Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackZaitsev

Ideas and discussion about FISHING!

15 posts in this topic

so guys i was in a thread about beekeeping and this one guy came out with something that cought my atention, yes fishing in minecraft fishing is no fun its just another way of getting meat so i do believe that TFC will do a revamp on fishing at some point my question is how do you guys think it should be implemented?

what should be changed?

and how to make fishing fun and a reliable source of food in case your spawn close to a body of water? (and it has plenty of fish).

so lets discuss..

Well, I think that fishing is not just

"throw the fishing line, wait for fish, recover the fishing line".

It must be like

"Use a bait, take the momentum, focus the zone where you want to fish, throw the fishing line, wait, if there is a fish, pull the fishing rod, trap the fish in your fishhook, now you can rewind your fishing line, with something kill your fish, extract the fishhook form its mouth"

IF your goal is to catch fish for food then use some kind of net or harpoon because fishing rod are not really efficient

My idea would be to :

First, add a parameter in water blocks with % fish that fluctuate in time but in a manner that good fishing spot stay good (Location would be important like IRL)

Second, another parameter % fishing stress if you catch too many fish well you know...

hope this make sense

with something kill your fish

"I have pulled this fist out of the water. The high-oxygen environment is burning its gills, and the dry air is dehydrating it. I bet if I leave it like this, it will expire in about three to eight minutes."

(Aka: you don't need a tool to kill the fish, the lack of water will do that for you)

"I have pulled this fist out of the water. The high-oxygen environment is burning its gills, and the dry air is dehydrating it. I bet if I leave it like this, it will expire in about three to eight minutes."

(Aka: you don't need a tool to kill the fish, the lack of water will do that for you)

But if you are very hungry?

But if you are very hungry?

firepit right away i guess...

Fishing

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fishing is the activity of trying to catch fish. Fish are normally caught in the wild. Techniques for catching fish include hand gathering, spearing, netting, angling and trapping.

now i am not saying that all this techniques should be implemented but at least hand gathering (for starters, for that period when you dont have any resources like string and other stuff (i think that to make a fishing line should take more work than just kiling a couple of spiders), spearfishing and then the old fishing rod could come in to play.

anyway hand gathering should be somehing really hard and it should take skill and a huge luck factor (it hurts me to say this as i dont have luck with anything), now spear fishing should be done with the javelin at first but to be eficient we should add bamboo to the game and with the adition of napping in wood (i just heard about it dont know where so i am just expeculating here) we could craft a bamboo spear (it would look like this one), and of course for this to happen the way i imagine we would have to add fish as an entity of the game like a School just swiming around! (and diferent types of fish will be nice too)

i think the best way to go about this is...

1ª - Location you are fishing

2ª - depth of the waterbody

3ª - concetration of fish in the area (based on how much you have done fishing in that area (along with other parameters) and make that if you exhoust that number it will not refill but if left alone for a whille it will grow again)

obs: again if we add fish as an entity this would get easyer to implement becouse if you get all the fish in the area that poll is done and no more fish from there.

4ª - and i am out of ideas gonna let the rest to you guys...

My father is a fisherman by trade and I assure you killing the fish is very necessary unless you have a large holding tank. They are not movable at all while alive, it simply cannot be done unless you grab them by the gills but they will still flail for several minutes even after death sometimes, we kill them early so they don't flop all of over the place. The most common ways are either clubbing or degilling (literally grabbing and tearing their gills).

Continuing on bait does not need to be too in depth simply because there are no people around anything that slightly resembles food will be swallowed without a second thought. That is the reason nobody truly uses worms anymore because fish almost completely stopped eating them unless they were purposefully starved.

There are two types of effective bait those mimicking fish and those mimicking bugs. The fish are usually used in salt water and bugs in fresh water. People do the opposite too depending on location. The best bait though is the real thing. Real bait fish (like herring) and real bugs (this isn't as easy).

Synthetic lures mimicing fish are unnecessary and would serve no real advantage given the situation of Steve even on SMP. However manufactured lures mimicking bugs are far easier it simply could be a carved wooden hook with a feather tied around it using string this is known as fly tying.

On a side note there are only two types of fish you can catch with your hand. Something that spawns on shore (smelt) or something that is hungry for your hand (sharks and catfish).

Netting in some form is absolutely necessary.

Ask any other fishing questions you want I have had plenty of experience with most techniques (minus shark fishing although I have accidently caught several, but not with my arm)

so bsb how would you have hand gathering implemented? maybe it could only be doable with cat fish as you said?

i ask this first becouse thats should be the first and less resource intensive way of getting some fish in the (very) early game...

I'm honestly not sure if it can be implemented. Sharks require decently strong gloves which aren't easy to get and catfish respond to things in their "den/home/hole" and since we have no mechanic to stick our arm in there it would mean that the only possible way would be using our leg which would not work very well. Did some research this is called noodling.

It would probably be more likely for Steve to gillnet, spear, or gorge his fish as this were the early developed techniques that required very little manufacturing. Gillneting is the method of use flexible net to trap a fish by its gills, this is most effective at river mouths. Hopefully everyone knows what spearing is. Gorging is essentially using a giant hook to catch fish it is just held in the water and then pulled essentially. Another early method was to literally paralyze the fish using neurotoxins, I don't know where the heck early man got neurotoxins from though.

After even more research there is another method of handfishing known as trout tickling which is more or less is someone tickling a fish in an attempt to make the fish allow you to get near its head which is the only place you can grab it. I have never heard of it but apparently it was common during the Great Depression.

interesting i would love to hear from a programer what would it take (code wise) to implement this into the game!!

First, let me note that I think this belongs in the suggestion session.

That said, in an article about survival traps, the article noted that it is possible to set up an "engine" (a sapling or flexible piece of wood), rigged to yank a fishing line straight up into the air when the hook is disturbed. It's a great "Set and forget" method of gathering food, it's fairly inexpensive, and you can easily set up a bunch of these things. Granted, this assumes you have a decent knife to carve the trigger, but you can make one from a pair of "Y"-shaped sticks in a pinch.

Source article. The bit relevant to fishing is a fair bit down the article, but the whole thign is a worthwhile read.

You can catch river/stream fish by hand, I've done it several times. That said it is VERY difficult and its way easier to catch with pretty much any other catch method; ie spear, pole, net, and what have you.

As far as in game, not really something I would personally include. Firstly would require a lot of messing with character code, and secondly its such a test of personal paitence irl that any kind of minigame that made it believable would drive people mad.

I like the idea of crafting bait for the fishing rod. Lead could be used to craft weights too that could be added to the fishing rod.

As for net fishing, I was thinking about something resembling the sluice that could be place in a river and that would catch the fish. We could even need to create a sort of dam to redirect the water through the net. Crafting it should required a lot of string, like 9 piece of string gives 1 piece of net but then u need to assemble it with stick a little like how u craft the bellows ( plank is stick and leather is piece of net)

Well not sure about the actual fishing methods, But just to put it out there, I'm pretty sure that fish will 'soon' be actual entities (e.g. pigs, cows, squids) so you'll be able to see and interact with them (possibly with effects to their population).

Another early method was to literally paralyze the fish using neurotoxins, I don't know where the heck early man got neurotoxins from though.

Frogs (poison dart) or plants such would be my first thought.

This article is cool, but unfortunately rather pointless :(. I have outlined all the mechanics for fishing (I don't remember where) on the forums, but there was a lot, so I can't really repeat it all.

Expect fish mobs.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0