Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mindtunnel

charcoal pit?

26 posts in this topic

Sorry but I'm new and I have searched the wiki and this forum but could not find an answer. They all say to cover your charcoal pit with dirt or non-flammable material. But every time I try to build one the dirt falls through the hole at the top and puts out the firepit. I'm still in the stone age and I don't know how to get any non-flammable material that isn't affected by gravity.

Sorry but I'm new and I have searched the wiki and this forum but could not find an answer. They all say to cover your charcoal pit with dirt or non-flammable material. But every time I try to build one the dirt falls through the hole at the top and puts out the firepit. I'm still in the stone age and I don't know how to get any non-flammable material that isn't affected by gravity.

Hi and welcome to the forum. What you need to make a working charcoal pit is to close that giant hole in the middle with another log pile, then you place the dirt in a way that no wood pile can see the outside. You know if it work because after some seconds a black smoke comes out from the top.

O=log pile

F=fire pit

D= dirt

N=nothing

First layer:

NNDDD

NDOOOD

DOOOOOD

DOOFOOD

DOOOOOD

NDOOOD

Second layer:

NNDDD

NDOOOD

NDOOOD

NDOOOD

NNDDD

Third layer

NNDDD

NNDDD

NNDDD

Hope you can understand my odd scheme. :D

place a logpile above the fire before closing it with dirt. OR get sandstone. (combine 4 sand in crafting grid)

thank you so much, but I can't seem to get the dirt smoking. When I place that last log it will catch on fire and then i place the dirt on top but non of it smokes.

I think that's still bugged. Give it about 1 day awake in-game (18 hours to be precise) and check to see if it is finished.

I think that's still bugged. Give it about 1 day awake in-game (18 hours to be precise) and check to see if it is finished.

Yes, I forgot that the smoke is buggied. Anyway after 18 hours you will find a black block in the pit. Just dig it with a shovel until it doesn't disappear because it stores all the charcoal.

OR get sandstone. (combine 4 sand in crafting grid)

Can't do that anymore, sandstone is created under very high pressures for over many years. Thus, is only generated at world creation, but not right now in TFC

thank ya'll so much, what an awesome community this mod has :)

Can't do that anymore, sandstone is created under very high pressures for over many years. Thus, is only generated at world creation, but not right now in TFC

Damn forgot we got new sand types, so that recipe won't work anymore. :S

Hello guys!

If I build a Charcoal pit higher than the 2 layers of wood, do I need the central column to be empty or I can cap it from the first block above the firepit?

Cheers!

you can fill it up from the frist block above the firepit. Just keep in mind that the charcoal operation starts once you cover a burning fire with a logpile.

you can fill it up from the frist block above the firepit. Just keep in mind that the charcoal operation starts once you cover a burning fire with a logpile.

I put together an image with what I was hoping to accomplish. The idea is to make a charcoal pit as big as possible, start the fire from underneath and plug the hole. Also the wood pile walls are 2 blocks thick. Would this design work?

Posted Image

That will work, as long as you close the entrance hole with another log pile (next to fire) and dirt (above ladder) after you started the fire. If you dont close those spots, the whole thing may burn out on the inside without you noticing.

According to the wiki, this is the biggest charcoal pit possible:

Posted Image

So if your idea works, let us know!

According to the wiki, this is the biggest charcoal pit possible:

Posted Image

Actually, according to the wiki... just above that picture...

New algorithms are used in build 47c, this page will be updated at a later date, the information below is mostly correct except that the fire pit will disappear at the end of the 18 hour cycle. The charcoal produced is deposited on the floor of the pit, so make sure you collect it. You may now make charcoal pits of almost any shape up to 25m wide and 13m tall, with the firepit centered in the bottom layer.

New algorithms are used in build 47c, this page will be updated at a later date, the information below is mostly correct except that the fire pit will disappear at the end of the 18 hour cycle. The charcoal produced is deposited on the floor of the pit, so make sure you collect it. You may now make charcoal pits of almost any shape up to 25m wide and 13m tall, with the firepit centered in the bottom layer.

Ha! I've missed that three times. XD

Ha! I've missed that three times. XD

Yeah that page needs to be updated more than anything else on the wiki.

Technically, the firepit doesn't need to be "centered in the bottom layer". As long as it's in the bottom layer and not on the edge it will work. If it is on the edge, then it will burn out early, and the wood will remain unconverted.

It and sluices, I think. Neither page has the generic wiki navigation stuff at the bottom (minerals, ores, tools, etc) as I think they're both categorized as "tutorials."

The sluices page, at least, doesn't contain outright wrong information as far as I am aware.

Technically, the firepit doesn't need to be "centered in the bottom layer". As long as it's in the bottom layer and not on the edge it will work. If it is on the edge, then it will burn out early, and the wood will remain unconverted.

The only reason you would need to center it is if it is a full sized pit. It goes 12 in each direction plus the center block for 25 total. If you put it on the edge of a 25m pit, it would only pick up the first 13 rows. I have had pits on the edge that worked about half the time. Also, you need to have at least one log above the firepit, so 1 layer pits wouldn't work.

The only reason you would need to center it is if it is a full sized pit. It goes 12 in each direction plus the center block for 25 total. If you put it on the edge of a 25m pit, it would only pick up the first 13 rows. I have had pits on the edge that worked about half the time. Also, you need to have at least one log above the firepit, so 1 layer pits wouldn't work.

So i can confirm the design i posted here. I saw the maximum size the wiki says should work and I think that is amazing! although I guess that size should only be used on servers :)

The thing is, I saw Crysyn1's last video and he used as a charcoal pit one of his rooms he dug in a cliff. He filled the room with log piles then made a fire pit right next to the exit and closed the door. I think that's amazing! Just close the door on the damn thing :))

He also had 2 rooms like this so while he was waiting for one to transform he could fill the other one with logs.

Neat.

I'm using a minimalist design, mainly due to the fact that I don't need a bunch of charcoal, and that huge amounts of wood are hard to come by (especially considering the extra time needed to strip the leaves in order to get saplings).

Neat.

I'm using a minimalist design, mainly due to the fact that I don't need a bunch of charcoal, and that huge amounts of wood are hard to come by (especially considering the extra time needed to strip the leaves in order to get saplings).

Then you are very lucky. Everytime I am near a bloomery and have 6 stacks of ores, clay molds to smelt and 2 stacks of charcoal...wait...where is my charcoal gone.

Then you are very lucky. Everytime I am near a bloomery and have 6 stacks of ores, clay molds to smelt and 2 stacks of charcoal...wait...where is my charcoal gone.

Heh. Haven't gotten to that point yet. ^..^;

Still waiting on my sluices to dredge up enough copper from the ore sample below it. I suppose I could just dig it out, but hey, I'll happily milk an infinite resource as much as I can.

(My problem is that the sluices are finding iron and nickle, not copper! I may just dig up the copper and let the sluices find the iron XD)

Heh. Haven't gotten to that point yet. ^..^;

Still waiting on my sluices to dredge up enough copper from the ore sample below it. I suppose I could just dig it out, but hey, I'll happily milk an infinite resource as much as I can.

(My problem is that the sluices are finding iron and nickle, not copper! I may just dig up the copper and let the sluices find the iron XD)

<_< I meant that I use a lot of charcoal because I have a bloomery, lots of clay molds and more than 6 stacks of ores.

(My problem is that the sluices are finding iron and nickle, not copper!

LUCKY!!!! For me it is more like

My problem is... finding... nickle...!

Be thankful :)