Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ECC

Packs and Inventory management

28 posts in this topic

Well, Im going to try and make this topic. Its probably going to end badly, but c'est la vie ;D

this is a loose idea, and I think that feedback should change it.

Player Inv:

The player inventory as it stands is huge and really does not feel like it fits with this mod. You can instantly hold every item you would ever need in it and could survive on whats in it indefinitely without effort beyond initial resources. Also, as a 'bonus' there is no restriction to it. The player inv for all intents and purposes is entirely overpowered. Should this idea be considered, lets restrict the Players inv to the following:

Posted Image

7 'gear' slots

-Helm(1)

-Chest(2)

-Leggings(3)

-Boots(4)

-Pack(5)

--All packs are 'Huge' size

--Items in this slot Display on the Back of the charicter

-Quiver(6)

--Quivers need Improvement. GIVE FEEDBACK

-Purse(7)

--Items in this slot display on the side of the character

--All purses are 'Huge' size

9 'Quickbar' slots

-Any size item fits here

Armors function as they do now, However a pack placed in your chest slot changes the GUI. Depending on your pack, and the materials used to make it, it can hold between a 6 stacks of tiny size, to 18 stacks of huge size. Purses hold between 6 stacks of tiny size and 9 stacks of Huge size

Pack/Purse Inv:

Each pack/purse has its own unique inventory, and can not be stacked. Also, attempting to put the pack/purse inside of its self would cause the pack/purse to drop into the world. hide sacks would qualify as tier 1, and steel packs are final tier(with blue steel being lava proof)

Quiver Inv:

Currently, nothing. Give feedback

Death:

If a play who owns a pack dies, the pack acts like a death chest and places it as its self at the location of death. This only applies if the pack is worn. If it is held in an inventory slot it drops as an item. If the player dies in lava, the pack will not place its self and drops as an item. Exception: Made using blue steel.

Rendering:

The pack slot items are rendered on the back of the player. For compatibility issues, I suggest Render API(it appears to alleviate issues when properly implemented. )

Notes:

Weight should not become a slowness Debuff on the player. Sorry, but that ruins gameplay.

Purses are an early game item that is massively ranked up, while Packs are late game ranked buffs Combining max tier of both results in full vanilla level inv. Please feel free to argue this

Ok, I've just hit a deadblock... I cant figure out how to write any more. This idea is simple, yet complex and I am not suited to such a task I have layed the framework, help build the rest..

Edited by ECC

I really like this, but I have one question. If you are wearing a pack how will that interact with a chest plate?

I really like this, but I have one question. If you are wearing a pack how will that interact with a chest plate?

Craft the chestplate and stick a backpack on it? You can stick pouches on armor, and the extra wool will help if someone shoots an arrow at you, but the extra weight on your chest will slow you down.

Hmm... .upon further thought i suppose its not all that logical to put pouches on your armor without them being very very small, like one row of 8 inventory space, but you cant just sow pouches on steel armor, since its only logical on leather.

Edited by cedenjr

How about Packs are worn in the Chestplate slot, and Purses are worn in the pack slot? I mean, you dont run into battle with a pack on. This would add in management, and reduce the chances of this being called 'OP'

Purses would be tier 1 to mid tier storage items. They drop on the ground on death. They can be made form the same materials as any pack.

inn fact, as this stands, its a MAJOR debuff early on XD.

also, typing as I think, any map from before this(assuming it gets implemented) would have inv's entirely broken.

Obviously, im one of those people that in order to think needs to bounce ideas off of others.

Yeah i like it (haha obviously) buut...don't make steelpacks...that has to change...maybe steelstrengthened...or layered...but not exclusively steel...just imagine wearing that...

When i was thinking tiers, I was imagining difficulty to pass though tiers. Steel is amazingly hard to get early on, and continues to be fairly expensive later. Making it the highest tier possible(short of lava invurnable blue steel)

odd thought comes to mind. I read that a steel helm in real life weighed approximately 40 pounds. With that in mind, and the ideal you cant wear armor and a pack, wouldn't metal packs not be unreasonable?

When i was thinking tiers, I was imagining difficulty to pass though tiers. Steel is amazingly hard to get early on, and continues to be fairly expensive later. Making it the highest tier possible(short of lava invurnable blue steel)

odd thought comes to mind. I read that a steel helm in real life weighed approximately 40 pounds. With that in mind, and the ideal you cant wear armor and a pack, wouldn't metal packs not be unreasonable?

Well the problem with metal packs is the fact that your gonna have to be really strong to carry that much weight, unless the packs themselves dont hold much, if one was to trudge along with one of these the debuff would have to be really strong on the player, he wont be able to run, and he uses up his food bar like a starving beast. But its not unreasonable.

Gameplay =/= reality. I wanna stay away from weight effecting movement. Otherwise, it ruins it for players.

Gameplay =/= reality. I wanna stay away from weight effecting movement. Otherwise, it ruins it for players.

Alright, but there has to be some sort of drawback to carrying extra space to balance it, other than that the idea is good.

