Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JackZaitsev

Latest Changes to Chests...

41 posts in this topic

Beta v2 Build 5? (Unreleased)

New Features

The inventory size mechanic has undergone a further revamp. Each item now has a size and weight defined for it. Some inventories may have weight requirements in the future(such as bags) wherein they can’t hold items over a maximum weight and already the chest has a maximum size of Small. There are currently three Weight classes: Light/4, Medium/2, Heavy/1. Weight applies a modifier to the stack size determined by the items’ size(which now only represents the item bulkiness). Ex: Item A is Large and Heavy. Large tells us that the stack size is 4 and Heavy says the multiplier is 1. (4 * 1 = 4) so Item A would stack to 4. If Item B is Large and Light it would be (4 * 4 = 16), so Item B would stack to 16. Hopefully this is explained well enough.

so guys i'am kinda dumb because i did not get this at all!

someone can explain this change to me? (i know you guys didnt see it either but my english is bad so must be some language limitation...

and since we are here what do you think of the latest changes to the inventory and chests?

would love to read your opinions...

cheers

Sh*t just got real! Bioxx has added weight to TFC. Ballsy!

Basically what it means is the amount something stacks to takes in account both size and weight. So something that's large and heavy stacks to four, but something that's large and light stacks to 16. Make sense? :)

Sh*t just got real! Bioxx has added weight to TFC. Ballsy!

Heh. Imagine the QQing if a 1m cube of granite or any other stone (except maybe pumice) was made anywhere near as heavy as it would be in actuality. No one would be able to lift and carry even one of them. And before this erupts into yet another pissy debate over the dreaded R word, let's see how it's implemented and if balancing factors like railroads or carts might come into play for large scale mining and building. Looking forward to the changes.

No one would be able to lift and carry even one of them.

Just because you change to a weight system, doesn't mean it has to be a realistic weight system.

I'd just like to point out that chests won't be able to hold logs, cobblestone, and likely several other things, probably not even some of the tools, due to the "small" limitation.

Logs and cobblestone are small Draco. The will still be stored in chests.

Chests have been increased to Medium size now.

Logs and cobblestone are small Draco. The will still be stored in chests.

Ah, ok. I was thinking they were medium.

In any case. I haven't messed with the latest version yet. The new size-stacking code will make things more...consistent (provided that items are assigned the proper size and weight). But I do worry about things that have been primarily "general use" before now having no options (e.g. chests limited to small, with tools as medium means you couldn't store a hammer in a chest for only when you need it).

What items are classified as large and huge?

read the changelog carefully: there will probably be more ways to store stuff very soon to make the non storable items storable again.

Just because you change to a weight system, doesn't mean it has to be a realistic weight system.

And, I think we can say that the developers are going for playability over realism. In fact, I just came across this in the FAQ:

Is TFC trying to be as realistic as possible?

No, the aim of TFC is to bring some much needed believability to Minecraft. This means that sometimes realism is compromised for the sake of gameplay whiel still trying to present a world that feels real.

Yay :). Now if we can just get them to spell "while" correctly :)

I like this mostly because it will necessitate(in my mind) better methods of transportation for large/bulky items in the future to remain fun. Also unique storage modes for certain items which will be more efficient(I hope).

Heh. Imagine the QQing if a 1m cube of granite or any other stone (except maybe pumice) was made anywhere near as heavy as it would be in actuality. No one would be able to lift and carry even one of them. And before this erupts into yet another pissy debate over the dreaded R word, let's see how it's implemented and if balancing factors like railroads or carts might come into play for large scale mining and building. Looking forward to the changes.

I wouldn't want to consider mining or doing anything without some automation features if that became true. I still miss BTW's platforms and pulleys.

And even if rail became the way to mine, how would you get the iron for the rails without mining first? ;)

*snip* I still miss BTW's platforms and pulleys.

me too (T_T)

And even if rail became the way to mine, how would you get the iron for the rails without mining first? ;)

well it won't be impossible to lift iron of course!! the quantity you will be able to carry on your own will just become less.

I haven't tried it out yet...there is no weight limit for steve's inventory yet is there?

i really hope there will be (together with the introduction of other transportation means like carts or animals or rails or sth of course....)...

