Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Azdoine

Indestructible Stone

35 posts in this topic

I brought this up in another thread a while back, but I'm going to put this on the table again:

Making raw stone, cobblestone, stone bricks, and smooth stone indestructible without either a hammer or a pickaxe.

There's a precedent with trees, and I think it entirely makes sense.

Discuss? Shoot down? ?

The thing is, on a server, you could get blocked in by stone, and you would have NO way of getting out, and cobblestone, unless mortared, can be disassembled by hand. Bricks, while difficult, can be destroyed by hand in some cases. I think the solution that making it take a very long time (like 45 seconds) is the best route, and trees cannot be abused to create indestructible walls easily, due to growth patterns, and the unobtainable nature of the log block.

I could see this being used on natural stone only. Its not placeable without creative, in which case tree logs can also only be placed in creative.

As mentioned above un mortered cobble would be pretty easy to move by hand. Brick also if the morter wasn't excellent quality you could wear away at the morter with even a stick, course trying to do that with a meter thick wall would probably take you like a week. Smooth stone I just see as a polished block of stone that's maybe fixed in place with a glue/morter so also not to hard to move.

Natural stone though, yah I can go along with that.

Nah, i want this shit. If you get stuck in a cave, they will find your emmaciated corpse a hundred years later.

(but seriously, you would die and have to try and get your stuff back)

But that would count on a /kill command, or starvation actually killing you, which i am of two minds about. Food currently can be a bitch, considering, you can go and slaughter animals (which would probably rot in the future) ranch animals (which requires cereals, ergo, inordinate amounts of time) or hunt hostile mobs, which yields only poisoned food :/ (i forgot fruit, but still requires long amounts of time)

PS natural stone CAN be obtained by quarrying.

But that would count on a /kill command, or starvation actually killing you, which i am of two minds about. Food currently can be a bitch, considering, you can go and slaughter animals (which would probably rot in the future) ranch animals (which requires cereals, ergo, inordinate amounts of time) or hunt hostile mobs, which yields only poisoned food :/ (i forgot fruit, but still requires long amounts of time)

PS natural stone CAN be obtained by quarrying.

nah, you wouldn't die of hunger necessarilly, but if you can't get out, you might commit suicide

but if you can't get out, you might commit suicide

...But how? i mean in real life, sure. But there isn't all too much in minecraft in the way of suicide, if you were trapped in a ravine, you would either have to cheat, or delete the world (unless of course, you add suicide lol, or if you have commands enabled, you could do /kill) Because, not all too many people carry a bunch of dirt to make a dirt coffin, and if you had that much, you may as well make a tower out of it, and climb out that way.

Yet again, this is encroaching on vanilla minecraft mechanics that make sense to remove specifically for this mod.

In vanilla MC Notch didn't want players to get stuck in a hole somewhere. All blocks can be broken by hand, but it generally takes a while without a tool. Getting stuck in a hole is escapeable, but if you want to dig through a mountain you'll want a pick. It's a good concept.

This mod is made to provide a standalone experience with different design goals. Part of the intent is to make the game more difficult and less forgiving. To that end having unbreakable stone without a pickaxe is a good idea. It opens up the possibility of harder stone you need better tools to crack, actual walls that some schmuck with a tin pick won't bore through in a minute and uses for higher end materials. Granite could be impossible to dent before getting a tool of the right tier to deal with it.

The edge case of playerd being trapped is unfortunate, but the mod is advertised as being more brutal and one of the design ideas from the creator is being a little unfair to the player, so it's fine. Some minor griefinf potential, but that's what admins are for actually run your servers ya jerks.

Yet again, this is encroaching on vanilla minecraft mechanics that make sense to remove specifically for this mod.

In vanilla MC Notch didn't want players to get stuck in a hole somewhere. All blocks can be broken by hand, but it generally takes a while without a tool. Getting stuck in a hole is escapeable, but if you want to dig through a mountain you'll want a pick. It's a good concept.

