Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yubyub96

TerraFirmaCraft Building Overhaul

22 posts in this topic

Well whats TerraFirmaCraft about? i think its mostly for realism in minecraft and we cannot talk about such a thing without bringing up the 1mx1m walls that we've always used to make our houses in vanilla minecraft. so my idea its to have a wall like this:

[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][] [x] = material in a normal block or collision box

[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][] [0] =air or collision box-less space

[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][]

Vanilla Block ][][][ TerraFirmaCraft Blocks

this ones will be like 1/3 of a normal block but put verticaly so one can make thiner walls.

the crafting recipe will be like this:

[ o ][ o ][ o ] [ o ][ o ][ o ] s= saw

[ s ][ b ][ o ] = [ o ][ 3xWb ][ o ] b= block(Stone,cobble,wood,bricks,stone bricks,sandstone, or any mineral block)

[ o ][ o ][ o ] [ o ][ o ][ o ] 3xWb = three wall blocks, the ones above

Now this will give as it says above one Wb that will be put in the middle of the normal block like this [air ][Wb ][air ]

if its put in a crafting table like this it will change its position making it easier to be placed [][][][][][][][][[Normal block]

[ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[ o ][ o ][ o ]

[ o ][ o ][ Wb ]x=x[ air ][ air ][Wb]xxx[ Wb ][ o ][ o ]xx=x[Wb][ air ][air]xxx[ o ][ Wb ][ o ]xxx=x[ air ][Wb ][air ]

[ o ][ o ][ o ]xxx [Normal block]xxxx[ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxx[Normal block]xx [ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxx[Normal block]

this is something very simple (like an idea in modding i have no idea) idea, and it will give a lot of ascetics and realism enhancement, also making things placeable over half-steps (like beds, torches,etc) will give realistically looking houses

i will try to make more compensable images to explain my suggestion if someone request it

i have made an image to make my point clearer. and crysyn i tough of that as well but this wall block wont replace the old block, its just and addition if you wish to have better houses, and the water problem, well its just something i think we can live with.Heres the image:Posted Image

Edit: Another thing i would like to see its better building physics, if you had ever played KingArthurGold you will be familiarised with this physics. you have an squared building with 4 supports, one in each corner, if you destroy a corner support maybe that corner will fall maybe not(like a cave-in it has a randomnes) but if you destroy another one, the whole building will fall for sure, when it falls it will destroy 25%-35% of the blocks. also when you put cobble you should be abble to make supports but for buildings, just a bit thinner and if you put a support and above it cobble, it wont fall, and if you put 2 more cobblestone they wont fall, like this:

[xx][ok][ok][be][ok][ok][xx]

[xx]= it falls [ok]= it wont fall [be] = support beam

Edit: if any of you guys its familiarised with redpower 2 and its cutted blocks that are like 1/2,1/4,1/7,etc. my idea its pretty much the same but not so thin, also a GUI when placing just like in RedPower 2 will be nice too

Edited by yubyub96

Yeah, I'd like better images lol. But I like where you're going with this. I would like it at least to be more difficult to build structures. Not only would it be more realistic, but it would take significantly more time to be able to build a shelter. I forget the name of the mod, but there was one built that cut each block into 8 subdivisions, and that looked awesome and would be nice as a feature in TFC.

Yeah, I'd like better images lol. But I like where you're going with this. I would like it at least to be more difficult to build structures. Not only would it be more realistic, but it would take significantly more time to be able to build a shelter. I forget the name of the mod, but there was one built that cut each block into 8 subdivisions, and that looked awesome and would be nice as a feature in TFC.

Yeah i remember the mod, i THINK it was called RedPower. and yeah i will be putting immages for better explanation.

Use this font for making accurate "block" shapes. This font is monospaced so that everything has the same width or use the bbcode for a code block "[ code ][ /code ]"

For the sake of convenience, I'll just copy and paste the OP:

[/font]Well whats TerraFirmaCraft about? i think its mostly for realism in minecraft and we cannot talk about such a thing without bringing up the 1mx1m walls that we've always used to make our houses in vanilla minecraft. so my idea its to have a wall like this:[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][] [x] = material in a normal block or collision box[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][] [0] =air or collision box-less space[x][x][x] [][] [x][0][0] [0][x][0] [0][0][x] [][]Vanilla Block ][][][ TerraFirmaCraft Blocksthis ones will be like 1/3 of a normal block but put verticaly so one can make thiner walls.the crafting recipe will be like this:[ o ][ o ][ o ] [ o ][ o ][ o ] s= saw[ s ][ b ][ o ] = [ o ][ 3xWb ][ o ] b= block(Stone,cobble,wood,bricks,stone bricks,sandstone, or any mineral block)[ o ][ o ][ o ] [ o ][ o ][ o ] 3xWb = three wall blocks, the ones aboveNow this will give as it says above one Wb that will be put in the middle of the normal block like this [air ][Wb ][air ]if its put in a crafting table like this it will change its position making it easier to be placed [][][][][][][][][[Normal block][ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[ o ][ o ][ o ][ o ][ o ][ Wb ]x=x[ air ][ air ][Wb]xxx[ Wb ][ o ][ o ]xx=x[Wb][ air ][air]xxx[ o ][ Wb ][ o ]xxx=x[ air ][Wb ][air ][ o ][ o ][ o ]xxx [Normal block]xxxx[ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxx[Normal block]xx [ o ][ o ][ o ]xxxxx[Normal block]this is something very simple (like an idea in modding i have no idea) idea, and it will give a lot of ascetics and realism enhancement, also making things placeable over half-steps (like beds, torches,etc) will give realistically looking housesi will try to make more compensable images to explain my suggestion if someone request it[font=courier new,courier,monospace]

I hate to throw a stick into this but we have to remember the limitations of the voxel engine at the core of Minecraft. If you have a wall that is thin, say takes up even 1/4th of the block. You can have nothing but AIR in the rest of that space. Now I have been toying with the idea of making a 'water fencepost' for a long time so I can put them in water and let it continue to flow past it, but you would need that functionality for everything you would want to place on a wall in your house and the like with the thin wall concept.

