Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Tropical Island Biome Suggestion

40 posts in this topic

alright so as was started in the blue tree thread, there should be some island biomes

Generation: would act kind of like the island generator from default, but islands in this biome would be more common, larger, and actually tropical

Flora/Fauna:various kinds of tropical plants would be found there, flowers from which dyes can be made, palm trees, blue mahoe trees, tropical fruits, and any other tropical stuff suggested here. obviously, there would be few vanilla mobs on these islands, instead would have birds and snakes and lots of fish

Misc: water would be tinted cyan just like the swamp water is tinted green.

Pros: unique resources, wont be screwed over if you spawn on an island anymore

Cons: difficult to get to any other biomes to get their resources, limited land to build on

feel free to add any comments, concerns questions, or striped worms to this thread

I like the idea. I also remember that there was talk of adding salt water and thirst. If that is the case then these larger islands will become essential for traversing oceans. Also if larger ships are ever added the possibilities become very exciting.

I love the idea, but maybe "biome" it's not the word you meant to say... remember this?

(...)Biomes as defined by Minecraft are now a thing of the past.(...)

Unless there is already a TFC term for the biomes, more close to the real meaning... or unless you were referring to the real meaning :P

Yeah, just wanted to point out, or instead of posting i would have had to like your post ._.

This has my vote.

sir, im sure you have heard this amny times, but you dont need to tell us anytime you like something, if you're going to post, post something relevant

sir, im sure you have heard this amny times, but you dont need to tell us anytime you like something, if you're going to post, post something relevant

And it'll probably take a few more times.

Know why? Because this is the only forum I've been on in 10+ years that has a +like feature enabled. And a community entrenched deeply over its use.

(I take that back, Firefall's forums do too, but I'm following a single thread over there)

There can be also palm trees, crabs, shells sometimes containing pearls, corals, algae and many other things.

As someone above said, biomes like in vanilla are no more. What would work out tho, is this: islands randomly generate in all ocean biomes, but just like everything else in TFC, the vegetation depends on the climate. If the island spawned around z: 0, it would be an equatorial and most likely tropical island with the features you listed. If it spawned around z: 10000, it would be somewhat like the vanilla islands and so on.

To extend on the idea, what about desert islands and Volcanic islands? Desert islands that exist now, well tbh, they suck. And Volcanoes in general are awesome, so maybe if volcanoes ever get added, they can also create islands.

To extend on the idea, what about desert islands and Volcanic islands? Desert islands that exist now, well tbh, they suck. And Volcanoes in general are awesome, so maybe if volcanoes ever get added, they can also create islands.

And underwater volcanoes, that heat the surrounding water, with some tweaks can resist at water.

In fact, many island are known to have been created because of underwater volcanoes. Maybe underwater volcanoes could slowly but constantly generate dirt and rocks around them, get rid of the water blocks, and eventually, if you stay in the same world for many many time, create volcanic island?

In fact, many island are known to have been created because of underwater volcanoes. Maybe underwater volcanoes could slowly but constantly generate dirt and rocks around them, get rid of the water blocks, and eventually, if you stay in the same world for many many time, create volcanic island?

Illumination...after a moment...total dark. And the cpu usage?

Well, it would be extremely slow -like, spawning a block every hour of play?-, how much lag a single block spawning every hour can give you?

About the water being removed... well, that would really be a thing -i use SPC myself, i knwo how much lag can give you to place or eliminate a full wall of blocks :-. Maybe if it was done at the same rithm, it could help.

Well, it would be extremely slow -like, spawning a block every hour of play?

Yes, that would be ok.

Lag free islands. Buy your own today!

Well, it would be extremely slow -like, spawning a block every hour of play?-, how much lag a single block spawning every hour can give you?

Maybe a block every TFC day? 1 per hour of irl play seems reeeaaallly slow

(yes i know volcanoes are very slow irl, but for the sake of having a feature that isn't useless we need to speed it up a bit, *insert believability not realism argument here*)

well, that's true... honestly i said "an hour" just for this idea not to be taken out because of the lag :P

in fact, the idea is to the process to be pretty slow, but noticiable, so if you have had a game for a very long time, you could see how the land slowly changed as the island rised by itself from the seas.

I would love for this mod to be dynamic in this aspect. In MC the only thing that can change the world is you, creepers and endermans. And since you can easily take those one down, this gives the player a great -even though limited- control over the world they are in. Instead, i would like the world to be changing on it's own as i play. Ever seen the Nature Overhaul mod? was my favorite one 'til i meet this one.it's really a shame they don't work together... :

Okay, i went a little off topic here ._. back on topic... wee, tropical islands!

well, that's true... honestly i said "an hour" just for this idea not to be taken out because of the lag :P

in fact, the idea is to the process to be pretty slow, but noticiable, so if you have had a game for a very long time, you could see how the land slowly changed as the island rised by itself from the seas.