This mod is made to provide a standalone experience with different design goals. Part of the intent is to make the game more difficult and less forgiving. To that end having unbreakable stone without a pickaxe is a good idea. It opens up the possibility of harder stone you need better tools to crack, actual walls that some schmuck with a tin pick won't bore through in a minute and uses for higher end materials. Granite could be impossible to dent before getting a tool of the right tier to deal with it.

The edge case of playerd being trapped is unfortunate, but the mod is advertised as being more brutal and one of the design ideas from the creator is being a little unfair to the player, so it's fine. Some minor griefinf potential, but that's what admins are for actually run your servers ya jerks.

I kind of agree, but in my opinion the design goals were to make the game more exciting, being 100% trapped in a hole, not that exciting.

I kind of agree, but in my opinion the design goals were to make the game more exciting, being 100% trapped in a hole, not that exciting.

no, less forgiving is pretty accurate. The goal of TFC isn't up for interpretation, it is sort of set in stone so to speak.

You'll only get trapped in a hole if you are not too careful. It'll only happen if you have no picks, no blocks, and somehow find yourself underground. The problem of this fringe instance problem isn't enough to remove the potential features it creates.

I think this is why alot of people use Smart moving alongside TFCraft

I think this is why alot of people use Smart moving alongside TFCraft

As one of them, i can tell you that in fact i use it for being faster in mountains. Most of the time, you won't be able to make it out of a ravine, even with smart moving, it's not like there was a staircase to the surface -unless you make it, of course-

Also, SM won't help if you get trapped in a 1x1x18 hole ._. which is what i would normally make when creating a falling trap.

fair enough.

It does really help playing TF over normal MC. idunno it feels like it belongs with this mod somehow, while in vanilla it seems like a cheatymode.

fair enough.

it seems like cheatymode.

cheatymode huh? this is now a thing

If stone becomes indestructible, Bioxx must implement a suicide button.

Or implement another function to knifes... you noticed that, if you are using a knife and press right and left click at the same time, it looks like you are stabing yourself in the face? instead of fixing this, make the knifes do lots of damage to you when doing this :P

nah, that would be too quick, you would either have to wait untill wild animals come and kill you or die of thirst, or probably of whatever injuries you got from falling in that pit in the first place, there shouldnt be a "oh shit i screwed up lemme just get back to my spawn point" button. that would be to easy

nah, that would be too quick, you would either have to wait untill wild animals come and kill you or die of thirst, or probably of whatever injuries you got from falling in that pit in the first place, there shouldnt be a "oh shit i screwed up lemme just get back to my spawn point" button. that would be to easy

But if you fall in one of Just Another Guy's falling traps how can you be injured by animals. You can also forget your knife in the grass near the trap... :D then you are ended.

But if you fall in one of Just Another Guy's falling traps how can you be injured by animals. You can also forget your knife in the grass near the trap... :D then you are ended.

well, if you fall 8 metres, you're gonna break your legs, and possibly die from infection or at least thirst

well, if you fall 8 metres, you're gonna break your legs, and possibly die from infection or at least thirst

Nooo. I forgot the thirst. Ok, no longer needed a suicide button. Infection will be cool anyway...

Nooo. I forgot the thirst. Ok, no longer needed a suicide button. Infection will be cool anyway...

yeah i just dont want it to be fast, if you're going to die in a hole, you might as well die a slow death to make it hurt all the more

Do the words tedium mean anything to you? i mean yeah, sitting in a hole waiting 7 hours IRL to die IS SO MUCH FUN!

I would rather the health system suggested a while back be implemented, or add dying from starvation/thirst.

Do the words tedium mean anything to you? i mean yeah, sitting in a hole waiting 7 hours IRL to die IS SO MUCH FUN!

I would rather the health system suggested a while back be implemented, or add dying from starvation/thirst.

tru tru, i just really dislike intentional dying just to get you out of a sticky situation

its like "oh noes my hunger is down and i has no foods"

"better put all my stuff away and jump off a cliff and everything will be k"

Yeah, the health thread imposed a death penalty, similar to some MMO's, that after being say "Reborn" you have a disposition to damage/negative de-buff, that encourages one to stay alive, rather than just jump off a cliff to gain hunger back. (i think the actual suggestion, was to spawn with low hunger, or something along those lines)