Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abandoned mines

bee hives (for food and crop polination)

53 posts in this topic

hi guys

how does this sound

what if bee hives randomly generated in large trees

these rare structures when broken would give several chunks of honey comb

placing honey comb in a crafting bench with a jar will give you a jar of honey :)

of course going near a bee hive can be dangerous and after you have broken the nest you may want to start running

perhaps we could have some form of particle effect around bee hives to act as bees (when the nest is destroyed you take a small amount of damage)

if the bee hive is near or attached to a branch on a tree the nest can be collected in a jar and placed near crops

having a bee hive near a field could help increase crop yield for flowering plants.

honey has several other uses other than in food. if spread on a newly opened wound, honeys antibacterial properties will stop infection and speed up the healing process. in game this could give you faster health regen (by a small amount)

wax from honey could be used to make candles (all ready suggested before)

any other ideas ?

probably sugested already but i do like the bees from forestryâ„¢! used to have alot of fun with it...

but i know that biox could find a better way to implement it...

probably sugested already but i do like the bees from forestryâ„¢! used to have alot of fun with it...

but i know that biox could find a better way to implement it...

my idea was to simply have a small block spawn randomly in large trees

the bee hives from forestry spawned basically anywhere which didn't quite make much sense in my opinion

Maybe if you make a fire next to the bee hives you could take less or no damage because the bees would be knocked out from the smoke. I really like the idea I think it would be fun to be a bee keeper.

Maybe if you make a fire next to the bee hives you could take less or no damage because the bees would be knocked out from the smoke. I really like the idea I think it would be fun to be a bee keeper.

good idea :)

Perhaps 1 damage (half a heart) every 1.1 seconds or so (so it can't kill you), with a 10% chance of causing poison status for 5 seconds.

Crafting with a bottle should yield a honey bottle (can be drunk to heal 3 points of hunger and 1.2 saturation), and make a wax comb pop out (like the spare rock in knapping). Wax combs can be melted into a ceramic mold to produce liquid unshaped wax, which can be crafted into various things

yaaaaay! BEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

this would be a great way to get wax for candles

and i dont think cultivating bees would be a good idea, it just seems a bit too advanced for our time period

and i dont think cultivating bees would be a good idea, it just seems a bit too advanced for our time period

"During the medieval period abbeys and monasteries were centers of beekeeping, since beeswax was highly prized for candles and fermented honey was used to make alcoholic mead in areas of Europe where vines would not grow." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beekeeping)

I think we can cover it as TFC is gonna have some footing in the medieval eras i could be wrong though...

perhaps it could be implemented as something really advanced (and i mean advanced for the time period) just like (in my opinion) the havier armors should be...

"During the medieval period abbeys and monasteries were centers of beekeeping, since beeswax was highly prized for candles and fermented honey was used to make alcoholic mead in areas of Europe where vines would not grow." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Beekeeping)

I think we can cover it as TFC is gonna have some footing in the medieval eras i could be wrong though...

perhaps it could be implemented as something really advanced (and i mean advanced for the time period) just like (in my opinion) the havier armors should be...

okey okey. but it would be nothing like forestry, you dont just pop bees in a machine and boom honey, it would have to be much more complex

+1 for

Posted Image

(No really, bees, hives, and honey would bee awesome)

+1 for

Posted Image

(No really, bees, hives, and honey would bee awesome)

you, deserve a gold medal, i just...dont even know

you win the internet and a hug

-hug-

okey okey. but it would be nothing like forestry, you dont just pop bees in a machine and boom honey, it would have to be much more complex

getting honey involves getting impurities out (like dirt and other matter) and pasturing to kill bacteria that are harmful

perhaps we could have something like the potion brewer that is placed over a fire pit to boil.

you would put one bottle of raw honey, one bottle of water and a piece of sugar in the top slots, boil the mixture down and the new pure honey pours into a bottle at the bottom.

you, deserve a gold medal, i just...dont even know

you win the internet and a hug

-hug-

<3

I didn't even have to search as hard as I thought I would to get an appropriate image.

I was just going to type "BEEEES!" and then I went, "wait, this has to be some kind of meme that expanded out beyond my own college campus."

And then I found that.

