Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
redundantusage

Fortification

49 posts in this topic

At the behest of Eternal, own thread made:

Shapeless crafting recipe:

Stick + knife = sharpened stick

Can be placed in the ground defensively slanted and pointing in the direction towards you as you place it. Hurts anything that walks at in the direction it is pointed, like a cactus. Would provide a means of fortifying the base of a structure in a believable fashion.

As a fun add-on to this: falling on a sharpened stick from higher than 4 blocks could kill you by impaling. Just for funsies.

Sharpened sticks in this manner should be narrow enough that you can walk between two of them without getting hurt (players would be able to walk through easily, mobs that simply walk in strait lines toward their target, would not). E.g. similar to the fact that a player can fit into the space between glass panes (a square of 4 of them leaves a player-sized opening in the middle).

Putting three of them in the crafting table in a row (like reeds for paper, or wheat for bread) should give an "upgraded" version that takes up a whole block-width.

Also, it should be "safe" to walk up the "hill" created by the spear (that is, damage is mono-directional).

Despite I like your idea, I don't think it will become a part of the mod because if you think about, it's overpowered. A man can place a lot of these cheap sharpened sticks around his house and then he is protected for the rest of his life. As it is now, it needs improvements. But i still like your idea.

Despite I like your idea, I don't think it will become a part of the mod because if you think about, it's overpowered. A man can place a lot of these cheap sharpened sticks around his house and then he is protected for the rest of his life. As it is now, it needs improvements. But i still like your idea.

Nah, he'd need a way into his own house too ;)

Also, you can still break the block. ;)

But yeah, it might be a little on the cheap side in order to produce. Use logs instead of sticks?

Also, you can still break the block.

Also zombies need to know how to do it. But what I think is, that wood at its normal state is too cheap. Maybe after some work in the carpentry table. Also you need a metal saw in order to make 1 post from a log. You need 6 of them and reinforced sticks (6 sticks and 2 strings) to make only one fortification. This would be enough expensive. It's only an idea.

EDIT: No no no..2 reinforced sticks are better for the crafting recipe.

maybe use string to "tie" the stick together for the upgraded version

You could make grass that grows replace them so they become more of a quick fix to security but still a worthwhile investment to start with.

maybe use string to "tie" the stick together for the upgraded version

But 2 simple brittle sticks can't hold on 6 heavy logs

You could use cane, to make Punji, which was used quite frequently in Vietnam, also cane is much harder to come by (or will be) so it would be semi-balanced.

You could use cane, to make Punji, which was used quite frequently in Vietnam, also cane is much harder to come by (or will be) so it would be semi-balanced.

Finally you arrived. You are quite good in these things.

Are we talking about "Cheval de frise" heavy duty spike traps designed to harm moving enemies or "punji" sticks which are designed to harm enemies that walk over it? If we are talking about "Cheval de frise" then it needs to be made of logs counting no less than six tied together to another log. If, however, we are talking about "punji" sticks then we cann't really have them as mono-directional however it would be very nice at the bottom of a moat or trench and can be made rather cheaply. Cheap doesn't mean OP if it has limits or a reason to spend more for an upgrade.

If we are talking about "Cheval de frise" then it needs to be made of logs counting no less than six tied together to another log.

Yes, but you need another log to keep it inclined of about 45°, or 30°. Fully customizable grades. That is needed.

I was thinking more palisades than either of those.

(The "upgraded" version I was talking about would resemble palisades, the lower tier would have space between each log/branch, looking like a spear stuck in the ground point-out).

Why cann't we have both? My Castle walls are missing spike pits. :(

We already have palisades. Just right click a log on the ground or shift click on a log pile.

We already have palisades. Just right click a log on the ground or shift click on a log pile.

That is a wood pile, not a palisade.

That is a wood pile, not a palisade.

True. The only type of palisade that we can have for now is a chiseled wall. I never tried to chisel wood, so I don't know if it will work.

Nope, the chisel only works on rocky blocks -the raw stone, the cobblestone and the smoothed stone-

Nope, the chisel only works on rocky blocks -the raw stone, the cobblestone and the smoothed stone-

Yeah. that's the reason why I never tried that. Instinct...

True. The only type of palisade that we can have for now is a chiseled wall. I never tried to chisel wood, so I don't know if it will work.

I think I'm missing something...

[suggestion]

"We already have it"

[request clarification]

"That's right, we have [something unrelated to suggestion]"

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that this suggestion should be ignored/not implemented because we already have chiseled stone and woodpiles, neither of which conform to the specifications in the original post?

I think I'm missing something...

[suggestion]

"We already have it"

[request clarification]

"That's right, we have [something unrelated to suggestion]"

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that this suggestion should be ignored/not implemented because we already have chiseled stone and woodpiles, neither of which conform to the specifications in the original post?

No, I'm not saying this. I only said that the CURRENTLY palisade that we can have is only something made of wood and stone. I think we need better things but without overpowering the game. That's what I said. Probably you misunderstood.

Don't be a flower. Nobody is saying that this thread is useless. We are trying to flush out an idea and get it in shape to present to Bioxx so he can make your dream come true. A palisade is a series of logs that are dug into the ground to make a wooden wall. They often have sharp tips but for all purposes those are useless unless you're trying to climb over them. A good palisade is tightly bound together and doesn't have many if any noticable gaps. I thought you wanted a fortification that could hurt enemies that walk over them. Last I checked you didn't just stroll over a palisade. My misunderstanding about what you wanted; however, now you made me want spike pits or "Cheval de frise."

palisades would have to be coded similar to cacti I suppose(contact=damage). The main difference being only the top block of the structure(exposed to air or non opaque block) would cause some damage. making it would consist of taking logs and a knife in a 2x2 crafting grid.

palisades would have to be coded similar to cacti I suppose(contact=damage). The main difference being only the top block of the structure(exposed to air or non opaque block) would cause some damage. making it would consist of taking logs and a knife in a 2x2 crafting grid.

um as it says in the OP

"Stick + knife = sharpened stick

Can be placed in the ground defensively slanted and pointing in the direction towards you as you place it. Hurts anything that walks at in the direction it is pointed, like a cactus. Would provide a means of fortifying the base of a structure in a believable fashion."

If the sticks in the game are of about an inch or greater in diameter like I'd assume they would be based on their being used for tool handles, then they would still work for pit traps and building base fortifications, though groupings of them like someone suggested does make more sense. Perhaps same as earlier you use a knife to sharpen individual sticks and then 3 by 3 of sharpened sticks in a crafting table would make a sharpened stick bundle. Deploying the bundle would either be done by right clicking the ground where they'd point up and damage anything that touches their top, or right clicking a wall and it'd make a slanted structure that hurts anything that touches the side like cactus.

Logs (from the trees in this game) just seem too big to to be reasonable for anything short of a large vehicle obstruction.

As a side note, I've been under the impression that historically this type of fortification is a simple and inexpensive means of applying defense to an area. So yeah, it'd be cheap. If this is a major problem for the mod you could always make them break after applying damage so many times, though this sets the precedence for wear and tear on blocks in general in my opinion, which while realistic, seems shitty.