Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ellingtonisland

More Clay and Reusable Ceramic molds

42 posts in this topic

Clay should be easier to find and there should be more types, also ceramic molds should be resuable so you don't have to make one new one right after another and hunt down clay to do it.

Clay should be easier to find and there should be more types, also ceramic molds should be resuable so you don't have to make one new one right after another and hunt down clay to do it.

Why do you need more clay if molds are re-usable?

I think the clay thing is intentional, i'm not sure about this...

About the ceramic molds... Well, when you are shaping the bar, the metal is still in the mold and you can't take it out without giving it the desired form. You have to hit it with a hammer for it to take that form. Ceramic isn't undestructable, so it makes sense that the mold breaks.

Edit:

Why do you need more clay if molds are re-usable?

Because he can't make the molds he want to use again if he doesn't has clay in the first place ._. it's not like if you spawned with a stack of them...

Metathread bro. Use that. Also, Im all for more colours of clay. I've used quite a few, and Impurities can make the difference in how the end product looks. Expecally if I want to see players build clay homes early game White clay=ew. Give me some earthen wares

also, clay should be found in places other then rivers.

Because he can't make the molds he want to use again if he doesn't has clay in the first place ._. it's not like if you spawned with a stack of them...

That's why I said "why do you need more clay", I didn't say "why do you need any clay". If molds are re-usable, you only need enough clay for a few molds, not tons and tons of the stuff.

But the problem is, clay being as rare as it seems to be right now, he probably doesn't has any, nor any already made clay molds. That's, i think, why he is suggesting for the clay to be a more common found.

Now that i think about it, why we are argueing for something like this? ._.

I find that clay needs to be more common and consistent, I'm having an extreme mould deficiency and it's not good. Searched a 2000 block radius around my home in creative out of desperation and found not a single block. I have way too much ore in my bloomery that can't go anywhere, something has to be done.

Easy solution, make collect "pockets" generate underground replacing some of the lowest level dirt. To go along with there should be a level of loose rock between dirt and solid rock. It could be gravel or maybe some other kind of similar block.

yknow i realised something

molds are almost never re-usable, because usually they are made of sand or non-fired clay so that they can be easily broken apart when the molding is finished

the exception is metal molds, but those prolly wouldnt work for shaping metal ingots, especially if they're the same metal

happy is a good seed i like the river

happy is a good seed i like the river

waitwhat? random useless post is random and useless

waitwhat? random useless post is random and useless

the seed "happy" has clay in the river you spawn next to

He is trying to be helpful, nothing wrong with that, although this is the suggestion forums.

I'm all for clay types and the ability to create bricks out of them, I would go ape over a claybrick house. That said, any time I have trouble locating native clay, I find the nearest ocean and check out around the shore and towards the base. If you don't find clay there then you should probably try another seed. Easiest way I've found to get said clay at the bottom is get a couple stacks of dirt and basically fill in the dirt to cover the clay and then dig down. Man-made clay pit quarry. Profit.

It's not PERFECTLY realistic, but as far as I know, metals may stick to the ceramic during cooling and the mould is smashed to get the metal out. (this doesn't exactly translate into TFC, but oh well)

Pretty new to TFC (5 days now), but I like this idea too even though I was very lucky with clay in my world. Actually I seem to have been pretty lucky in a lot of ways... my spawn was surrounded by surface copper, tin, zinc, and clay. Anyways, before I discovered TFC last weekend, I'd been spending a lot of my time developing my own mod that was basically attempting to do what TFC already did, so I've abandoned that effort, but one of the things I had added in mine was a simple way to dye clay to use when firing bricks.

I think rather than that though, with TFC's awesome world-generator it would make more sense just to have clay be environment-dependent. Like the sand, the clay would appear different colours in the landscape, and when fired into bricks would retain the varying colours and appearance. Not all clay is suitable for ceramics either (or rather some require pre-processing of some sort) so this could easily be built into the game by adding on to existing clay the new types.

I think this not only adds to the realism that is the hallmark of TFC (since clay is one of the oldest and most varied building materials) but also opens up some new possibilities - clay ovens or forges for early metal processing and cooking, and also a processed 'fertilizer' to use on crops to aid depleted soil.

I think this not only adds to the realism that is the hallmark of TFC

Is TFC trying to be as realistic as possible?

No, the aim of TFC is to bring some much needed believability to Minecraft. This means that sometimes realism is compromised for the sake of gameplay whiel still trying to present a world that feels real.

Just a quote from the FAQ i though you should read before saying that :

'round these parts people gert pissy and start breathin' fire down yer ass if ye mention ta "R" word! Be warned, young tallywacker.

;)

'round these parts people gert pissy and start breathin' fire down yer ass if ye mention ta "R" word! Be warned, young tallywacker.

;)

Just a question, are you drunk? :

Just a question, are you drunk? :

Mebbe, Mebbe not. ._.

Believability vs Realism

credibility, credibleness, creditability, creditableness, likelihood, plausibility, plausibleness, validity, validness

absoluteness, actuality, authenticity, being, bottom line, brass tacks, certainty, concreteness, corporeality, deed, entity,existence, genuineness, how things are, like itis, materiality, matter, name of the game, nutsand bolts, object, palpability, perceptibility,phenomenon, presence

Yeah, so I got the *acceptable* terms mixed up. The differences are... limited in a virtual environment. Nothing is reality there to begin with - except ones and zeroes, so realism is always a synonym for believability. TFC Is attempting to create a "believable" environment in the game by making it more similar to "reality". Regardless of the pre-determined norms of this forum, I don't think there is value in nitpicking semantics..

ugh, *facepalm*

nope you're wrong, believability is making something FEEL real, even if it isn't, at least that's the way we look at 'round these parts, bucko.

Maybe you guys failed to notice that Dunk, a developer of the game, was the first to bring up realism in this post. Why not point your fingers where the blame really should be? Nothing against Dunk, he can use the word if he wants, but if he is going to use it, you shouldn't try to make others feel bad for using it as well.

yeahyeah whatever...how do we always end up discussing believability and realism...:D

anyways...I also support the different clay colory...for me the white clay has never felt right, cuz i have never seen any in my life:D If i dig in my Garden i have red earth and a bit deeper red clay...so...

I don't really know what the clay color is dependant on IRL but i guess it comes from the earth color...the earth color comes from the rock color in TFC soo...well..we don't have reddish rocks...WHY don't we have reddish rocks anyway?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0