just some ideas take from them what you will

good day.

hi all

this was a simple yet interesting idea i had while in class a little while back

heap leaching

heap leaching involves metal ores such as copper, gold, silver and sphalerite.

metals a "leached" through rock in a slow yet effective acid bath technique. acid (or in some cases mercury) is poured on to the ores, which than (as it seeps its way through) picks micro amounts of metals.

the slurry that flows from the pile is than collected and compressed in the same form of presses that are used in wine making. the result is a material called "filter cake".

filter cake is than dried to a powder and sold to a smelter for melt down.

now i know what your thinking "ian this sounds to modern" "not happening" but hear me out.

heap leaching has been used for over 500 years as an effective way of getting metals form ore.

in European silver and copper mines it was the only way of extracting metals at an cheap rate.

theres evidence that states that heap leaching was done in ancient egypt and in rome.

heres my idea for how it could work in TF craft.

first ore would be stacked in block form (the same way wood is done) on a hill side.

next the ores are bathed in mercury or cyanide. as the liquid flows down the hill some of the ores are taken from the pile.

this could be done in a similar way as the sluice does.

the finite liquid that flows from the hill changes color from silver for mercury or red for cyanide to a deep brown.

the liquid is collected in a trench and is pressed and the remaining material would be dried over a fire place or forge.

the material is now ready to be thrown into a bloomery for smelting. metals that could be retrieved from the powder could be copper, silver, gold, lead, mercury and many more.

no more metal is produced than would have been produced through regular mining, only its easier / faster to melt and you have a better chance to gain other metals that you were looking for.

for example you could have been mining a galena vein and from the process you could gain a limited amount of gold or nickel from the process (depending on bed rock within area)

with this cinnabar ore could finally have its proper use (mercury ore)

mercury used in the process would have a medium chance of being recollected at the end of the process to be used again though more would be needed to properly work the process.

just some ideas take from them what you will

good day.

eghheeee... so...much...-explodes-

too complicated, does not want

-goes back to thinking of better explosives for mining use-

kehkehkehkehkeh

eghheeee... so...much...-explodes-

too complicated, does not want

kehkehkehkehkeh

hmm o well just ideas thats all

though it would be interesting to see mercury added to the game

kehkehkehkehkeh

STOP THE PRESSES! Anfo, (ammonium nitrate) was first synthesized in 1659 (17th century) and is a very slow explosive, great for use in mining, and the solution is quite simple.

As for leach mining.... Hmm... i would believe it, but would the devs?

Edit: Mercury Should be added, we need quicksilver (HG) to make amalgams!

STOP THE PRESSES! Anfo, (ammonium nitrate) was first synthesized in 1659 (17th century) and is a very slow explosive, great for use in mining, and the solution is quite simple.

As for leach mining.... Hmm... i would believe it, but would the devs?

Edit: Mercury Should be added, we need quicksilver (HG) to make amalgams!

lol i use AMFO 264 grade #3

its mostly bunker fuel oil with ammonium fertilizer

best explosive on the market though you do need good det cord or percussion cap to set it off.

lol i use AMFO 264 grade #3

its mostly bunker fuel oil with ammonium fertilizer

best explosive on the market though you do need good det cord or percussion cap to set it off.

Hmm.. what about things like thermite, or Magnesium? those burn sufficiently hot enough right? (aluminium was obtainable in late 1700's so a tiny amount wouldn't be too much of a stretch)

thermite it an ultra hot reactive agent.

it has the ability to cut though all but the hardest ceramics and can burn well below water.

it is not an explosive, but it could (and may have been) used in ancient war fare though what use would it have in TF craft?

sorry, i meant to use them as ingiters. flash powder could work too i suppose.

[thermite] is not an explosive, but it could (and may have been) used in ancient war fare though what use would it have in TF craft?

ermehgherd!

