Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
xdjherox88

Dirt and sand sliding off I hate it

60 posts in this topic

I'm not one for much complaining but after this update its quite annoying trying to even out sides of mountians and hills now becuase now i have to use X2 amount of resources :angry: to even out a spot i think he should take it out its not even a realistic thing either mud stays in place tell me what you think. :lol:

Nah, that part I don't mind, the changes to supports at the same time though annoys me.

I haven't tried this, but couldn't fences be used to shore up the dirt?

I haven't tried this, but couldn't fences be used to shore up the dirt?

....starting houses, I see them now: fences for walls, log piles* for a roof (or more fence).

*You can't place a log pile on top of a non-full pile now, but can you still place them in floating positions? Are they effected by gravity?

i hope we get some simple thing we can use to build a starting hut soon. :S

Loved my supported dirt huts. :(

i hope we get some simple thing we can use to build a starting hut soon. :S

Loved my supported dirt huts. :(

Fences. All they take are 3 sticks per fence block. Can't get any cheaper than that in TFC.

I have no issue with landslides being real. My question is, what do I do when I fall in a ravine? How do I get out, ESPECIALLY at the start when I have few/no tools? I just ran into this. I managed to slap together some cobblestone in odd places but I know that's not always possible. I'm wondering if there is a way to balance it, like killing dirt house but allowing single pillars maybe? I'm not sure, I just know that it's pain falling now, and not just in hearts. ;)

I wonder if they're thinking of adding mud bricks to the mod.

In the meantime, walls for a first hut could be made with cobblestone from the copious amounts of stone lying around.

I have no issue with landslides being real. My question is, what do I do when I fall in a ravine? How do I get out, ESPECIALLY at the start when I have few/no tools? I just ran into this. I managed to slap together some cobblestone in odd places but I know that's not always possible. I'm wondering if there is a way to balance it, like killing dirt house but allowing single pillars maybe? I'm not sure, I just know that it's pain falling now, and not just in hearts. ;)

Usually I have more rocks than I have dirt, so I think you could just build a pillar of rocks instead of relying on dirt.(though not entirely believable either and maybe even that will change, but meh)

I would hold shift if I come close to a ravine so at least I wouldn't fall down too easily.

I usually build a house with logs in the beginning because it's quite easy to get and you could always use the logs for something else if you feel like changing things. Or like elustran said, cobblestone houses is an early alternative.

I wonder if they're thinking of adding mud bricks to the mod.

THAT is an awesome idea. I think. Maybe a bucket of water to a dirt block...???

THAT is an awesome idea. I think. Maybe a bucket of water to a dirt block...???

You know peat isn't affected by gravity right?

love this change as it kills the 1x1 dirt pilars too i guess!

anyway mod is taking the right direction taking the silly stuff out and puting some amazing stuff in...

love it thanks bioxx...

Or like elustran said, cobblestone houses is an early alternative.

How do you even get cobblestone? I've only seen it happen from creeper explosions.

(Not counting cave ins, because those aren't itemistic)

I would hold shift if I come close to a ravine so at least I wouldn't fall down too easily.

Because that's something easy to do when you're being chased down by something nasty like a spider or creeper.

Or even when you don't see it because it's walled off with a one layer piece of grass. SURPRISE! 30 foot drop. Please kill yourself now because there's no other way out and even no way back to retrieve your stuff.

My current beef with this is that it feels like we're being punished for trees not working correctly.

I've always used dirt pillars to get that one (sometimes up to three) pieces of wood that sticks around after I've cut a willow tree down.

Now I have to use cobblestone and by extension, waste my pick and metals... on a tree that didn't fall properly. :/

I've also never used wood for my houses. They're not house material for me. Even mud houses are far more attractive.

How do you even get cobblestone? I've only seen it happen from creeper explosions.

(Not counting cave ins, because those aren't itemistic)

All those little rocks you pick from the ground are cobblestone. Just right click on the ground with a rock piece.

All those little rocks you pick from the ground are cobblestone. Just right click on the ground with a rock piece.

Really! Hadn't occured to me to try that, as they had an item quality to them (that is, they don't look like blocks, thus it's not immediately apparent that they are a building material)

I don't really know if I like it or not, but I have a couple of tips for getting around it.

First, dirt that is already stacked will stay stacked, even after block updates, so you can dig down, and still have tall dirt walls. The only thing that will make currently stacked dirt fall is when other dirt falls around it. There seems to be a bug where if dirt falls multiple times (like rolling down a hill), then tall stacked dirt in the hill can suddenly change from a block into an item, like as if it was dug with a shovel. I'm guessing it's a bug.

As others said, cobblestone still stacks up just fine, so building walls with it works well. Just don't mess up, because you can't remove cobblestone until you get a metal pick. Log piles or wood planks can be used for a ceiling without needing supports.

Lastly, torches still hold up dirt. If you place dirt on a torch, then remove the torch, the dirt will fall. But, if you put a torch on a wall, then stack a dirt block on the wall, the torch will keep the dirt from sliding off, then you can remove the torch, and the dirt will stay balanced on the wall. So, with a little extra work, you can build almost anything that could be built before.

Really! Hadn't occured to me to try that, as they had an item quality to them (that is, they don't look like blocks, thus it's not immediately apparent that they are a building material)

I was surprised it does that as well before. hopefully Bioxx would change a bit of it, like having different sizes of stone, with large/medium being placeable cobblestone or something. It'll make sure you don't get stone houses early on, though it'll make getting out of a ravine harder to do.

Then again, who would risk falling in or getting even close to a ravine with the known dangers?

Then again, who would risk falling in or getting even close to a ravine with the known dangers?

Sometimes you never see the ravine until the grass collaspes.

Sometimes you never see the ravine until the grass collaspes.

Well, I do wonder how this new physics will affect the dirt with grass on it and the current ravines. I think the ravines we know about now will be a lot different with the physics like this and I hope Bioxx already foreseen the possible issues(i.e. lots of dirt below the grass falling into the ravine, leaving a big gap below the grass)

I haven't played the new version yet, in case you're wondering.

i.e. lots of dirt below the grass falling into the ravine, leaving a big gap below the grass)

Nope, read the post I made on the last page. Dirt that is already stacked won't fall.

To make a pillar:

1) place dirt block

2) place 4 torches on the sides of the dirt block

3) add another dirt block

4) remove 4 torches, go to #1 #2

Nope, read the post I made on the last page. Dirt that is already stacked won't fall.

To make a pillar:

*snip*

Stacked dirt != floating dirt

A ravine can generate and leave floating dirt, which causes a ravine one cannot see, and by walking over it, you can trigger the grass -> dirt -> floating -> falling effect, and end up in a ravine, regardless of how "safe" you've been.

To make a pillar:

1) place dirt block

2) place 4 torches on the sides of the dirt block

3) add another dirt block

4) remove 4 torches, go to #1

With that you mean that when I have this:

X

X

I need to do this:

X

X

X