Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Say "NO" to Near-Indestructable Purple Rocks (obsidian as it should've been)

65 posts in this topic

ok so we all know that water + lava does not = nigh indestructable purple rock,

obsidian, in real life, is a glassy, easily fragmented material formed from magma when it cools under certain conditions, its more like flint than anything else

so maybe, in volcanic areas obsidian peices would be generated like the rocks on the ground, you can pick them up and use them for arrow heads, (like native americans did), sharpen it into a knife, or maybe use it for something in later tech teirs

just my thoughts on the matter, feel free to add any comments, questions, concerns, or Striped Worms.

Well, we could have obsidian flows that come from volcanoes or volcanic crags/fissures instead of just some loose rocks. But other than that, +1

and here's a striped worm

Posted Image

I will assume that you want to remove the vanilla water and lava reaction, don't you? Other than that, there is nothing else i can point out here : so yeah, a +1 to the idea.

I say arrange 3 sticks down the center of a crafting grid with 6 'obsidian flakes' to get the brittle-yet-punishing maquahuitl

Posted Image

We could definitely use more stone age weapons, like atlatls, and other stone agey stuff.

If Bioxx would let me I'd actually really like to make a weapons pack add-on for TFC, but I don't know how he feels about add-ons, or if he has plans to add all these weapons to TFC proper.

I think Dunk said Bioxx wanted to keep the TFC code between himself and Dunk, that he didn't wanted to have add ons for now. I THINK

ok, I kind of assumed that was the case, so I had never put much stock in the idea. I just kind of had the thought a few days ago, and was like "hmm, that might be fun to do." So yeah, that makes sense, maybe I'll end up making my own stand-alone weapons mod one day, we'll see. If I ever get over the laziness factor :P

Just make it forge compatible and require ore from this mod and it should be good

Yeah, maybe, I won't have time for it until I finish applying for college though*, so I'll just wait and see where bioxx and dunk go with things.

* I swear this is gonna drive me insane, so much work, and so many colleges and universities to choose from D:

Yeah, maybe, I won't have time for it until I finish applying for college though*, so I'll just wait and see where bioxx and dunk go with things.

* I swear this is gonna drive me insane, so much work, and so many colleges and universities to choose from D:

dont sweat it, its nothing compared to qualifying exams & grant writing (in a PHD program).

I say arrange 3 sticks down the center of a crafting grid with 6 'obsidian flakes' to get the brittle-yet-punishing maquahuitl

Posted Image

maquahuitl's should be added.

maquahuitl's should be added.

So, you post, not even to say you like the OP, but to say that you like a response to the OP?

most useful post ever ._.

Obsidian apparently is weaker than glass, so to be slightly more realistic, yes obsidian should be easily breakable. The interaction with water/lava though, I'm not so sure. I don't know how you would make obsidian otherwise.

^ Don't use the "R" word. Ever. Next, what purpose does obsidian actually server? i mean really, besides maybe some new weapons and the non-existent hell portals, what good would it be? obsidian is a weak, brittle material. After one use of the a fore mentioned weapon, whose name i am to lazy to look up, on a hard object, it'll break (thank you Deadliest Warrior).

^ Don't use the "R" word. Ever. Next, what purpose does obsidian actually server? i mean really, besides maybe some new weapons and the non-existent hell portals, what good would it be? obsidian is a weak, brittle material. After one use of the a fore mentioned weapon, whose name i am to lazy to look up, on a hard object, it'll break (thank you Deadliest Warrior).

arrowheads sir, arrowheads

also, even though it is brittle, that makes it easily fractured into extremely sharp facets, like flint but better

yeah, but it would do beast damage

we're talkin 5 hearts, with maybe 10 durability if that

Yeah I'd like water + lava to equal one of the igneous rocks we have in the game, like basalt. I like obsidian though, so maybe we could just incorporate it as a real rock and make it as destructible as other rocks...? (but obsidian bricks are sorta out on that)

I say make a new obsidian found near igneous rocks that has a VERY good blast resistance, as a tip of the hat to vanilla obby, but not quite enough for invulnerability. That way, its less about 'real obby' arguments and more about 'hey, this works, but its a little too much. Lets give you all something useful, but not abusive'

Playability is my vote on this.

Im fairly sure though that my thoughts dont really matter, most people I see in these arguments are so far into the 'real' aspect of obsidian that they would turn this 'met halfway' idea down on principle.

and yes, I call obsidian 'Obby'. Deal ;P

Yeah I'd like water + lava to equal one of the igneous rocks we have in the game, like basalt. I like obsidian though, so maybe we could just incorporate it as a real rock and make it as destructible as other rocks...? (but obsidian bricks are sorta out on that)

Perhaps when mined, obsidian rocks drop 5-15 'obsidian chips' which can be used as arrowheads?

Sticking a circular rock at the tip of an arrow seems a bit silly, idk...

im with ecc on this one. i really need a blast resistant house because i held the record for creeper huggles on jed's server. i even managed to break the game a few times by trying to hug a creeper over an anvil.........

also as much as I want things to be realistic, gameplay will always come first in my heart. and i think obsidian bricks would look really cool...........

im with ecc on this one. i really need a blast resistant house because i held the record for creeper huggles on jed's server. i even managed to break the game a few times by trying to hug a creeper over an anvil.........

also as much as I want things to be realistic, gameplay will always come first in my heart. and i think obsidian bricks would look really cool...........

but but, why would you need to fear creepers unless you built your house either on a creeper infested isle or in an underground dungeon?

Because...

Why WOULDN'T you? I mean it provides the biggest challenge ever, and the reward of being 'most badass on server'

Plus you know... The tnt.

everywhere i walk becomes creeper infused. this is why i need a house that is purple and cannot be blown up. Why purple, you ask? My answer: Because.

everywhere i walk becomes creeper infused. this is why i need a house that is purple and cannot be blown up. Why purple, you ask? My answer: Because.

welll....make it out of some indesrtuctable purple metal?

'cause obsidian is neither purple or strong, if anything its like halfway between stone and glass,so not very blast resistant

the new mob spawn system completely negates this, your point is invalid.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0