Just something to keep in mind, this is not as simple as it sounds as what it directly leads too is significantly more complicated.

As yubyub96 said, it's part of the redpower 2 mod, called something like microblocks or something like that, are a bunch of nice YouTube videos covering that part of the mod. although it doesn't deal with your idea of being able to have water in the remaining space of the block I think... would be really interesting, ;)

It is always tough to make good suggestions without being familiar with the code, but perhaps something can be done using the connecting properties of fences/beams that can be adapted to make thin walls work without breaking the voxel engine.

Maybe if you make a code so that when an empty side of a block its near water it changes the graphics of the air to match the water. i dont even know if its possible but anyway i can live with such a problem.

Hey guys, the water was just an example of a solution to the 'a block can only contain one type of block in it at a time' sort of thing.. As mentioned in that post I have a good idea how I can go about fixing that one already in and of itself (aside from actually writing a liquid simulation that isnt actually a block but can just fill up the world) is all.. I mean just apply this to anything you want to put on a wall, remember it will have a gap defined by the blocks actual boundaries instead of what renders :)

Ew 3D liquid simulation would melt my computer. It already takes a lot out of my system when I'm working on a RealFlow simulation at work for a 3D animation! lol

Ew 3D liquid simulation would melt my computer. It already takes a lot out of my system when I'm working on a RealFlow simulation at work for a 3D animation! lol

i suggest trying out finite liquids, and if you dont have optifine, i heartily suggest it for smoother play.

i suggest trying out finite liquids, and if you dont have optifine, i heartily suggest it for smoother play.

Will have to look into that (Already running OF. Love it)

Will have to look into that (Already running OF. Love it)

well i dont know how well finite works with this mod, i think its broken, i was just suggesting it cause it makes water real, rain can make water pools, it will slowly fill up spaces cause of the properties of water those kinds of things.

Games are not about exact replication like that.. You simply use a second set of voxels (volume based pixels or data in general in this case) in order to fill up the blocks.. This makes it finite. But you only activate it when need be.. body of water doing nothing? Then it does nothing.. Take out a bucket, it should resettle. If the body is large enough then it maintains a constant depth.. I can almost promise that is what finite water does :)

Right on. I'm sold then already lol. I hadn't actually thought about how rain could fill up puddles or ponds with that mod. I will have to play with it some time.

I hate to throw a stick into this but we have to remember the limitations of the voxel engine at the core of Minecraft. If you have a wall that is thin, say takes up even 1/4th of the block. You can have nothing but AIR in the rest of that space. Now I have been toying with the idea of making a 'water fencepost' for a long time so I can put them in water and let it continue to flow past it, but you would need that functionality for everything you would want to place on a wall in your house and the like with the thin wall concept.

Just something to keep in mind, this is not as simple as it sounds as what it directly leads too is significantly more complicated.

But what does redpower2 do then?

Redpower2 is a massive overhaul and expansion on redstone that includes logic gates and other programming abilities along with an extension of the system to something eloraam calls blutricity. I'd recommend you do some reading up on it if redstone programming and circuits interest you. It's a wonderful mod that does that and then some. If I recall (I don't know where my copy is) it is divided into 5 or 6 parts that do different things and add different functionality.

I keep on getting my ass handed to me when I try to use variables and the begin-until commands in FORTH, I've looked into it for a while, I was just referring to the sub-block crap that it pulls off :u

Oh yeah, it's a little ridiculous. I honestly am not a big fan of anything beyond the actual redstone additions and the blutricity work being done. I don't wanna upset anyone but I don't like all these sub-blocks and smaller blocks and stuff. I feel like it adds in an area of tediousness that's unnecessary for the game to be fun.

Eh, I was trying to get into the whole issue of the water not lining up with the 'walls' correctly with some bastardized form of the Redpower2 Subblock system.

I like the idea of these simple subblocks-for aesthetics-, but I swear, if it gets further than one-thirds, it'll be too much.

--Anyways, as far as i can tell, there are going to be three types of wires for the three types of information [two of which already exist] for that mod, and she wasn't able to make red-blu hybrid wires for the first iteration of 2.5, but that's besides the point.

not true, if you look up a mod called tropicraft it has coral that does exactly this without affecting anyother blocks coding, there used to be a coral reef mod and it did the same thing with even more coral types but i have been unsuccessful at finding it. but these mods are proof of concept, it is possible to code a block to occupy the same space as a water block, althpoough the blocks do tend to have trouble with flowing water, but it is a rare occurence

sorry i clicked post before i was done, the mod redpower also has a similar function with the multiple partial blocks it creates, allowing for intresting and inventive designs, such as a table or chair, even modern art, the voxel engine is alot more flexible then you might think, i even stumbled across a mod that allows the use of "dust" to make patterns on blocks. a voxel engine can esily be made to do many things even allow blocks to occypy the same space. the voxel engine can even register every pixel as its own individuel spot that can allow you to place diffrent placeble items or blocks

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0