I would love for this mod to be dynamic in this aspect. In MC the only thing that can change the world is you, creepers and endermans. And since you can easily take those one down, this gives the player a great -even though limited- control over the world they are in. Instead, i would like the world to be changing on it's own as i play. Ever seen the Nature Overhaul mod? was my favorite one 'til i meet this one.it's really a shame they don't work together... :

Okay, i went a little off topic here ._. back on topic... wee, tropical islands!

Now we need a way to stop the island generation when it's complete, because no one wants a basalt blob invading his world. Then what about growing plants that generate when the island is finished? Obviously very slowly.

Have you guys seen the tropicraft mod? let's not turn it into that with all the pearls and stuff. let's keep it TFC and not a flowery resort really xD

Have you guys seen the tropicraft mod? let's not turn it into that with all the pearls and stuff. let's keep it TFC and not a flowery resort really xD

Tropicraft has pearls? Anyway we are talking about self generating islands and a new biome for this awesome mod. Nothing to do with tropicraft and other dimensions, or pina colada :lol:

I definitely support the usage or ocean, river, and plains use in world gen. for between 2000 and -2000; however when you start saying things like reproduce themselves I think of the problems with cancer. Cancer is a cell that reproduces itself faster than it dies. We would be unable to build on those islands no matter how cool they would be and it would eventually make our world unplayable. So tropic islands and fauna, yes! Blocks that reproduce themselves, no!

Also with the overlap in the new world gen. we should be able to see some, if not often, tropic fauna between 4000 and -4000.

however when you start saying things like reproduce themselves I think of the problems with cancer. Cancer is a cell that reproduces itself faster than it dies.

Please don't talk about this. I don't have good memories of it :(. However, yes blocks that generates themselves are too much. But not a vulcanic island generated with the world. The lower layer must be of basalt, because it has a volcano under it after all. And obviously there is also the volcano.

I definitely support the usage or ocean, river, and plains use in world gen. for between 2000 and -2000; however when you start saying things like reproduce themselves I think of the problems with cancer. Cancer is a cell that reproduces itself faster than it dies. We would be unable to build on those islands no matter how cool they would be and it would eventually make our world unplayable. So tropic islands and fauna, yes! Blocks that reproduce themselves, no!

Also with the overlap in the new world gen. we should be able to see some, if not often, tropic fauna between 4000 and -4000.

Yes, they would eventually make your worlds unplayable, that's very true... but, on the other hand, how many time it will took for it to make enough blocks for making your world unplayable, in the first place? let's take the "1 block a MCday" rithm suggested up there. a minecraft day is 20 minutes in real life, 3 MC days an hour. Then, it takes to the game a total of 336 real life hours for the volcano to generate 1000 blocks. Or, almost 2 real life weeks in game, with no rest. By then, at least i am already in black steel; and 1000, as much as they can seem to be, are not really that much considering that would have to raise an island from the bottom of the ocean -Although, granted, neither MC or TFC have great, deep oceans. Yet.-. 1000 blocks are not enought to make the world unplayable, either, unless you have the worst computer in the world, in which case i would ask why you even installed minecraft to start with. Finally, those 1000 blocks will only generate while you are actually in the world -which most of the times means, playing the game-. Most people won't, however, spent 2 complete weeks, 24 hours a day, playing minecraft. I personally use to play around 4 hours a day if i'm not too busy; i know from people who spend 8,9, or even more time there playing the game. For me, it would take 6 times more time -12 weeks, or three months- for those 1000 blocks to generate, and for those who are addicted enought to play for 8 hours a day, 3 times longer, or a month and a half. Most of my saves just won't survive that long.

Also, we will be able to build on those islands; as the terrain generates at a very slow rate, you could easily build something there, taking resources from the terrain around you to make you awesome house. If the volcano ever generates a block over the house, you just go up there and mine it, as simple as that.

Finally, if this doesn't convinces you, the volcano could count as a generated structure, so that option of minecraft that TFC has rendered useless a while ago would have again a purpose.

so I'm seeing that if the X is ±1000, the rain and temperature are above a certain threshold, and the area is surrounded by water on all sides, you have a chance to generate palm trees (grow coconuts?), a lighter-colored sand than normal, clearer water in the surrounding area, and perhaps unique mobs like crabs and turtles (crabmeat has similar stats to eggs, and turtle shells can make tools and bowls for food)

Beware, world, 'cause i just got myself a turtle shell sword! >:D

(?)

Beware, world, 'cause i just got myself a turtle shell sword! > :D

(?)

turtle shell sword.... well maybe a turtle shell sheild, but not a sword, that just doesnt make sence