Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Treyflix

Three part food solution!

15 posts in this topic

FOOD, its on all of our minds, the big word (along with sex). Food is pretty darn important, amiright? Well, it's important in TFC too. Unlike in vanilla, TFC takes a very beliveible aproach to food. as in, its hard to get and you get a feeling of acomplishment when you do. "Treyflix!" you say, "why are you stating the obvious? we all know TFC kicks ass and Vanilla sucks!" well I'm bringing this up to bring to your attention a rather big hole in the fabric of TFC's awesomeness.

Diet in real life is varied. if it isnt, you suffer for it. but in minecraft, you cn just chug down a steak and be done with it. Thats right, I'm gettin' to the meat of this topic!

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Why grow a orchard, make bread, eat veggies, go hunting deer, or snag eggs from unsuspecting chickens when you can just go out and slay a couple of walking meat cartons and have a huge surplus of the best food in the game. You're pretty much set for a really long time once you go on a cow slauhtering rampage.

In order to adress this problem, I have a two pronged solution:

Domestication (relitivly simple)

Savanahs (lmedium complication)

NUTRITION (rocket science :D)

For tonight, I'm just going to start with the Domestication part :).

First off (I use the phrase "first off" a lot in case you can't tell) food mobs are EVERYWHERE. I mean really, there is no challenge in aquiring food when you have conveinently tamed animals walking around every few feet.

this completly destroys ANY CHALLENGE of aquiring food. SO, how about this:

1: animals are shy. I'm thinking something really akin to the Ocelot mechanics in Vanilla. If you want to tame them you have to hold out wheat and walk really slowly with no sudden movements, then feed them. it should take several times for it to take properly before the animal becomes tame.

2: Differant animals should travel in herds. akin to clay, it takes a while to find them, but once you do you should be set for a little while.

3: if you hurt/kill a animal in a herd, the other herd members shouldnt just sit there complacently. They should freak out too. and by freak out I don't mean run around in circles and end up in the same spot, I'm talking full on STAMPEDE! run in one direction for a while, and fast. This should make hunting a much more challenging and interactive experience in stead of just "punch cow, bang rock!"

4: different climates spawn different wild versions of the current barn animals.

Plains spawn Bison (cow like animal) and prarie grouse (chicken like animal).

Forest spawns ruffed grouse and moose. (moose milk anyone?)

Savanah (I know this doesnt exist, I'll do that suggestion later!) water buffalo. wild boars.

Jungle: Jungle fowls :D (actuall ancestor of the chicken)

Seuoia/mountains: Elk! :D

artic: Yaks! these should double as meat/milk AND wool. or, err triple haha.

This is the biggest work in progress part, I can;\'t think of many sheep like animals besides mountain goats. I'm mainly just trying to get this idea OUT.

5: the different "wild" animals should be tame able into nice placid breedable livestock. they dont just magically turn into cows/chickens/pigs/sheep, they are "domesticated X"

6: varied rareity/qualities/habits/tame-ability of the different wild animals found in different climates.

Ok guys, thats it for tonight. this is a work in progress, this is mainly just a public template for now. I'll add the savanah and nutrition parts soon so right now just feel free to help me brainstorm the domestication. it's late and im rambling so I better just shut up!

Cheers :D

Variety, something that of all mods out there this comes the closest. Yet it lacks mob life and mechanics. Im for this. but dont have anything worth adding.

You know, a while ago i made a suggestion about changes to animal behaviour in Minecraft.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/853-natures-might/page__fromsearch__1

Telling you this because i'm against this suggestion? Nope, telling you this because it could help a lt in here, if applied to the mobs you ask for :3

Oh, and for variationbs for the sheeps: LLAMA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llama

It's used for wool as well. It's mountanious. And i like llamas :3.

Thanks ECC! And sweet JAG, I knew I could count on you!

Ima be gone this weekend and won't be online at all, so be patient for me to update this thread! Haha. Well, I MIGHT be online but we will see.

umm..i agree on the animal behaviour part...but the animal variety part is kinda...unnecessary already...because there are pretty many thready about adding more wildlife diversity!!

but dunk is coding all those animals on his own so it would take a shitload of time...

therefore right now the animals that are added are not just optically different from vanilla but are actually completely different animal types he did confirm horses..(kinda) which would make for an interesting gameplay addition.

I'm not against you guys..i would also love to see this!! I just know that it's not gonna happen anytime soon (the diversity part! don't remember if dunk ever said sth about the behaviour) because even if dunk wanted to do it...there's still other stuff to do..and adding optical variety is not that important!

and don't hate me because i say what you are suggesting is only an optical change!! i know there could be different behaviours and everything...but when you look at the very core of this stuff....it's just for looks/atmosphere

It's always annoyed me that I can basically just follow along with the pig or cow as they run in circles while I cut their head off. Having the simple animal stampede away sounds like a pretty badass idea. For the more skittish animals like deer, you could make it where very close proximity normally causes them to run, and if you manage to hurt them then they run even at medium to long range, which would make ranged hunting a must.

-snip-

Well, that's true. Thinking about it, the variety side of the suggestion is more of an aesthetics change than anything else. Dunk confirmed there will be something you have to domesticate to convert into cows, pigs and stuff. Let's just see what he adds, and hope for more variety later.

The behaviour changes, on the other hand, stand. just wandering around doing nothing is not what a mob should be doing when talking about a believable mod. A mob should be fighting for keeping alive.

Oh, and about the ranged hunting thing... we already start with that, javelins still travel pretty far you know :

The behaviour changes, on the other hand, stand. just wandering around doing nothing is not what a mob should be doing when talking about a believable mod. A mob should be fighting for keeping alive.

Oh, and about the ranged hunting thing... we already start with that, javelins still travel pretty far you know :

first part:

like i said already: totally agreed!!!

javelins:

well...seeing how far people can throw real live javelins...it's not that bad!!

screw that..i was thinking about modern sports javelins (which fly sth like 100m) but obviousyl hunting javelins were limited to about 20 meters to work effectively.

the accuracy should maybe be lowered a bit tho...the hard thing is not to throw a javelin at a far away target....but to HIT the target with it!!

Javelins.. I have one issue from them... They bounce off the mob and hit me D:

wish they would just stick in the enemy and drop when its killed. Realistic, believable, and No more combat suicides.

what about emu's? Perhaps an alternate source of feathers? (I think it was the emu that was a large flightless bird similar to an ostrage)

Javelins.. I have one issue from them... They bounce off the mob and hit me D:

wish they would just stick in the enemy and drop when its killed. Realistic, believable, and No more combat suicides.

what about emu's? Perhaps an alternate source of feathers? (I think it was the emu that was a large flightless bird similar to an ostrage)

emu's feather are more like hair, don't think they will be useful here xD

"Nandu" is what you meant :3

Tbh, any bird added should drop feathers naturally rather then on death. ha

Like this. I would still be using it, but either the chickens reverted back to vanilla, and lost whatever Bioxx goodness they had, or they stopped dropping their feathers because that mod was made for vanilla chickens. I forget which it was. And mumble last update mumble mumble 1.2.5 mumble...

"Differant animals should travel in herds. akin to clay,"

lol

Still, I agree with everything. The way different animals work you could likely breed the different traits... though honestly why would you need to breed anything but the most meaty beasts.

"why are you stating the obvious? we all know TFC kicks ass and Vanilla sucks!"

I stopped reading there because I knew it couldn't get any better :D

I stopped reading there because I knew it couldn't get any better :D

:D. I'm having a really good day. I'll work on this a bunch more on monday after I get back from business and finish up some of my writing projects. Look forward to it!