I think you should be able to carry multiple purses/pouches, maybe with a maximum of 3 or 4 for pouches and 2 purses?

Because you have to have some sort of inventory in battle, and yes, a chest plate is necessary for battle.

I think you should be able to carry multiple purses/pouches, maybe with a maximum of 3 or 4 for pouches and 2 purses?

Because you have to have some sort of inventory in battle, and yes, a chest plate is necessary for battle.

I agree, but i think the higher teir you go up the less purses/pouches you can carry, Sure the inventory is bigger, and once you get to the highest tier you can only carry 1 purse and 1 pouch.

Made an edit to OP reguarding Purses and packs.

'Alright, but there has to be some sort of drawback to carrying extra space to balance it, other than that the idea is good.'

No no, you misunderstand, this entirely removes your player inv and REPLACES it with MUCH less to start with. you have to get packs to increase it to vanilla level standards.

'I think you should be able to carry multiple purses/pouches, maybe with a maximum of 3 or 4 for pouches and 2 purses?'

How about all purses is a single item? Easier to work with, less bulk on the menu. what I mean is that the image is of multiple purses, but its a single item.

I like the idea of a limited inventory that can expand later, but I'd like to see it done in a way that doesn't change the interface all that much. So here's my thoughts on that.

I think you should just start with your quick bar slots at first. This would represent things that Steve is actually carrying.

First level would be making some bags. These would go in your quick bar (you have to carry the bag), but putting a bag in a quick bar slot would enable the 3 inventory spaces above that slot with the capability to hold medium items. You could see the contents of all your bags at once on the inventory screen. Since carrying more bags uses up more quick bar, this presents a nice trade-off between how much you can carry and how accessible it is.

Second level would be making a backpack. There could be a special equip slot for it, and it would add a 4th row of inventory (9 slots) capable of holding large items.

Finally, huge items could only be carried in your quick bar. Maybe a wheelbarrow item could be added at some point, which would work like a bag but give you huge slots instead, and possibly be limited to only having one.

I think this would present some nice trade-offs in what you decide to carry with you without being to burdensome to the player as far as the interface goes.

'These would go in your quick bar'

I rather not use that space for anything by my tools. I rather hit the E button and see my inv there like normal as apposed to how every other mod does it by right clicking with the item. What I proposed was that you put the pack into a slot and it 'unlocks' a number of slots in your inv.

The tier of the pack would determine the size limits of items as well I dont want to entirely nerf player inv, so what I suggested was to have the player build their inv from being able to carry only small things in a pack to a top-tier-carries-anything-be-all-end-all-endgame

in the end, they have the equivalent of vanilla PLUS lava protection, a nice end game perk.

A separate version of the basic pack would be the craftsman pack, would sacrifice 3 slots of inventory and upgrades your inventory crafting slots to a 3x3 without the need for a crafting table being carried around.

already suggested like 500 bajillion times but yeah ik totally agree that there should definitlely be a much better inventory system than there is currently

@redundantusage: That is pure genius, man. Really like that idea.

Alrighty, I'm definitely supporting this and although this has been suggested many, many times it needs a new clean thread as all the other threads are more or less useless, so I'm glad you made this new thread.

So, just a couple things. To start rather than making a brand new slot why not make the slots allow the acceptance of multiple items at once, so essentially item layering. This allows for more armor depth and a huge amount of storage possibilties (backpacks, quivers, purses, satchels, pocketed coats, sheaths, etc.). Now people have to know what order they need to put armor on or they will suffer the consequences.

Obviously this could be abused though so there are some limits. Certain things can't be put over other things for example you can't put a chestplate on over a backpack just the basic common sense things. And then the second limitation now I won't you all to read this very slowly so we don't have any misunderstandings........Steve.........should be............slowed....... by the.......weight...... of his BAGS.......NOT........ the weight....... of the.........Items. Now read it again, if you say anything about item weight I will ignore your comment. This would add combat depth and specialization those with a quick fighting style or who travel very long distances will want to travel light. Those who want to 'tank' or are going on a mining trip will have a lot of heavy gear on and probably won't move very fast.

Nine slots of quickbar is switched to one (unless we implement double wielding than two) but the quickbar can be expanded using a storage item that allows you to pull something out quickly (sheath, quiver, knife in your boot).

<p>Yeah, it's been suggested before, but this was actually thought out, unlike the other threads, about REALIZTIC INVERTORY YAH HURR DURP! It would nicely take into consideration the new item weight/size.

'Alrighty, I'm definitely supporting this and although this has been suggested many, many times it needs a new clean thread as all the other threads are more or less useless, so I'm glad you made this new thread.'

A certain someone suggested someone make this suggestion thread... I stupidly said i would do it.... Blame that person, they totally deserve it ;D

/joke

'A separate version of the basic pack would be the craftsman pack, would sacrifice 3 slots of inventory and upgrades your inventory crafting slots to a 3x3 without the need for a crafting table being carried around.'

It would necessarily be a mid tier item at the very least, otherwise you have stone/wood age peoples capable of making anything the spot without prep.

