Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Crysyn

Salt Water

48 posts in this topic

This seems like something to be lumped in in general with water ideas but oceans being salt water and not being useful for consumption, growth of crops, etc just seems like a logical step.

seems like there could be multiple uses if you had saltwater biomes, like extracting seasalt from the water, but how easy would it be to implement? and what happends when salt- and sweetwater mixes? Will it spawn brackish water or... many interesting features, I was thinking of having saltwater for the quenching since that was common back in the day...

Salt water + evaporation = salt for food preservation.

Maybe fresh water can become a resource in itself by only being available in the small, generated ponds?

and to further this idea, what about swamp water... i cant imagine living in a swamp with super clean drinkable water...

I wouldn't want to drink swamp water even if it looked clean. it could be coded in there easily since it is a biome-specific thing.

Well do we add in thirst to the game? Do you have to carry around a water skin on a long journey? Then water quality should come into play, ability to steralize, desalt, etc would all become more important. What should be kept in mind with every design though is will it make playing by yourself impossible. This mod has been mentioned more than once that it is meant to be played with multiple people, but I am not sure we want to exclude solo play while also still letting you play as opposed to just survive :)

With all these great suggestions, I'm starting to think with ones like this I might want longer day/night cycles so I have time to prepare the water and foods as well as gear for trips.

With all these great suggestions, I'm starting to think with ones like this I might want longer day/night cycles so I have time to prepare the water and foods as well as gear for trips.

Post it as a suggestion :)

how many ways could there be to get the salt out of salt water? i like the idea of food going bad as it make you need to make a way to perserve it. one idea i had to mimic this was a room of ice/snow.

how many ways could there be to get the salt out of salt water? i like the idea of food going bad as it make you need to make a way to perserve it. one idea i had to mimic this was a room of ice/snow.

well the easiest and maybe most common is to boil it out. dont really know about any other ways

well the easiest and maybe most common is to boil it out. dont really know about any other ways

Ground water in beaches can be collected through evaporation. By placing a cloth over a hole and weighting the center, water evaporates and then drips into a container.

So in TFC, digging a hole and perhaps placing paper or cloth and a bowl inside, you could produce water from beaches.

Hmmm well then maybe we should suggest a distillation system (a chemistry set via crafted glass anyone? :D)

pottery urns and brass pipes would work for distillation aswell, no?

Salt pans for collecting salt? Craft them out of wood or something and have them as low-sided bowl shaped things taking up one block. Pour water into them, wait a while and then collect the salt. It could appear in much the same way as sulphur deposits except white.

Yea and steve have to pee and poo because teh water or food have to come out of him.That's something natural.That's no joke!

Hmmm well then maybe we should suggest a distillation system (a chemistry set via crafted glass anyone? :D)

I see we are going to keep pushing until a full lab set can be crafted. Complete with a still for brewering, of course :P

This mod has been mentioned more than once that it is meant to be played with multiple people, but I am not sure we want to exclude solo play while also still letting you play as opposed to just survive :)

In that case, we should change the game mode "survival" for "the last survivor", because we are going to need to be very resourcefull when playing solo. :P:D :D

Enough offtopic. I do feel thirst is a good thing to do. If it makes so much of a game stopper, we could make it an option when creating a new map, just like when we choose wether we want structures or not.

How to carry water arround? Buckets, water skin, maybe bottles.

Where can we get this water? Well, we could get it from rivers (any water source block in a river biome, for a starter). Maybe diggin down a 2x2 hole on dirt near a body of water could turn it into a well.

And certain foods should decrease thirst (think of watermelons) or increase it (bacon! salted fish!)

One of the more common ways to isolate salt from water is to use a solar still. It is essentially a hole in the ground in which you place the salty water (or other... liquids...) and in the center you put a cup or bowl, and over the whole contraption you drape a plastic sheet so that the evaporating water collects on the sheet and pours into the cup/bowl. However, if you want the salt rather than the water, you can place the water on a large, open, flat area so when the water dries, a film of salt is left over.

If DF is any indication, this might slow MC down. :S Also makes beach settlements much less fun if thirst is implemented.

However, if it NEEDS to happen, it would make more sense to have the water stay like it is, the bucket/water-picker-upper detecting what biome said water block is in and have the bucket "fill up" with the appropriate water. So you don't have to worry about all the other stuff.

Hey, Dunk here.

Being a programmer for TFC, I have seen the code for the currently unreleased beta 2. I can't say much, but there *might* be SW / FW ;)

So we can take your words as a spoiler alert? Or are you just spreading rumors ;D lol

It's a little spoiler, but don't spread it around ;)

Heh, I hope if there is thirst/water/waterskins that there will be stills/flasks/alchohol, after all, dwarves work half as fast on water as they do on alchohol. :P

All the more reason to be brewing spirits and wine (and mead from that honey we'll be getting from beekeeping) :D