Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Treyflix

Greenhouses!

43 posts in this topic

So with the recent agriculture update and how you need to get your seeds planted early due to not growing in the winter, perhaps we should have greenhouses?

I'm not sure on how they would work for coding, but the idea is if you create a a glass structure it warms up inside according to how much sunlight it gets and how well insulated it is. Perhaps it the depths of winter it would need a heat source like a fireplace?

Yes please. There's nothing quite like missing spring in SMP and having to wait a week before you can even START your crops. I'd just be happy with having a way to protect them.

Wow, yes that is a good idea. But if you build a glass house what happens? Do you become ash? Or simply thirst, weak and sweaty?

support.

Please use the like function in the future, a one word post just to say you like an idea isn't needed and is not constructive to the conversation. If you don't know what the like button is, it's the little blue button off to the right of a post. If you have something new to add, then please, by all means post it, but don't post if all you have to say is "support"

I think wolf, it would just raise the temperature in there. That sort of stuff would wait until/if Steve has thirst is affected by temp.

This is assuming that the crops are effected by temp not seasons. If not it would have to be changed.

Your greenhouse would also need to be watered daily to survive. Or set up with some sort of costly irragation system. Greenhouses are upkeep, this shod t just be a "huur Durrell glass house with crops, now I can leave them until spring and then pick em"

You should need a well insulated, but still well lit building that is difficult (but not too much) to maintain. However the rewards would be quite nice.

I think wolf, it would just raise the temperature in there. That sort of stuff would wait until/if Steve has thirst is affected by temp.

This is assuming that the crops are effected by temp not seasons. If not it would have to be changed.

Your greenhouse would also need to be watered daily to survive. Or set up with some sort of costly irragation system. Greenhouses are upkeep, this shod t just be a "huur Durrell glass house with crops, now I can leave them until spring and then pick em"

You should need a well insulated, but still well lit building that is difficult (but not too much) to maintain. However the rewards would be quite nice.

Hey!!! And what if different coloured glass generates different heat quantity?

Hey!!! And what if different coloured glass generates different heat quantity?

Wait, do we have colored glass?

And no That is completely unrealistic and unbelievable. Sorry buddy, not trying to be mean.

And if different plants need different heat and different greenhouses height?

I'm a organic farmer and have never encountered such a situation.

If it's too warm in there, you open up a vent.

If it's too cold, you either didn't insulate it well enough or there isn't enough sunlight and there ain't anything you can do.

I'm a organic farmer and have never encountered such a situation.

If it's too warm in there, you open up a vent.

If it's too cold, you either didn't insulate it well enough or there isn't enough sunlight and there ain't anything you can do.

Yes, I'm not an organic farmer. I just wanted to suggest something so it's easy that I mistake in something I don't know like you.

I know you're just trying to disscuss :)

I'll make some more points later, but I gotta go out and work for a while.

Well... The glass color can't affect the heat inside the greenhouse -except if it's darker, which is stupid if you want plants growing in there-. However, the glass color can change the way plants grow -Some plants, when only exposed to blue light, will grow much bigger leafs than normal, while when exposed to green light their stem grow taller, and with orange light they had more seeds- We then could have some plants that, when placed below colored glass, grow a little faster or give more yield of either seeds or that plant's product -more tomatoes, more wheat...-. How we balance this buff when just placing colored glass over a plant? Different plants will react in different maners to a same color light, if they do react at all. Some plants coul even give back less seeds or products if exposed to certain lights. And when you break glass, you won't obtain it back -nor you do with vanilla one, nor you should be able to do with any TFC version-. So, when you placed colored galls over a spot, that spot will be only good for certain plants which you don't know, and if you do discover one, the next season you will have to decide if you plant it again, eventually overusing the terrain, or plant something else which could be debuffed by that glass color.

Or use simple normal glass, no buffs or debuffs to anything, less complication.

Doesn't seem beliveible.

Doesn't seem beliveible.

neither does a world made of metre cubes,

and actually it does because it's botanically plausible

Doesn't seem beliveible.

It may not seem believable, but it is a scientific fact. Here are some pages i found about how does the light color affect plants growth:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5185470_color-light-effect-plant-growth_.html

http://www.gardenguides.com/74951-colored-light-affect-plant-growth.html

Now, i admit that up there i made up some of the examples -i got the red light effect good, though-. Just, erase all that, now that i know this i won't ask for this. Instead, we could have a small buff to the plants when placing either blue or red glass -one making them grow faster, the other giving them more yield- over them.

It may not seem believable, but it is a scientific fact. Here are some pages i found about how does the light color affect plants growth:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5185470_color-light-effect-plant-growth_.html

http://www.gardenguides.com/74951-colored-light-affect-plant-growth.html

Now, i admit that up there i made up some of the examples -i got the red light effect good, though-. Just, erase all that, now that i know this i won't ask for this. Instead, we could have a small buff to the plants when placing either blue or red glass -one making them grow faster, the other giving them more yield- over them.

Now THAT, Is friggen cool. Now that you streamlined it i totally agree.

Sorry I'm not saying more, super busy

Then is my idea accepted? If yes thank you! And a +1

I went on a trip to the NASA biotech labs down here in Florida, and the coolest part was the plant labs. They were testing red LEDs vs. white LEDs for growing plants in space. Turns out, many plants grow better with red light as opposed to white light (equal intensity), because they absorb a higher percentage of the light, and thus have more energy to grow.... and do. Also, the giant isolation chambers where they were running the controls for experiments currently running on the Space Station.

I know this post is sorta redundant, but it's just too cool not to share.

For a second i just derped and thought you said you were in the space. But yeah, well, thanks for some more backing for my personal suggestion here :3

Maybe you would need to keep bees or something to pollinate your crops. Or you could collect dung from animals and use it as fertilizer.

Old-fashioned fertilizers were usually a combination of bones/bonemeal and ash, usually potash (Hence it's usage in DF as fertilizer. Not saying we should necessarily use DF as a model for crops, but it's a fairly (I know this is a taboo word, but....) realistic fertilizer.

Potash is created by leaching various plant ashes in a pot full of water. Seriously. This concentrates the potassium to useful levels.

EDIT: A major source of potash was hardwoods. The techniques consisting of burning excess hardwood not needed for fuel/construction down into ash, which is used to make lye, which is boiled down into potash. A multi-stage, lengthy process which yielded enough to be useful, but only after significant investment of time into it's manufacture.

Also, since lye would necessarily be needed for this....

lye + tallow = soap

Or, if you prefer,

lye + oil = soap

If we ever have a use for soap.

Deleted.

See, drives you nuts eh?! ;)

I'm really liking the amount of ideas being generated in this thread :)

OFF TOPIC: Why wont this forum let me change my profile picture? I've tried on multiple comps and it wont work.

Deleted.

See, drives you nuts eh?! ;)

I'm really liking the amount of ideas being generated in this thread :)

OFF TOPIC: Why wont this forum let me change my profile picture? I've tried on multiple comps and it wont work.

well what kind of file is it, i think it can only accept .jpg .png and .gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0