Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
xdjherox88

Dirt and sand sliding off I hate it

60 posts in this topic

tell me what you think. :lol:

I think your OP could use some punctuation.

I'm not one for much complaining but after this update its quite annoying trying to even out sides of mountians and hills now becuase now i have to use X2 amount of resources :angry: to even out a spot i think he should take it out its not even a realistic thing either mud stays in place tell me what you think. :lol:

A: Use supports when evening the mountains out. They can be removed after you've finished.

or

B: Find peat and use that as your dirt-block of choice as it isn't affected by gravity.

... You sure this is the thread you intended to post that into?

I might have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting using wood pillars instead of dirt pillars? It's not as fast to take down, but it doesn't require metal tools when those are hard to come by.

I assumed that wood pillars was obvious, so I didn't mention it. Wood is clearly what we are supposed to be using to build our first house, and it seems obvious the dirt/sand change was to force us to use wood.

The problem is that wood is just not as easy to come by as dirt. Turning logs into planks is a 4:3 ratio, and it goes through a lot of axes. You can build with logs directly, but then removal of walls is horribly painful. We all know these methods, the complainers here are just saying that they are too hard :/

I have always built wood shacks as my starting point in TFC. The challenge to get one up before night falls has always been fun to me, personally.

BTW, I do miss dirt huts because they were another option, and I love variety. I hope the idea of mud blocks for home building will be examined. But, it's pretty easy to put together a small wooden shack with a door, torches, etc in your first day, so I don't think there's an argument for dirt hovels as a necessity.

I have always built wood shacks as my starting point in TFC. The challenge to get one up before night falls has always been fun to me, personally.

At first, I was unsure if I liked the dirt sliding change, but I've made up my mind now that I am in favor. This is the main reason. I'm one of those people that has kept my dirt hut long after I should have upgraded. Now there's real penalties to using dirt, and I like that.

The second reason is charcoal. Charcoal has always been tedious, but now it actually presents interesting problems to solve.

The only negative is that dirt can no longer be used for pillaring up (when harvesting fruit trees or reaching ore that is high in a mine). Wood blocks can be used, of course, but they only stack up to 8. Cobblestone can be used, but it's slow to remove. I'd love to see IC2-style scaffolding added for these situations :)

Earlier today I was filling in some holes with dirt. When I mis-click, I would have to switch to my shovel and remove it; but, since the change filling in holes is alot easier now. Also, I find that, if I'm careful and use the same wood that will later be used for the roof to brace the dirt walls with, I can still make a dirt house. It's more of a challenge to do so now and every-so-often requires repairs but it's still do-able.