I will add this though.

On a second thought, perhaps its the red steel version? Blue steel grands lava immunity if you die with it on, red could be the final tier bonus for crafting. Im going to wait for a reply on this before I add it to the OP.

'So, just a couple things. To start rather than making a brand new slot why not make the slots allow the acceptance of multiple items at once, so essentially item layering. This allows for more armor depth and a huge amount of storage possibilties (backpacks, quivers, purses, satchels, pocketed coats, sheaths, etc.). Now people have to know what order they need to put armor on or they will suffer the consequences.'

Yes, and no. Too much depth COULD end badly. More slots is easier for newbies, and I would imagine that coding it in would be simpler then recoding the entire player. Then again, this would constitute a large change anyways, so... your call. I dont want to add sheaths, for the simple fact that is practically useless in the game world, and pocketed coats just does not feel... 'right' Quivers is something that for the life of me I don't know why I didn't write despite actually thinking though it. Adding it. also, i imagined Purses and Satchels as one in the same for game play purposes, sooo, understand my reasoning.

'Obviously this could be abused though so there are some limits. Certain things can't be put over other things for example you can't put a chestplate on over a backpack just the basic common sense things. And then the second limitation now I won't you all to read this very slowly so we don't have any misunderstandings........Steve.........should be............slowed....... by the.......weight...... of his BAGS.......NOT........ the weight....... of the.........Items. Now read it again, if you say anything about item weight I will ignore your comment. This would add combat depth and specialization those with a quick fighting style or who travel very long distances will want to travel light. Those who want to 'tank' or are going on a mining trip will have a lot of heavy gear on and probably won't move very fast.'

Ew, item weight. Can you imagine that implemented when you have gold or lead? ew.

I am not into tank vs rouge armor weight styles though, but I dont see why not if its a subtle alteration. The player is a slow character as it is. you would need to buff speed of player before considering a Debuff on it.

'Nine slots of quickbar is switched to one (unless we implement double wielding than two) but the quickbar can be expanded using a storage item that allows you to pull something out quickly (sheath, quiver, knife in your boot).'

that would entirely make the inventory useless at the beginning of a game. It would push many players off, especially newbies from tech mods and vanilla. This mod is about survival, and I get that, but removing the quickbar miiight be death of us all. Lets just assume the player has a few pockets on them... Even if they use a nude skin ;D

Alternatively, the Quickbar could be split in half, the 4 on the left being the left hand, the 4 on the right being right hand, and the middle.. eh, not sure. This needs some further thought though and honestly should be a separate thread though. Unless you care to contradict me(with something awesome :D)

Still waiting for dunk or boixx to come in with a big red NO. hehehe. I know that its a good idea at its base, but there might be problems later with the act of implementing it and practical issues as well. I mean, nerfing the chests the first time was a turn off to a number of players from what I understand. This proposes to entirely rewrite inv and make it entirely nerfed for beginning players.

'So, just a couple things. To start rather than making a brand new slot why not make the slots allow the acceptance of multiple items at once, so essentially item layering. This allows for more armor depth and a huge amount of storage possibilties (backpacks, quivers, purses, satchels, pocketed coats, sheaths, etc.). Now people have to know what order they need to put armor on or they will suffer the consequences.'

Yes, and no. Too much depth COULD end badly. More slots is easier for newbies, and I would imagine that coding it in would be simpler then recoding the entire player. Then again, this would constitute a large change anyways, so... your call. I dont want to add sheaths, for the simple fact that is practically useless in the game world, and pocketed coats just does not feel... 'right' Quivers is something that for the life of me I don't know why I didn't write despite actually thinking though it. Adding it. also, i imagined Purses and Satchels as one in the same for game play purposes, sooo, understand my reasoning.

What if you accomplished this change by crafting? You could, for example put a chesplate and a quiver into a crafting grid and voila, you have a chestplate with a quiver, then when you want to remove the quiver pop it back in and it gives you the two individual pieces back.

I did think about that, but then the issues of damage values comes into place and I figured that the more advanced your armor is, the harder it is for the armor to break into its base parts. I mean, you have a quiver, some light armor, and a pack on all at once, what happens when your armor breaks? well, Minecraft either A) breaks everything and you lose all your stuff or B) it tries to drop the broken items into your inv which now has been reduced to just a quickbar and thus is full.

Either way, you lose your stuff. What I want is simpler, and allows equipment to function. Why make it more advanced when a simple option does just as well, eh?

onto the quiver its self: should a 'tab' of three or so slots open up when you have a quiver? like the tab appears to the right of the GUI.

I can't see waiting for red or blue steel to be crafting a backpack that provides the functionality of 4 planks of wood. But then again, I'm also not a dev, they could make it that you have to wait for steel to get a 2x2 if they really wanted. Progression is nice, but crafting 3x3 isn't an end game function, it's something that requires that you have 1 stick and 2 pieces of stone in your inventory to accomplish.

I pretty much agree, but I really think *armour* should add a slowness debuff at least.

this whole weight and size thing confuzzles me. explain please somebody