Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bsb23

Grass

71 posts in this topic

Just a small thing but I figured it was too big for the metathread but only barely.

I want a lawn.

We can only break grass right now but if we allowed the scythe to cut the grass down to a shorter length it would look much nicer. This would mean grass would need to look different otherwise this would still look like crap. Rather than just an x what about an actual sort of hash pattern the more hashes the better.

This is the part where it doesn't belong in the metathread. Remove grass blocks, have dirt with grass on top act like grass blocks, make it harder to run through tall grass, allow grass to be trampled, allow grass to be eaten (by animals).

Added bonuses if they were easy to code; variations of grass area to area, variation of grass textures so two grass sitting next to each other won't be exactly the same, allow grass to grow multiple blocks tall.

I understand this won't be high priority but from my understanding its pretty easy to code. Although I'm not the one coding it so.

ooh, me gusta, I would really like to see an overgrown plains biome with some thick, tall grass, lowering visibility. This could open up all sorts of possibilities, such as critters lurking in the grass, nearly invisible, making plains dangerous.

Might as well add that the hit box of grass is only the size of placed redstone. I am tired of fighting mobs and getting nothing but seed. also, grass can grow to player height(or higher?)

i think you guys might want to take a look at the WIldGrass mod, discontinued a while ago, the mechanics were quite good

I looked at that a while back, wanted it, but it was not updated. Perhaps it can be somewhat integrated in tfc?

Bioxx already talked to me about different grass lengths

Bioxx already talked to me about different grass lengths

Can't... like... this... enough... @_@

Can't... like... this... enough... @_@

that poor like button was mashed into a blue pulp

He probably has 16 notifications between me and JAG... hahhaah

It would be neat if grass only spread if cultivated (planted and cared for) or if the grass matured enough to seed and spread, instead of how it just randomly spreads now.

He probably has 16 notifications between me and JAG... hahhaah

in fact i continually clicked that button for a complete minute, so i don't think he's gonna have only 16... :P

I would like to see ash or bonemeal useful in encouraging grass growth but making it possible to overfertilize an area and kill off the grass or change the block type at least temporarily to the dead grass that you see in drought areas. Also, the ability to patch up the drought areas into the better healthier grass would be nice. Going to throw a hear hear to the idea of implementing some of the former wildgrass mod's functions into TFC.

Along with lawns you can have those pesky weeds that can invade your crops if you are not careful, also mabye some weeds can be edible, but have a chance to poison you. Yummy nightshade Uh oh.....*Dies*

Along with lawns you can have those pesky weeds that can invade your crops if you are not careful, also mabye some weeds can be edible, but have a chance to poison you. Yummy nightshade Uh oh.....*Dies*

Amidst the weeds could be thistles... we could get delicious artichokes this way.

Amidst the weeds could be thistles... we could get delicious artichokes this way.

mmmmmmmm..... artichoke hearts

Posted Image

The changing of grass being an X formation of two textures to a hash pattern of four textures essentially doubles the graphic impact of grass. Which currently isn't much of an issue in the game, but isn't really necessary for large fields to look nice like they already do. This is only really wanted for small patches of grass anyway.

Patches of grass with the hash formation could be a sign of higher fertility, perhaps even indicating how good the soil is underneath them. It would provide a bit of transparency to the farming process without giving hard numbers. The process of having grass grow back over a field would take some time, so it's not a perfect tool you can use all the time.

The changing of grass being an X formation of two textures to a hash pattern of four textures essentially doubles the graphic impact of grass. Which currently isn't much of an issue in the game, but isn't really necessary for large fields to look nice like they already do. This is only really wanted for small patches of grass anyway.

Patches of grass with the hash formation could be a sign of higher fertility, perhaps even indicating how good the soil is underneath them. It would provide a bit of transparency to the farming process without giving hard numbers. The process of having grass grow back over a field would take some time, so it's not a perfect tool you can use all the time.

As much as I LOVE this idea, isn't it then a bit limiting? Now we not only need to farm near already-spawned water, but we need to choose fertile bits as well? Water isn't hard to find, and fertile land probably wouldn't be hard to find... but fertile land next to water? That's the same difficulty squared.

now, adjust the coding such that fertile land has a higher chance to spawn near water? Then you might have something...

Maybe grass could even grow seed pods when super tall, free seed without destroying grass...

Next stop: Off Thee Rails!

I like!

you do know theres this wonderous device called the "like" button on the right so you dont have to make silly posts like this

oh and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

http://uxmovement.co...ing-users-down/

You are right but we may want to avoid the like button... unless we are in a derailment :P

but the thing is, these are forums, not a youtube video

but the thing is, these are forums, not a youtube video

In this forum it technically applies even more, because here we are supposed to analize what we read and post pros or cons we find to it, which takes focus and reflexion, so the suggestions Dunk and Bioxx can find in a moment of need are not just a thousand "insert random shit" threads. In this case, then, unless there is really nothing to say but "i like it" or "i don't like it", we should avoid to press it and leave when we can contribute :

unless we are in a derailment :P

Aren't we always?