Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
shadownet51

Crystal, Gem & Metal Magics

28 posts in this topic

I am a practioner of crystal and metal magics in real life (yes, this is a thing) and I was wondering if it would be alright for me to create an add-on to TFC that would introduce this aspect to the mod.

I noticed that the list of gems cover most of the major stones commonly used in crystal magics and that's where I got the idea to add some sort of magics to TFC that fit into the realism/survivalism feel. Bioxx commonly goes over how many of the mechanics were inspired by ancient techniques (such as charcoal making if I remember correctly) and I figured, why not add in some magic from ancient times as well and use actual spells and rituals? (And for those of you wondering on ancient crystal magic, Amethyst is commonly used as a protection crystal and even has magical use in the bible).

To give some more on my train of thought, the simplest forms of magic would be taking a stick and a gem, and making a wand. These wands would either be able to be placed like torches or would be used by right-clicking for a specific effect. A wand with an agate tip when right-clicked would speed up the time it takes to grow crops (not instantly like vanilla bone meal mind you) and a garnet wand can be used as a better torch. The greater the gem used (chipped to exquisite) the more potent the effects.

Adding gems to items would imbue them with certain magical effects, not unlike enchanting in vanilla minecraft. The only difference is that to achieve a certain level of enchantment, a certain grade gem would be needed. So with chipped gems, all you could get is a level 1 enchantment of whatever that gem grants (for example: diamonds are great for boosting energies, so a sword with an exquisite diamond would get Sharpness V, or an equivalent. I would want to replace the minecraft enchantments with something that would fit the add-on better). This enchanting would need to be done at a special enchanting table where the item to be enchanted would be placed with the gem (or gems) around it. Since magic needs spiritual energy to work, levels would be consumed just like in vanilla minecraft. Once everything is done, bam! Enchanted item.

Another use for the crystals is to be turned into crystal dust. This dust can be used as a fuel for other magics. How the dust is made is by simply applying a hammer to a crystal (except for diamond). The higher the grade of crystal, the more dust will be made. The dust could then be used as a potion ingredient or as actual fuel for more complicated spells and devices. I was thinking of a transmutation table (for example) that would require a philospher's stone (again, yes it exists and you would have to go through multiple steps to create it) that would turn a metal ingot and a gem, along with levels and crystal dust, into an ingot of another type. So yes, lead into gold, or tin into something more valuable.

The potion making would be quite different than vanilla minecraft's, where a cauldron (to fit in with the stereotype) would be where the potion is made. The cauldron itself would have to sit over a fireplace (maybe changing the gui of the fireplace too better match this?) and would need a bucket of water to start. Once the water is warm enough (maybe through the gui or by some sort of texture change), ingredients would be thrown into the top, adding to the potion. After adding in all the ingredients, you would need to stir the cauldron by hitting it with a stick or something, and after a certain period of time the potion would be done. A single cauldron would be able to fill around 2~5 potion bottles, depending on the potion. For example: adding some wheat and sapphire dust into a cauldron would make alot of weak healing potions, while opal dust, gunpowder, glowstone dust, and bread would make only a few potions of greater strength. Like enchanting, I would want to add new potion effects to better fit the feel of the mod.

To help with potion brewing, I would want to take a page out of the Dust Mod's book, where you can craft an actual book stand where you can flip the pages to see the recipes.

Non-crystal items would have magical abilities, such as the different metals. By crafting them into rods, wands made out of metal would have even a greater boosted effect, depending on what metal is mixed with what crystal. Metals could also be crafted into charms or amulets that could grant passive or active effects to the player if in their tool bar. Even the rocks and un-smelted ores can be used. Hematite is a good example, as it is commonly used to stabilize the body (poison resistance). Marble is most often used in magic as a means of protection. Place some enchanted marble stone around your base and it will repel (or at least deter) mobs from knocking on your door.

Other things I have been trying to figure out is drawing out actual magic circles for certain effects (like capturing a creeper and getting an exp bonus on killing it), crafting specific spells out of materials that you can cast later (using a specific table to make a magic scroll to use later), blending different effects of different materials to help certain abilities (using a marble altar to lower the level cost of Protection enchantments on armor) and magical equivalents to existing mechanics (enchanted furnace that runs on crystal dust, enchanted wood to make stronger and better things, enchanting metal to make tools that last longer, etc).

