Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
redundantusage

Fortification

49 posts in this topic

... Perhaps same as earlier you use a knife to sharpen individual sticks and then 3 by 3 of sharpened sticks in a crafting table would make a sharpened stick bundle. Deploying the bundle would either be done by right clicking the ground where they'd point up and damage anything that touches their top, or right clicking a wall and it'd make a slanted structure that hurts anything that touches the side like cactus. ...

Perfect, one block that does both things we want. Also, instead of openning that can of worms (block wear and tear) maybe they could be a little cheaper like a 2x2 and also become a one use item.

If the sticks in the game are of about an inch or greater in diameter like I'd assume they would be based on their being used for tool handles, then they would still work for pit traps and building base fortifications, though groupings of them like someone suggested does make more sense. Perhaps same as earlier you use a knife to sharpen individual sticks and then 3 by 3 of sharpened sticks in a crafting table would make a sharpened stick bundle. Deploying the bundle would either be done by right clicking the ground where they'd point up and damage anything that touches their top, or right clicking a wall and it'd make a slanted structure that hurts anything that touches the side like cactus.

Logs (from the trees in this game) just seem too big to to be reasonable for anything short of a large vehicle obstruction.

As a side note, I've been under the impression that historically this type of fortification is a simple and inexpensive means of applying defense to an area. So yeah, it'd be cheap. If this is a major problem for the mod you could always make them break after applying damage so many times, though this sets the precedence for wear and tear on blocks in general in my opinion, which while realistic, seems shitty.

That pretty much explains the idea as I'd want it, and I most definitely want wear and tear on blocks personally, so long as we have tools to combat and extend their durability. But without that limit they do seem a little easy, I've got I don't know how many double chests of sticks, if I could just build a compound around myself now I'd be happy, for my survival's stake, but I really don't think it should be that easy for me.

Ok, so you want wear and tear. We could make it so that this block would show a certain number of spikes and when it takes damage a spike disappears until it's completely gone.

I still think that sticks are too cheap, but after all yuo can't make it of other materials.

This can also introduce a new concept of traps...

I can't be the only one hoping for pitfall traps.

Good idea. I had in mind to place wooden spikes below your trap. Also spikes that pop out when you press a button or a plate. This would be awesome.

I like to keep my ideas on the simple side for the reason that anything technological can be conjectured to be "outside the time period". Though a simple Indiana Jones style step-on-meh-plate-an-firin-mah-spikes could be viable. Would give people a chance to build their own temples of doom under their town halls.

I like to keep my ideas on the simple side for the reason that anything technological can be conjectured to be "outside the time period". Though a simple Indiana Jones style step-on-meh-plate-an-firin-mah-spikes could be viable. Would give people a chance to build their own temples of doom under their town halls.

Yes, me too doesn't like technology too much, because there are only wires and other things. I just want to stay in the traps that you currently can understand, but if the popping out spikes are activated by ropes (I don't think this is possible) this doesn't make that a technology trap. The best thing (Still impossible) is that water plays a role in these traps, for example pushing out the spikes with the water pressure. Not better or technological systems. It's simple and easy to understand. Also more creative.

I just want a simple way to defend my roof from spiders -_-

Make a thing like this:

O= block that you want

<-Here's your roof

OO <-Spiders can't climb over this block

O

O

O

O M <-probably a spider

Roof overhangs not only look good but they stop those silly spiders. Yes, pitfall traps would be awesome.

GGG

D_D

DSD

G=grass, D=dirt, _=air, S=new spike block

When mob walks over the floating grass, it collapses and falls down onto the spike block which (due to special coding) breaks the dirt block (not the spike block) and allows the mob that fell in the pit to take damage until it dies. Reset the trap by:

GDG -> GGG -> GGG

DDD -> DDD -> D_D

DDD -> DDD -> DSD

I'd rather have some other special block to use on the tops of pit traps that is placeable in a floating position, so you don't have to dig under it from the side in order to replace the spikes.

I'd rather have some other special block to use on the tops of pit traps that is placeable in a floating position, so you don't have to dig under it from the side in order to replace the spikes.

Probably a trapdoor surrounded by pressure plates?

Probably a trapdoor surrounded by pressure plates?

Might work, though I was thinking more along the lines of something that a player wouldn't notice (or would have trouble noticing), giving it a use in multiplayer.

Ok so how about this. New thatch block that we can use for roofing is simular to leaf blocks. Cover your pit with thatch and it looks solid (simular to leaves) but you walk over it and fall straight down. It's not concealed, but if you make a harmless pattern of them around your area people make just think it's decorative and fall (literally) for your trap.

P.S. This would also be cool for roofing material and would make roof supports very helpful for when your on your roof.

Hmm.

The only problem with that is a non-solid block would make a poor roof material.

But I like the direction.

Yeah but nobody ever said that thatch roofs were stable. I just want them for decorative roofs for the peasant houses. :) But anyhow I think a non-solid block would be best for pit-traps. Maybe it could use whatever texture is near it or whichever texture is most common around where it's placed.

P.S. this would lead to things like punji traps and minefields.

The tripwire would be enough, but as of now you can't craft it with the mod. Anyway, let's introduce something new...a bunch of leaves would fit completely with the jungle, but if you're not in the jungle, thin sticks with the false grass on them. a wrong step and you will fall in the trap. This must work also with the player.

