Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bassetts

Initial Shelter

16 posts in this topic

I am currently playing on 49j but have been keeping track of the change log so I can keep my viewers up to date with changes. One major change I noticed was dirt blocks slipping off each other and supports only being able to be made with a saw. This got me wondering how to build some initial shelter as I have been using dirt and supports. My initial thought was log piles and someone also told me about cobble (I never knew you could place stones, doh!), so I did some tests and found that log piles will stay up but cobble seems a little random. Is there a pattern as to when cobble will stay supported or is it random?

I am also wondering if log piles have any benefit with more logs in them or if that is purely good for storage and charcoal pits?

You're better off just using the logs themselves as the shelter, or just using cobble. Just be wary about cobble though, because onced it's placed it's a pain to get out of the way without a pickaxe. I was lucky and spawned in a huge sequoia forest, but even with small trees you should be able to get enough logs to make a rudimentary house. Or if you want, you could use the axe and make planks, but you would need a lot more wood to make the plank blocks. It's better to just use the log, not logpiles, as shelter.

Cobble is pretty good about staying up, don't think it works like the dirt and sand, so you could use it for like walls or something, but it's better off just using the cobble for tools until you get a chisel, then turn them into brick blocks.

You're better off just using the logs themselves as the shelter, or just using cobble. Just be wary about cobble though, because onced it's placed it's a pain to get out of the way without a pickaxe. I was lucky and spawned in a huge sequoia forest, but even with small trees you should be able to get enough logs to make a rudimentary house. Or if you want, you could use the axe and make planks, but you would need a lot more wood to make the plank blocks. It's better to just use the log, not logpiles, as shelter.

Cobble is pretty good about staying up, don't think it works like the dirt and sand, so you could use it for like walls or something, but it's better off just using the cobble for tools until you get a chisel, then turn them into brick blocks.

What do you mean by using the logs not log piles? Also I can't place cobble as a ceiling without it falling down the majority of the time.

What do you mean by using the logs not log piles? Also I can't place cobble as a ceiling without it falling down the majority of the time.

In the new release, you can place logs(like vanilla logs) and log piles instead of just log piles. To place logs, simply place it on the ground like you would with dirt. To place log piles, hold shift and place it on the ground. The logs take a really long time to break with an axe so it may be better to do the shift-click method to place the log piles so you can rearrange them later fairly easily.

The trick is sticks/rock -> axe & shovel

axe + tree = logs

axe+log = beams

shovel + dirt = dirt blocks

beams+rocks/dirt = shelter

In the new release, you can place logs(like vanilla logs) and log piles instead of just log piles. To place logs, simply place it on the ground like you would with dirt. To place log piles, hold shift and place it on the ground. The logs take a really long time to break with an axe so it may be better to do the shift-click method to place the log piles so you can rearrange them later fairly easily.

Ah, that will be why I can't do it then. I am sticking to 49j for my let's play because going 50+ the terrain generation is different.

axe + tree = logs

axe+log = beams

This is the way I have done in but in the newer releases you need a saw for making beams and dirt also won't sit on top of other dirt, it slides off.

When I start in the new version I just make a log wall around an area to use as shelter. There's also changes to mob spawning, where if you hang out in a spot for several hours (in game hours) then mobs won't spawn in that chunk or adjacent chunks unless you leave for a long time. So if you don't spend too much time away and are careful when leaving your home area, you don't even really need a shelter.

When I start in the new version I just make a log wall around an area to use as shelter. There's also changes to mob spawning, where if you hang out in a spot for several hours (in game hours) then mobs won't spawn in that chunk or adjacent chunks unless you leave for a long time. So if you don't spend too much time away and are careful when leaving your home area, you don't even really need a shelter.

that until game mecanics like cold afecting steves health are implemented and also things like weather afecting him in some bad way (like being wet making your health drops, getting a fever or something in those lines).

really with the new mob spawning mecanics i dont even bother building anything for shelter basically my mineration camp is just an open relatively flat area with my tools and equipment no huts or houses of any time as after 6 hours in place the mobs dont bother me anymore...

would be cool to have some incentive to build a shelter though...

axe + tree = logs

axe+log = beams

Bassets, keep in mind that the information above is only correct for versions earlier than 51. Once you upgrade to 51 or 52, you'll need a saw+log to make a beam.

bloodravenD's comment about using "logs instead of logpiles" doesn't really apply to you either. With 49j, you are not able to place logs, you can only place log piles. With version 51, right clicking with a log will place it once again as a log (same as in Vanilla Minecraft), and log piles are only placable using shift-right click.

I'm not sure why he says that logs are better than logpiles for construction though. Log piles are much easier to remove than logs in v51+, and they keep monsters out. Maybe the blast resistance is lower??

To make columns use the log block, the log piles require you to fill them with at least 1 log of 4 different types of trees to pile them upwards.

To make columns use the log block, the log piles require you to fill them with at least 1 log of 4 different types of trees to pile them upwards.

is this information correct? 4 DIFFERENT types?

is this information correct? 4 DIFFERENT types?

I perhaps didn't express myself correctly. From the Changelog
  • Logs can now be placed vertically or horizontally just as vanilla. To place a log pile, crouch and place or place on the side of an already full log pile. It’s no longer possible to place log piles on top of non-full log piles.
That means, if you are using only one kind of log, you need to completely fill it with 16 logs to make a new logpile block on top of it but not for the sides. But you can get arround it by using just 1 log of 4 different trees to make it "full" and thus allowing you to put a new log pile block on above it.

Actually, if you have 2 kinds of logs, then you only need 4 logs in each pile. In the first pile, you put one log of type 'A' in each slot. Then in the next pile, you put in one log of type 'B' in each slot, and then just alternate as you build up.

Also, if you are building your stack against a wall, then you only need one log of each type. Just shift click the wall, and the new log pile will be created, regardless of what is underneath it.

Lastly, if you are building a house with log piles as walls, you can always put 4 logs into each wall piece, and then after you finish, remove 3 of the 4, if you are that worried about wasting logs.

Once again, none of this applies to version 49. I suppose we are just entertaining ourselves with the discussion :)

That means, if you are using only one kind of log, you need to completely fill it with 16 logs to make a new logpile block on top of it but not for the sides. But you can get arround it by using just 1 log of 4 different trees to make it "full" and thus allowing you to put a new log pile block on above it.

if you have a 5th type of log :P

Yes, and that. There are many workarrounds it, Bioxx just put it there to combat easy shelter a bit. All of this will be changed in the future