Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ellingtonisland

More Clay and Reusable Ceramic molds

42 posts in this topic

When I was a kid we used to dig in our backyard, the clay there was gray and we had brown earth.

I actually live on solid red clay. Good for my job (farming) as it holds nutrients well, but it sure makes everything dirty when it gets wet ^_^

P.S, I'm not saying I agree with belivibilty versus realism, ive been on the opposing side of the argument before. But these guys (especially Arch) will argue to the fuckin death because it is word of god. It's best just to go along with it as it really harms nothing...

What we look in the game are things that make sense, not necesarily realistic. The realism has as much place in the mod as fantasy does, as long as the player can look at those elements and think they make sense. If a real life limit which could apply to something in the game was seen as harming for the player experience, then it wouldn't make it into the game; player experience goes over realism.

Maybe you guys failed to notice that Dunk, a developer of the game, was the first to bring up realism in this post. Why not point your fingers where the blame really should be? Nothing against Dunk, he can use the word if he wants, but if he is going to use it, you shouldn't try to make others feel bad for using it as well.

And maybe you fail to see when the realism word is fordibben. In his post, Dunk refered to the realism involved in one of the aspects already in the mod (The fact that you lose the mold when making ingots). This is an accepted use, 'cause he is using the word "realistic" to compare this feature to it's real life equivalent, to judge if it makes or not sense. In Puxapuak's post, he implied that this mod is only about realism. This is a rejected use, 'cause it isn't a true statement. As i said, the mod will sacrifice realism if needed, in order for the player to enjoy the game.

The believability aspect we are referring to, as some members have stated, is not realism. We aimed to create a mod with rules and physical guidelines that "feel" right. If you were to play a game which operated with a horribly maimed version of physics, you would get confused and frustrated because actions and reactions wouldn't behave in a way you could understand or predict.

TFC aims to adress some of the issues with minecraft, from crafting to a balanced metal tier system to farming and crafting requirements.

Examples include altering metal production to be with an anvil, chopping trees down completely at once, not crafting planks into sticks, breaking solid blocks with your bare hands, wooden tools and stone picks, not being able to mine an ore without a proper pickax and putting resource, space and food management on the player, instead of making it too easy.

We just want to play a game which you can understand and play freely. This is not a blocky life simulation.

*snip*

In his post, Dunk refered to the realism involved in one of the aspects already in the mod (The fact that you lose the mold when making ingots). This is an accepted use, 'cause he is using the word "realistic" to compare this feature to it's real life equivalent, to judge if it makes or not sense. In Puxapuak's post, he implied that this mod is only about realism. This is a rejected use, 'cause it isn't a true statement. As i said, the mod will sacrifice realism if needed, in order for the player to enjoy the game.

*snip*

We just want to play a game which you can understand and play freely. This is not a blocky life simulation.

Hmm. That sounds like a pretty fair take on it, I think. I humbly retract my previous use of it... - but only conditionally! :) Conditionally because the point I was trying to make overall is that there are many colours of clay and that they depend largely on the surrounding soil type and such. In this case, the believability is enhanced by bringing this aspect of reality over as well, since it already exists with sand and soil. But I agree, I did stretch its use out of scope and will be more particular about my wording in the future.

Hmm. That sounds like a pretty fair take on it, I think. I humbly retract my previous use of it... - but only conditionally! :) Conditionally because the point I was trying to make overall is that there are many colours of clay and that they depend largely on the surrounding soil type and such. In this case, the believability is enhanced by bringing this aspect of reality over as well, since it already exists with sand and soil. But I agree, I did stretch its use out of scope and will be more particular about my wording in the future.

Well, yeah, i agree with the rest of your previous post... i just felt like the last paragraph wasn't right.

Clay ceramics are not reusable. Trust me I've tried. You have to break the ceramic off the desired metal, and when you fire clay the composition of the Clay changes so you can't recycle clay.

I have a Ceramics class so ik this stuff :)

Clay ceramics are not reusable. Trust me I've tried. You have to break the ceramic off the desired metal, and when you fire clay the composition of the Clay changes so you can't recycle clay.

I have a Ceramics class so ik this stuff :)

Sand molds can be recollected and re-used, though.

Sand molds can be recollected and re-used, though.

But they also require clay or some bonding agent.

But they also require clay or some bonding agent.

Its not as good when you recycle it though it still is a bit gritty

I don't understand how you can go exploring and not find clay. It may be covered with grass, so I suppose if you aren't observant enough you'll miss it. It almost always spawns with at LEAST enough clay to give you a full stack of molds, I've never had trouble finding clay since I started playing with Pre15. If you haven't found any, you aren't looking hard enough, or the gods of Minecraft have decided that you shall use stone tools.

I don't understand how you can go exploring and not find clay. It may be covered with grass, so I suppose if you aren't observant enough you'll miss it. It almost always spawns with at LEAST enough clay to give you a full stack of molds, I've never had trouble finding clay since I started playing with Pre15. If you haven't found any, you aren't looking hard enough, or the gods of Minecraft have decided that you shall use stone tools.

-this guy doesnt get it-

this thread has moved on to alternatives to clay/ceramic molds

read the whole discussion before posting sir

On the colored clay:

As of now white clay patches are fairly noticeable on hillsides and pond bottoms. I've even excavated it from the bottom of the ocean once. Now, if there's matching clay for every type of soil (not exactly matching, maybe, but whatever) wouldn't it make clay harder to find? And if we're keeping current texture, why would clay drop in different colours then?

I want clay bowls, vases, urns, pots, etc

I think we're planning more stuff in the future for clay.

I want clay bowls, vases, urns, pots, etc

I think we're planning more stuff in the future for clay.

And bricks please? BTW, historically Kilns were used to fire clay, which incidentally is the same thing used to smelt Damascus steel in a crucible... *hint hint*

And bricks please? BTW, historically Kilns were used to fire clay, which incidentally is the same thing used to smelt Damascus steel in a crucible... *hint hint*

Isn't the process involved in shaping Damascus what makes it Damascus, not the smelting process?

It is both the ore used, the smelting process, and the forging process. It is very complex and labor intensive to create.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0