I will admit, programming is not my forte, and I have been playing with just making simple items step by step. I have also been reluctant to start this, as I have no idea what Bioxx has in mind for the crystals, and I may have just spoiled everything he had planned, and seeing as how TFC is his brainchild, I did not want to go tearing it apart without an ok first.

-thwonk-

thats the sound of me being hit in the face with a massive wall of text

ok, most of this is already being discussed in other threads

and while we're not exactly shunning magic, we're not necessarily going to completely embrace it either

but i do agree that potions should be made in cauldrons instead of those dinky little brewing stands

ps. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about all the text. And I was afraid of reposting something if it was elsewhere, I didn't find anything much like what I suggested.

Sorry about all the text. And I was afraid of reposting something if it was elsewhere, I didn't find anything much like what I suggested.

nah its okay, we could always use some fresh ideas to spice things up around here.

because honestly, its been kinda boring for a while now

I'd like to see where and how this is a thing. Got any good links?

This seems like a reasonable magic system, as long as the other enchantments don't get too powerful, and incorporates a lot of "classic" magic ideas, which I like. However, it has been stated and will be another thousand times, TFCraft is not, and will never be, an RPG. Sadly.

Also, as far as we know, Bioxx has nothing in mind for crystals, so you should be pretty safe there. I'd love to see an RPG mod for TFCraft at some point, but whether that is allowed, or if people actually do it (or can do it, a friend of mine tried to edit some numbers in the mod and couldn't figure out where anything was coming from, he's a pretty good java programmer), is a big question here.

. I'd love to see an RPG mod for TFCraft at some point,

modception eh?

just reflecting how magic has been used and is used in real life.

waitwhat? confusion is mine

You mean to tell me that if I tied an agate gem to a stick I could actually speed up time. I would like to request to know the gem for the opposite effect so I can pull off some Matrix moves.

waitwhat? confusion is mine

It's like homeopathy, acupuncture, and armoatherapy:

No scientific evidence that it's anything more than a placebo effect.

It's like homeopathy, acupuncture, and armoatherapy:

No scientific evidence that it's anything more than a placebo effect.

ah its just that you said magic and real life like the former actually exists in the latter

im still afraid of accupuncture, it just seems....dangerous

ah its just that you said magic and real life like the former actually exists in the latter

I keep hoping though.

im still afraid of accupuncture, it just seems....dangerous

Its not. Even tried to go home with a needle still stuck in my ankle (I didn't even get to my car; it hurt like a b*tch, but once it was out no harm done). They're really thin needles.

I keep hoping though.

Its not. Even tried to go home with a needle still stuck in my ankle (I didn't even get to my car; it hurt like a b*tch, but once it was out no harm done). They're really thin needles.

even still, the idea of having someone stick sharp things into my body still gives me the jibblies

I'm pretty sure most of your suggestions have been discussed before, but some are new (like the wands, and spells and crystal dust)

Personally, as long as the effects aren't TOO OP (when you're first dabbling in the arcane arts, anyway), then I very much like all these ideas.

However, magic, if it's ever actually implemented by Bioxx, should never be easy, nor a free ride to greatness. It should be a skill (or multiple skills) that you have to learn and master, just like metallurgy, or even knapping.

Personally, though, I think a difference with magic over the other trades should be a greater risk-reward dichotomy. Succeed, and the immense power of the arcane arts are yours. Fail... And if death does not fall upon you, fates worse then death shall.

Or perhaps there could be different schools of magic, each with their own uses, risks, and rewards?

I'm pretty sure most of your suggestions have been discussed before, but some are new (like the wands, and spells and crystal dust)

Personally, as long as the effects aren't TOO OP (when you're first dabbling in the arcane arts, anyway), then I very much like all these ideas.

However, magic, if it's ever actually implemented by Bioxx, should never be easy, nor a free ride to greatness. It should be a skill (or multiple skills) that you have to learn and master, just like metallurgy, or even knapping.

Personally, though, I think a difference with magic over the other trades should be a greater risk-reward dichotomy. Succeed, and the immense power of the arcane arts are yours. Fail... And if death does not fall upon you, fates worse then death shall.

Or perhaps there could be different schools of magic, each with their own uses, risks, and rewards?

ummm....

I'd like to see where and how this is a thing. Got any good links?

This seems like a reasonable magic system, as long as the other enchantments don't get too powerful, and incorporates a lot of "classic" magic ideas, which I like. However, it has been stated and will be another thousand times, TFCraft is not, and will never be, an RPG. Sadly.