I hope that Bioxx looks at this topic, because you guys filled it with a lot of good ideas.

Make a thing like this:

O= block that you want

<-Here's your roof

OO <-Spiders can't climb over this block

O

O

O

O M <-probably a spider

Oh good idea!

Oh, wait, now I have skeletons that hang out under that overhang and don't get burned by the sun. :/

Kinda defeats the purpose.

Especially since I asked because I don't want spiders spawning on my roof. What good does an overhang do me then? I hate the noise they make but I don't like lighting my house up like a Christmas tree for all thieves to see. and no matter what I do, I somehow miss spots and they get on my roof.

Oh good idea!

Oh, wait, now I have skeletons that hang out under that overhang and don't get burned by the sun. :/

Kinda defeats the purpose.

Especially since I asked because I don't want spiders spawning on my roof. What good does an overhang do me then? I hate the noise they make but I don't like lighting my house up like a Christmas tree for all thieves to see. and no matter what I do, I somehow miss spots and they get on my roof.

or you could take into mind that there wont be any skelletons spiders or zombies on the surface anymore, so unless you decide to build your home in an underground crypt or dungeon, you wont be seeing those guys very often

Pretty much every idea in this thread is a good one, in my opinion, though some of my views:

perhaps wooden spikes could be really weak, dealing 0-1 point of damage every time it's contacted, but they could be upgraded with a new stone arrowhead/spike that could be knapped? Which would do nothing more then simply get rid of the possibility of no damage, and instead cause it to always deal 1 damage. Which really isn't all that much...

Mob AI might also be able to (sometimes) recognize that these blocks are dangerous, and should avoid walking into them. On top of this, maybe sometimes the mobs could get impaled, which would render the block harmless until the player comes and pulls him off?

I also like the idea of upgrading to different tiers of spikes, utilizing the various tiers of metal, with each successive tier increasing the damage output by 1. I'm just wondering how this should be implemented... Should the spikes be pure metal, with one ingot = 1 block of spikes? Or perhaps there could be metal arrowheads/spikes added, which have to be attached to sticks? Or maybe we could even implement both, with solid metal spikes dealing more damage, but being more expensive, while spikes with sticks would deal less damage but be cheaper. Or maybe just have them both have the same damage, but the sticks would have some drawback? Maybe only spikes made of sticks would impale mobs/players?

Also, I'd like to stress that, if this ever is implemented, mob AI should definitely be updated to recognize spikes as a threat, or at least simply as an impassible block.

Also, with regards to pitfall traps; I like the thought of being able to conceal a hole in the ground, and think that should definitely be implemented somehow. Perhaps we could make leaves able to be picked up, and have tree leaves occasionally drop the item when destroyed? Then, on top of that, we could add a few options that would allow you to place the leaves on top of and conceal a hole;

String, if placed in an X on the crafting grid, would create a block which can be fallen through, but can support leaves. Also, perhaps falling through the block should destroy any leaves on top of it, revealing the trap.

Alternatively, placing regular sticks in an X would accomplish the same goal, but perhaps the block is destroyed after being fallen through? Since sticks are a bit easier to acquire.

There should also be options for stone blocks... Maybe, if you took the string or stick pitfall block, and put a rock on top, it turns the block into a cobble pitfall, which is similar in function to leaves but with a cobble texture on top.

For smoothstone and bricks, there would be a special, maybe more expensive option (since smoothstone and brick pitfalls would be harder to detect then a pile of leaves). It'd basically be a trapdoor which would open downward whenever any kind of entity (including items and arrows) falls on top of them, being resettable by right-clicking. I think this should require metal in and of itself, on top of the implied metal requirements of smoothstone and bricks, though perhaps it shouldn't be that expensive? I'm not totally sure on this point, to be honest...

Also, for the later tiers, requiring redstone and maybe iron/steel, would be an upgraded version of the smoothstone/brick trapdoor, which would accept a redstone pulse directly from redstone dust (ONLY from redstone dust directly, not a pressure plate or lever, though it can accept such a pulse if it goes through redstone first.

And, possibly there would also be an option for a redstone/metal upgrade to the string pitfalls, which would have the same effects but without the leaf breaks when something falls through?

The knapped-stone headed upgrade makes me think you could just replace the crafting recipe for the sharpened sticks in a 3 by 3 with a 3 by 3 of javelins for the upgrade version then. Keeps it simple and uses an item already in the game.

Also, I like the idea of using string to set things on top of for a faux ground trap of sorts. With something like I wouldn't even need spikes, I'd just make several 1 by 1 tunnels that go straight to the core and put leaves over them. >=D

The knapped-stone headed upgrade makes me think you could just replace the crafting recipe for the sharpened sticks in a 3 by 3 with a 3 by 3 of javelins for the upgrade version then. Keeps it simple and uses an item already in the game.

Or it can be like so:

You need to craft a knife and a string together to get a knife with string ( <_<)

Then you right click in the placed sharpened sticks, your knife with string goes away and you upgrade one of their spikes.

This would be more practical than crafting another with stone spikes.

OR, if you don't want knife and string just use javelin.

This suddenly makes me want knapped arrowheads/spikes much more, and have them be a requirement for javelins...

This also makes me want knapping improvements as well.