Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trepnick

Agriculture Tweaks

12 posts in this topic

Agriculture, I think we can agree, could use a few improvements. My suggestion is that the wild plants spawn in the world naturally, then you can dig them up and replant them in your own fields, and when they grow in farmland and you dig them up, you get "cultivated" seeds, that produce more crop and are slightly quicker growing. I think this would add a new dimension to the agriculture mechanic that is sorely needed: depth of play. The other suggestion I have for agriculture is that currently we get ink from squid, which is unrealistic and sometimes difficult with the larger biomes. Early inks were derived from plants and minerals, both of which would make for good ink sources in TFC and could be integrated into existing mechanics fairly easily, I believe. Having better sources for ink could also lead to new mechanics such as writing. Integrating agriculture into other parts of the mod adds a fair bit to the realism factor, in my opinion.

Psst, dont say the R word here. the wildife tends to... attack. I've got scars to prove it.

Plants grow in wild: I just talked about that in the metathread. hahah

Inks: Yes, yes, yes. Berries were a primary source of dye if i remember correctly, and charcoal, lead, and graphite was used for marking

Agriculture, I think we can agree, could use a few improvements. My suggestion is that the wild plants spawn in the world naturally, then you can dig them up and replant them in your own fields, and when they grow in farmland and you dig them up, you get "cultivated" seeds, that produce more crop and are slightly quicker growing. I think this would add a new dimension to the agriculture mechanic that is sorely needed: depth of play. The other suggestion I have for agriculture is that currently we get ink from squid, which is unrealistic and sometimes difficult with the larger biomes. Early inks were derived from plants and minerals, both of which would make for good ink sources in TFC and could be integrated into existing mechanics fairly easily, I believe. Having better sources for ink could also lead to new mechanics such as writing. Integrating agriculture into other parts of the mod adds a fair bit to the realism factor, in my opinion.

This is already confirmed. Well, the wild plants thing anyway.

It might be interesting to be able to use crops as a source for dyes, too, maybe related to the plant-based ink, Red and yellow are plentiful, but what about the other colors?

Removing ink sacs from squids entirely might be a bad idea unless the plants needed could be harvested straight from the wild. Otherwise, SSP will literally be unplayable past stone age until, what was it, like 80 hours in or something? I know SSP isn't the focus, but this would basically remove it as an option.

Removing ink sacs from squids entirely might be a bad idea unless the plants needed could be harvested straight from the wild. Otherwise, SSP will literally be unplayable past stone age until, what was it, like 80 hours in or something? I know SSP isn't the focus, but this would basically remove it as an option.

I don't think it would be bad to have something gathered from multiple sources. Crops could be a more efficient means of gathering something from the wild, or alternatively less efficient depending on the original source.

EDIT: Since this is about agriculture tweaks, what's the likelihood we could craft fertilizers to speed crop growth, or replenish nutrients in the soil of a given area?

Rotten Flesh from zombies would be an obvious component, since it gives an actual reason to kill zombies. Since there are rumblings about skeletons and zombies no longer spawning randomly for the most part, this would make locating a crypt or mausoleum for zombies a priority if you want to get a good start to farming. Bonemeal from skeletons could be another component, or the two could be interchangeable.

I don't think it would be bad to have something gathered from multiple sources. Crops could be a more efficient means of gathering something from the wild, or alternatively less efficient depending on the original source.

EDIT: Since this is about agriculture tweaks, what's the likelihood we could craft fertilizers to speed crop growth, or replenish nutrients in the soil of a given area?

Rotten Flesh from zombies would be an obvious component, since it gives an actual reason to kill zombies. Since there are rumblings about skeletons and zombies no longer spawning randomly for the most part, this would make locating a crypt or mausoleum for zombies a priority if you want to get a good start to farming. Bonemeal from skeletons could be another component, or the two could be interchangeable.

Well you could go the runescape route... toss a bunch of organic shit (bad food, seeds you don't need, spare bits of wood, etc..) into a pile, add some time, and get fertilizer. Use exclusively nutrient-rich things (fruit, meat, bonemeal, rotten flesh, etc...) to get supercompost instead.

Treat farming patches with compost to boost their nutrient value, or treat them with supercompost to boost the value further, reset the 'rotation' of crops (so anything can be planted), and possibly even activate a boolean switch that adds +5% growth speed or something small like that

This actually is probably a better place for my potash suggestion than the greenhouses threads, so:

Potash. For fertilizer. It gets it's name because the ash from the burning logs (Sourced from hardwoods) is thrown into a pot of water in order to leach out the potassium, and the the water is poured into a iron drying pan/pot and allowed to dry, leaving a whitish crust of "pot ash", which can then be used as fertilizer. I'm fairly certain that glazed ceramics could also be used as a drying pot, but I get the feeling that this is a good enough fertilizer that we don't want it available until the player leaves the stone age.

I think an iron pot would have to be cast, not forged, in order to be usable for this process, so we need some sort of casting method- probably sandcasting with ceramic molds.

Honestly, there has been farming of many types well before metal was a requirement for it. I see no reason that a person should have to be progressed beyond the stone age to be a simple farmer who wants to fertilize his crops properly. Either that, or let me throw my own reclaimed waste on my plants. As much meat as my Steve eats it'll be a hearty mixture indeed.

Well, it's mostly because I'm fairly sure a ceramic pot would absorb a lot of the potassium, at least for the first few batches of potash, and the two types of glaze are ash and tin, the simpler of the two (to make and use) being tin glaze. Feel free to correct me on this, I'm not 100% clear on how ash glaze is made.

What i'm think about it:

1. We need Ash from burning logs in fire-pit.

2. After some working on it... maybe by "drop" it in water bucket (combine in craft table 8 ash surrounding water bucket) - take a potash and bucket with lye (i'm think about 3 potash).

2.a. Lye may be usable for making soap ))) or something else.

2.b. Glass mechanic may be reworked - after heating sand we must take a green glass (very dirt and ugly type of glass).

2.b.1. After mixing potash and sand we must receive potashed sand - and this after heating must give us a glass.

3. After that we must combine 3 bone meal, 3 potash and 3 rotten flash (layer by layer on crafting table) - and we get 9 fertilizer.

4. fertilizer may be used on soil to replenish nutrients level of them. May be usable as many as soil can hold in it, but not usable if nutrients level too full.

..... what about glass mechanic and soap??? ;)

P.S. What about use quern to receive bone meal? Two way what i can see there: 1. Bone meal only with quern. 2. More bone meal if using a quern.

or... we may heat potash to receive a pearlash... and that use to mix with sand (i'm think dirty ashed sand pile as item will be look fine for that).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0