No, just no. There should never be Realistic weight for steves backpack. This is not a simulator, that would completely destroy the game.

well he should get "upgrades" ...like backpacks n stuff to carry more stuff...because if he doesn't and it stays the way it is...

why bother even adding a weight system...there's no point to it...except for messing up storage...

"oh chest can only hold medium stuff! well let's have steve carry all the heavy and big stuff on his own and place the light and small stuff in chests!!!!"

umm....sense?!

well he should get "upgrades" ...like backpacks n stuff to carry more stuff...because if he doesn't and it stays the way it is...

why bother even adding a weight system...there's no point to it...except for messing up storage...

"oh chest can only hold medium stuff! well let's have steve carry all the heavy and big stuff on his own and place the light and small stuff in chests!!!!"

umm....sense?!

Steve's a tough guy. He can take it.

Also, I get the feeling that the addition of size limits for chests is probably a preliminary step to adding additional pile blocks (ala the log piles).

This is what i understand from that changelog:

Posted Image

So we can have 256 items per stack????

No, just no. There should never be Realistic weight for steves backpack. This is not a simulator, that would completely destroy the game.

Yes, omg yes! More realism, better simulation! All games are simulations, and Minecraft is an especially good simulation that happens to have lots of room for improvement. If you don't like simulation or realism why not go play industrial craft and get some magical teleporting pipes to carry all your gear crafted from "recycled" dirt? There are probably thousands of Minecraft mods that aren't TFC that ignore realism and simulation that you could go patronize.

It's bad simulation that a player can carry literally tons of worthless dirt and stone at once. Limiting the player's carrying capacity can be replaced by implementing solutions, like pack animals, wagons, railcarts, villager slaves, barges or other logistical infrastructure. I imagine limiting player carrying capacity might also be one of the mechanisms that will help encourage economic activities on servers, along with scarcity and sparsity.

Posted Image

That's what I'd say, too. I'm not sure if the changelog means to imply a general maximum of 64, though...

I like the idea of having bigger items need their own kind of storage, like log piles. Maybe a cobblestone block should be a number of rocks, similarly to log piles? It's Minecraft after all, I don't think we should realistically store stone.

However, I think storage blocks like chests should ignore weight. Makes sense, eh? I like that idea more, too: Add a fourth weight factor, "chest", and make it... 4, 6, or 8 or whatever. Chests will always have big stack sizes, giving them an actual sense. Then, they wouldn't even need to be bigger again.

For organizing purposes, I'd like to see different kinds of storage blocks that help me see from afar what's inside while also being an aesthetical component: A blacksmith's house with ingot stacks lying around, food baskets in the marketplace, tool blueprints in a bookshelf. Blueprints are kinda large, too... How about a TFC-specific kind of book where we can put blueprints in? Select the active recipe by right-clicking and browsing, treat the book as that recipe at the anvil. Should have an "Opened page: Axe" tag in that case...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't have to be iron that makes rails. Throw down some copper railing. Considering the carts aren't the size of a locomotive, weaker metals should support them just fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't have to be iron that makes rails. Throw down some copper railing. Considering the carts aren't the size of a locomotive, weaker metals should support them just fine.

I wonder if you could have just the single kind of rails, but they can be crafted from a variety of materials, with higher-quality materials resulting in higher-efficiency recipes.

Maybe you could make some rails with tier 0 metals and only get like 8 rails per recipe (compared to the 64 for vMC iron/wrought iron), but make them out of a variety of steel and maybe you get 96.

This could also apply to other things like iron bars (the fence-like item) and whatnot, but that's probably getting off-topic.

Posted Image

i guess there will still be the 64 cap on everything...

For organizing purposes, I'd like to see different kinds of storage blocks that help me see from afar what's inside while also being an aesthetical component: A blacksmith's house with ingot stacks lying around, food baskets in the marketplace, tool blueprints in a bookshelf.

i think that kind of system was already confirmed...no?

I think so, I just meant to say I like the idea and to give some examples. Also, you're from Germany, too? You just keep on meeting our kind on MC mods forums! :D

I may have some bad news for you....

Alright fine dunk, it's not my mod. But I'm trusting you not to fuck up! ...no pressure ;).