Thermite fight!!

maybe thermite could be used to create lava blocks out of rocks :D

thermite uses aluminium powder, while aluminium was worth a LOT more than gold, till like the late 19th century when they really established how to refine it into pure metal. And the classical thermite reaction was discovered in 1895 by Hans Goldschmidt. So no i think. ;)

(aluminium was obtainable in late 1700's so a tiny amount wouldn't be too much of a stretch)

So, you know, also pitchblende wasn't discovered until late 1800's but it's in it.

So, you know, also pitchblende wasn't discovered until late 1800's but it's in it.

Well it still EXISTED in the ground, we just didn't have a USE for it

funny thing, that...

Well it still EXISTED in the ground, we just didn't have a USE for it

funny thing, that...

Sounds like a good argument for Aluminum to me.

The problem with any decent amount of aluminium, is that it has to be chemically extracted, not just smelted like other ores.

The problem with any decent amount of aluminium, is that it has to be chemically extracted, not just smelted like other ores.

Isn't gypsum used as a flux to separate the aluminum from the oxygen?

Also, Any explosive adapted for mining in tfcraft = epic win.

aluminum is extracted from alumina ore which is a form of silica. this is done with massive electrical arc systems and is rather hard to explain

basically its good example of a modern mass producible metal but i don't think it fits with TF craft at the moment

thermite can be created with two other metals

i am not sure which though

any ideas ?

Electrolysis of the metal oxyde molten state is used to seperate aluminium from the oxygen.

So, no termite guys.

Maybe the Greeks Fire as early form of napalm will fit.

And also - this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus. Draw, draw, draw, bend, bend, bend...

And also - this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus. Draw, draw, draw, bend, bend, bend...

You couldn't have known this, but Bioxx said some time ago that there was to be no guns at all, even if they are period appropriate.

I've seen several mentions that once the core of the game is finished up with all the current plans, that there might be a later addition of mechanical and then industrial ages. Including wires and such, which i assume means electricity. At this stage then i could see aluminium being viable.

As far as heap leach mining, its kinda one of those meh why kinda scenarios. I'm pretty sure this method is used to extract the ores without disturbing the structure of the rock to much, so as to not create massive caverns underneath cities and landmarks and such that might then cave in and cause said city or landmark to then collapse. Now, if there was random fault-lines established with seismic activity which could trigger collapses and cave ins and so on, maybe this could be useful, but honestly the mining is fine how it stands. This method is just to complicated, and to involved to really have much use.

Also the run off from this is highly toxic and destructive to ecosystems, for instance here in Colorado they used mercury for a long time in the mines up in the mountains. Now all the lakes and ponds containing the gradual runoff from these mines are poisoned with mercury, enough so that eating a single fish out of these could get you mercury poisoning. I suppose a great possible side effect if this is given much development though, though as i said in my opinion mining is fine where it is.

Damn, you beat me to greek fire, you should go ahead and make a thread about greek/roman fire. as it was easily made within the time period. The chinese actually have quite a few weapons that were made years ago, like grenades, rockets, cho ko no, flamethrowers, and handcannons.

Damn, you beat me to greek fire, you should go ahead and make a thread about greek/roman fire. as it was easily made within the time period. The chinese actually have quite a few weapons that were made years ago, like grenades, rockets, cho ko no, flamethrowers, and handcannons.

cho ko no

Maybe i have played too much AoE, but... wasn't it "Chu Ko Nu"? ._.

Ah, yes it was Chu Ko Nu, repeating crossbows from asia. (i first heard about them from AOE too XD)

http://videos.howstu...ko-nu-video.htm

They were accessible, cheap, easy to build, and easy to use.

You couldn't have known this, but Bioxx said some time ago that there was to be no guns at all, even if they are period appropriate.

darn yknow i wouldve thought that in a world with exploding creepers stalking the lands, explosive based weaponry wouldve been discovered fairly early on

i guess we'll just have to focus on explosives for mining and stoof liek that

the finite liquid

And that is why it won't be implemented.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0