Another use for the wax could go with the idea that has been kicked around for preserving food. Clay jars could be filled with foodstuff and then wax could be used to seal them. Hell, you could do some neat things like use that as a method of producing Fruit Preserves.

Another use for the wax could go with the idea that has been kicked around for preserving food. Clay jars could be filled with foodstuff and then wax could be used to seal them. Hell, you could do some neat things like use that as a method of producing Fruit Preserves.

very true

wax could be used in many different activities

isn't wax used in the tanning process to make leathers?

maybe if you bother a hive it should spawn a mob that resembles swarms from diablo to depict the bees defending themselves. (the difference from other mobs being that you can't just attack a swarm.)

Do the beehives generate randomly during while you play, or will they generate with the world, making them finite?

Do the beehives generate randomly during while you play, or will they generate with the world, making them finite?

I'd go the Dwarf Fortress route:

Beehives are seeded once at world-gen, but that you can construct artificial hives, and transplant them. Once a hive is "large" enough, you can split it and make two hives.

(DF has a "bee counter" for how many bees are in a hive, you can do a split if you have at least 40,000 bees in the one hive, and a hive maxes out at something like 100,000)

That way you don't have to worry so much about replenishing natural hives, but give the player the ability to create more for their own use.

(DF also destroys a hive in order to collect the honey though modern methods don't kill any bees, due to having removable sections of the hive: knock the bees off, remove the honey comb, stick the frame back into the box. All depends on what time period you want to work with)

I'd go the Dwarf Fortress route:

Beehives are seeded once at world-gen, but that you can construct artificial hives, and transplant them. Once a hive is "large" enough, you can split it and make two hives.

(DF has a "bee counter" for how many bees are in a hive, you can do a split if you have at least 40,000 bees in the one hive, and a hive maxes out at something like 100,000)

That way you don't have to worry so much about replenishing natural hives, but give the player the ability to create more for their own use.

(DF also destroys a hive in order to collect the honey; modern methods don't kill any bees, due to having removable sections of the hive: knock the bees off, remove the honey comb, stick the frame back into the box)

Ok. What if when you harvest a beehive, it has a small chance of giving you a bee grub?

Ok? And what would you do with it?

You make it grow...When it becomes a queen, if it can, it creates a new beehive.

You make it grow...When it becomes a queen, if it can, it creates a new beehive.

Eeeh. It takes more than one bee to make a hive.

In nature when a hive gets too big, a new queen takes roughly half of the existing hive with her when they swarm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_swarm

In my (admittedly limited) poking around, doing a hive split in Real Life involves locating the current queen and putting her in a new hive box, as to encourage the workers to rear one of the larvae as a new queen.

As an addendum, there are two kinds of hives that are "period appropriate":

Fixed comb hives (which are what DF uses)

Top-bar hives (which are similar in function to modern hives, but date back to ancient Greece)

Fixed comb hives require the destruction of the hive to get the honey, but are easy to make as all it requires is a hollow container (hollow log, clay pot, etc.). Top bar hives allow a portion of the hive to be easily removed, pressed for honey, and then the now-empty bar can be placed back on the hive container for new construction.

Hives created @ world-spawn should periodically emit hive-swarms naturally if left alone long enough and when there are plenty of natural food sources around, this would then fly around a bit and spawn a new hive somewhere nearby but not too close, OR could be captured or otherwise induced to enter an empty player-made hive. (there should be a saturation point for natural hives at which point the swarms never settle down (and just die). Otherwise on long-maintained worlds , you could end up with a ridiculous # of natural beehives.

It should be much more difficult to say, just destroy a hive, and expect to get a usable queen out of it. (I never really liked the way forestry implemented this, also, bees only existing as items is disappointing.)

If there is to be a crop benefit to having hives nearby, Natural hives should be beneficial in this manner as well as the cultivated bees.

If you dont take care of the cultivated bees properly, then the unhappy hive should have a chance of spawning a hive-swarm and leaving you with an empty artificial hive, and then creating a natural hive somewhere.

Ok. What if when you harvest a beehive, it has a small chance of giving you a bee grub?

When fishing is upgraded (imagine that this would happen eventually) perhaps it could be used as a bait of sorts?

When fishing is upgraded (imagine that this would happen eventually) perhaps it could be used as a bait of sorts?

Yes, probably. But only if fishes like it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0