Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toboo

Dwarf Fortress Like Enemy Pacing

14 posts in this topic

Since this mod takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress I thought i would make another DF like suggestion. In Dwarf Fortress the first night doesn't have you fighting tons of monsters (unless you choose an Evil biome but thats your fault), the only thing that will fight you is carnivorous animals, maybe animal men and Armok forbid...Elephants *shudders*, you find monsters most of the time when you dig into caverns or they stumble upon your fortress, In Minecraft you see monsters each night and maybe even before then if you wander into a cave, It doesn't make sense to me that every night the Dead rise and green penis monsters and spiders come out of no where. When monsters are a daily routine they lose some of their threat, when you see something like a giant spider you should be thinking "Holy crap a giant spider" instead you think "oh, another spider, guess ill kill it". I have a few ideas that could make Terra Firma craft has the monster pacing be more like DF.

First and foremost I think that monsters should be a bit more tough, currently in Terra firma i have a stone knife and leather armor and thats enough for me to not have to worry about almost any threat and I don't think pumping the difficulty up one level will change that too much, when I see monsters I want to have something to be afraid of, thats what monsters should be SCARY, the threat that the current monsters offer should be more along the line of an angry wild animal which leads me to my next point.

Wild animals should roam freely and repopulate like any peaceful mob, but when they get hungry they will go after a peaceful mob, they may even go after a player, when very hungry they will attack anything on sight including the player, this would obviously need to be well balanced so predators don't extinct prey. Wild animals also may or may not attack the player if provoked, something like a coyote would only fight if it had more coyotes around it, but running away if not, a bear may attack a player no matter how many other bears are around, and something like a mandrill may be unpredictable, stealing shiny things and randomly attacking the player.

Next up monsters, monsters would show up in many different places, in caves, in the depth of the oceans, and sometimes maybe even on the surface, how they would spawn and repopulate would vary from creature to creature, while the Undead may come from anything from necromancers, to evil artifacts or just an evil "biome", while something like an ogre or giant cave worm may still work like animals, repopulating and such, but instead of killing out of hunger they may just be killing thing for fun, or possibly hunger at which point the only difference between them and animals is their level of aggression and how common they are.

Something i think would be neat would be mobs and their AI assigning a patrol path, so instead of wandering around and smacking their face on random stuff they would act like they are actually doing something like searching for their quarry.

Obviously this would only apply to hostile mobs, but given that they will be in crypts i think it will be even more effective that they patrol their crypt. Neutral animal mobs aimless wandering is fine, especially cows.

Hmm, maybe even if the crypt is convergent on a cave system the creatures within could even patrol out into the caves a bit.

I like this idea, mobs actually seeming like their doing something, skeletons patrolling routes, ogres huddled around a makeshift campfire, and wolves stalking there prey are things that come to mind.

There could be other thing like forgotten beasts or something like that but, I'll just leave it at this for now, tell me if you like the idea and any other ideas you have for it.

'Since this mod takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress'

It has long since left that time and now takes inspiration from a variety of sources.

Let the veterans of this forum correct me, but im pretty sure thats the truth.

also, mob spawns have changed dramatically. read the logs.

Something i think would be neat would be mobs and their AI assigning a patrol path, so instead of wandering around and smacking their face on random stuff they would act like they are actually doing something like searching for their quarry.

Obviously this would only apply to hostile mobs, but given that they will be in crypts i think it will be even more effective that they patrol their crypt. Neutral animal mobs aimless wandering is fine, especially cows.

Hmm, maybe even if the crypt is convergent on a cave system the creatures within could even patrol out into the caves a bit.

'Since this mod takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress'

It has long since left that time and now takes inspiration from a variety of sources.

Let the veterans of this forum correct me, but im pretty sure thats the truth.

also, mob spawns have changed dramatically. read the logs.

I do know the inspiration comes from multiple sources, but Dwarf Fortress has a similar format to Minecraft: random generation and the ability to dig through the earth, so a spawning system that worked in DF would more or less work in minecraft, I also know about the changes to mob spawns, these are mostly interesting ideas to tack on.

Yes, both are Voxel universes, Both have an aspect of Sandbox gameplay, and both have PvE. Simularity begins to expodentually decline from there.

I will agree on one thing: Mobs are pathetically weak. Gimme stone age weapons and im set for life. Reduce/remove knockback and you will fix difficulty.

While it's true that TFC has started taking inspiration from many other sources, the idea is still pretty damn cool. It would give yet another "this world is alive" feeling- one I haven't felt since I saw a pack of wolves kill a sheep way back when. The idea that you are a very small part of a very big world is (in my opinion) pretty important for a mod like this.

well i think this goes as part of the "moving mobs underground" thing, seeing as mobs will be much less common, so, they will be much more dificult and acutally be a force to be feared without proper armor and weaponry when you actually do encounter them

Minecraft was inspired by DF

and this matters how?

yes minsraft was inspired by DF does that mean they incorperated every feature of DF into minsraft? no

so neither do we

and this matters how?

yes minsraft was inspired by DF does that mean they incorperated every feature of DF into minsraft? no

so neither do we

I wasn't saying that it matters, just as a reminder. And you are right, if every single feature was in the mod/game wouldn't be TFC or even Minecraft would be a stonesense like mod for DF, that doesn't mean that some features could be also in the game.

While it's true that TFC has started taking inspiration from many other sources, the idea is still pretty damn cool. It would give yet another "this world is alive" feeling- one I haven't felt since I saw a pack of wolves kill a sheep way back when. The idea that you are a very small part of a very big world is (in my opinion) pretty important for a mod like this.

This is exactly what I want, I'm really hoping that TerraFirma will really make minecraft feel alive, the same way dwarf fortress feels really alive, thats why i refer to Dwarf Fortress a lot when it comes to making suggestions.

I'd want tfc to make minecraft feel alive in a unique way, completely different from dwarf fortress, so it could stand out on its own. Unless of course, it's something that should be in any sandbox game.

Minecraft was inspired by DF

This isn't Minecraft, its Terrafirmacraft.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0