Also, as far as we know, Bioxx has nothing in mind for crystals, so you should be pretty safe there. I'd love to see an RPG mod for TFCraft at some point, but whether that is allowed, or if people actually do it (or can do it, a friend of mine tried to edit some numbers in the mod and couldn't figure out where anything was coming from, he's a pretty good java programmer), is a big question here.

pretty much said the same thing there, and besides, theres not really gonna be "schools of magic" because theres not really gonna be much magic in TFC i think enchanting is going to be the limit

I do believe there is some confusion with what I was suggesting, and I am trying to get something together to better explain what I mean.

And in terms of magic in real life: no, a stick with an agate on it won't speed up time for you, like if I ground up bone and throw it at a seed it won't immediately grow into a tree, it only helps. Magic (or good magic I should say), is only used to help bring about certain outcomes. Wearing Jade around your neck helps bring money into your life. Does it actual work? I practice crystal magic and I still have doubts, but its the same to me as praying to a deity for help with anything. Not to mention, crystals just look really cool.

Going back into game mechanics, crystals need to be cleansed and charged before they can be used, something that takes a little more effort than tying a gem to a stick and running around with it. Would adding that mechanic help with any potential broken-ness?

The magic itself could affect only the practicer's mind - assuring him in something.

But I think Bioxx won't add a magic system, he is the man of technology.

... Honestly, i don't either support or reject this suggestion. As much as i would like magic in the game, TFC is and would still be a really good mod even if it takes the realistic way -by this i mean, not even zombies or creepers running around in the world, no magic what so ever-.

But if this gets implemented, the gems themselves should be a little harder to obtain; as of right now, there are plenty of ways to get them, one of which isn't that good: mining rocks for random chance of a random quality random gem. Maybe if the "ores" of the gems were added to the game, as the only ores that will very rarely be found in vein-like groups, more commonly found in one to 4 bolcks groups...

The objective to this is to make this magic mechanic, because of number of uses it can have, soemthing that can only rarely be used. Just a try to balance it out.

What he said...

And if the gems spawn in deposits of other ores, for example the diamond spawns in the middle of a coal deposit, because diamond is compressed coal. The ruby spawns near aluminium because it's an aluminium oxide. And the jasper can spawwn in the middle of a quartzite layer, because it derives from quartz. And so on, but they must be rare, not too common.

... a diamond is not compressed coal ._.

diamonds and coal are both native, mineral forms of carbon, the only differences are were they are found and the molecular structure. While the coal structure is amorfic, has no recognisible "sequence"*. The diamond has, instead, a crystalline structure.

Posted Image<--- This one is from a diamond, i couldn't find any suitable one for the coal, just imagine the same points in random, close spots.

About the ruby, seeing as the sapphire and ruby are chemically speaking the same thing -Corundum, or Al2O3-, sapphires should be found near aluminium as well. However, i don't know if any alluminuim ore actually exists in TFC...

And about the jasper, i have no idea :3 so yeah, let's say you are right until somebody else comes here and correct you if you are wrong.

*using this word here 'cause i forgot the one i needed... :

Ok for the diamond I didn't look at the wiki so I was wrong, but for the jasper and the ruby...

Also in TFC there isn't aluminium, but we are in suggestion so we can talk about it.

Here is the coal that I found in the wiki:

Posted Image

Diamonds would be found in kimberlite and lamproite.

Okay, I can see about doing that. I will just have to keep up with Bioxx's updates then.

I found in current TFC, that you can easily get alot of gems, but only chipped or flawed in any substanial amount. Not to mention, for good enchantments and/or potions, you would need bigger gems and crystals as well. Plus, some of the gems seem to only appear around certain rock formations (if I'm using the term right).

I also have noticed I will have to add Quartz to the gem list. Its a very common crystal that has countless uses in magic, but is usually nothing more than a battery or focus (plus it's the most commonly used crystal in technology as well!)

Okay, I can see about doing that. I will just have to keep up with Bioxx's updates then.

I found in current TFC, that you can easily get alot of gems, but only chipped or flawed in any substanial amount. Not to mention, for good enchantments and/or potions, you would need bigger gems and crystals as well. Plus, some of the gems seem to only appear around certain rock formations (if I'm using the term right).

I also have noticed I will have to add Quartz to the gem list. Its a very common crystal that has countless uses in magic, but is usually nothing more than a battery or focus (plus it's the most commonly used crystal in technology as well!)

But quartz is too common to be an important part of the magic.