Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JR95649

Wood/Logs

37 posts in this topic

the issue with it disappearing is the fact this is a SMP mod, and servers, well the ones that are predominantly played on are dedicated and run days on end. If something disappears, you run into issues with the player base calling it a bug, complaining that thier house vanished, and other effects that just drive people insane. I would much rather worry about it collapsing the instant i walk in then having to come back and find it all gone, and a dozen chests floating mid air.

also, correct me if im wrong, but it takes YEARS for wood to decay to the point of being unrecognizable except in VERY hostile conditions. this gos for treated and untreated wood. a wood in a condemned house is still there, just liable to fall from under you.

Yes, but also the plants need some weeks to grow, the charcoal needs some days to be create, the trees need years to grow, but all this happens in a bit of hours because it's a game and a man can't wait years only to see a block falling, because this has no sense. It's not fun.

thats why I suggested falling blocks, not decaying ones. plus... as an added bonus, falling blocks can be made into cheep defenses around your cities. Pit traps are rather useful and by using bad wood you can make use of them inside your home. Suddenly, your house can be safe, at the cost of being condemned! :D

A rotting mechanic would actually be quite interesting if done right.

I would ONLY support this, though, if there was a wood repair mechanic for nonrenewable wood like sequoia.

Sequoia is a hard wood and resists rot fairly well on its own. It has too, as they go though hell thought their eminence lifetimes. I guess what could be done is those woods though they show damage they dont have the same effects? give them a buff so that people will choose between leaving a forest or having the damn best house. Give me, a tree hugging blonde, a reason to clear cut.

Well, there's also a certain charm in continuing to maintain ones home even after it's built.

Perhaps the decay time should be configurable, to account for the amount of time that passes on 24/7 servers.

Yes, configurable. The more options, the better received anything in minecraft is. Generally.... Dont call it a rule. lol

Well, this is what makes the game interesting. It doesnt take long to dry out wood for 1/2 a day to build a permenant home. You have more than enough time to go out chop down trees and build you strong wooden home with normal logs. Most people who play usually consult a wiki anyway, I know i did!.

I do not think that the wood should be repairable, but only the Sequia and the other tree that cannot be regrown should look degraded to a point that looks ugly. The home would be permanent but ugly looking. This would be the price you pay for using the tree without drying.

But as i say you will also have to remember that the blocks, yes they may dissappear but you have got to bare in mind that they produce a byproduct called Moss Balls. This will be obtainable only by metal knives, because i feel that getting yourself the ability to build a Ghillie suit from leather armour ( If you look in my earlier posts ) is more than enough of a reason for it to decay.

Please consider this in mind. I know servers will be on 24/7 but im also thinking about the people like myself who play on a Home Server and its only on when we play on it. Its not just fair to think of SMP when there are also SSP players.

By creating this idea, i hope it will give more of a challange and more reward for the earlier, harsher time in TFCraft. Knowing that your house will degrade within 40 minecraft days reinforces the player to think of that nothing lasts forever and you must constantly progress and move forward in the ages.

You must look at the comments that have been put before and think, well this blocks going to dissappear soon, if i get a metal knife i can use this to make a Ghillie suit to protect myself from mobs a little better.

But thank you all for putting your ideas forward, this thread is getting more attention than i thought in the first place, I know some ideas cant please everyone, but as far as this idea goes, this would be a suggession that implements progression with rewards.

=)

Its not just fair to think of SMP when there are also SSP players.

This is the single bone I have to pick with your post. Dunk and Bioxx have stated that they are now developing for SMP, not SSP. Therefore, it is quite fair to only think of SMP. I say this as a guy who almost exclusively plays SSP.

Somehow, This post didnt show, so Im rewriting it...

I am an avid SSP player, and have been playing it as much as I play multiplayer. The change I mentioned, would support MP play fully, while also not causing harm to SSP users. One rock, two problems. What do you do?

I hit my face on so many walls of text in this thread that I must look like a pug dog by now.

Hopefully I didn't miss this anywhere in here, but freshly cut lumber is refered to as green, not wet. So if anyrhing mzybe stages like green then cured. Also, green lumber doesn't really look different than cured/dry lumber, however what does happen when you place it without curing it is a tendancy to warp or twist or both, as well as splitting and cracking if it dries to rapidly.

Wood rott, I duno about this, firsly its something the server would have to track for every wood block, including the trees if you really wanted it done right. That's a lot of clock cycles. There are ways it could work ok-ish but still, the server and the network connections don't really need one more function to keep track of. And beyond that I can't see it as being anyhing but an annoying "feature" that eats houses. It could work ok but in my mind at least I see way more conns to pros.

Unless you are in a swamp or the biome equivalent of Seattle, I don't see how the wood would rot fast enough to matter. Unless the bacteria of the game are just that hardcore. Though in that case I'd be more worried that -> I <- would start rotting at expedient rates. That said, methods of collecting and using moss is kind of cool. I especially enjoyed the mossy leather armor. Raiders on pvp servers would have a viable and relatively simple choice when preparing for raids.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0